The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 August 2024, 12:02 PM   #1
Brent P
2024 Pledge Member

Fixing Up Grandpa’s 3372 for Dad

This is a continuation of a prior post apparently closed by a moderator. I have decided for now to retain the watch in the family and have sent it out to the person best situated that I can see to open it up, give us all a peak inside, give it a cleaning and lubrication and not much more. Hopefully we’ll all see more about this over the next month or so. Frankly, I’m very excited and looking forward to seeing it with my father …

How do I become a pledge member to avoid a post closing again? I’ve looked around and maybe am blind . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Rolexc 444892_0013.jpeg (215.1 KB, 616 views)
File Type: jpeg Rolexc 444892_0012.jpeg (186.3 KB, 616 views)
Brent P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2024, 12:32 PM   #2
Brent P
2024 Pledge Member

https://www.rolexforums.com/attachme...1&d=1721200013
Old 2 August 2024, 08:07 PM   #3
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

If you go to your "closed" thread, you will see that R.W.T. - RolexWatchTime - provided you his contact information providing his services.

He is as good as it gets, if not better.

I would recommend you reach out to him.
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2024, 08:31 PM   #4
linesiders

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
If you go to your "closed" thread, you will see that R.W.T. - RolexWatchTime - provided you his contact information providing his services.

He is as good as it gets, if not better.

I would recommend you reach out to him.
Second this - if he is still doing them. He is intimately familiar with these older classics.
Old 3 August 2024, 08:59 AM   #5
offrdmania

Here is the link to become a pledge member.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=930228
Old 3 August 2024, 11:56 AM   #6
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
Second this - if he is still doing them. He is intimately familiar with these older classics.
He is the man!
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 12:23 PM   #7
Brent P
2024 Pledge Member

Icon14

Is my name the right color yet?

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and PMs. So I guess Tommy Taylor is the guy?

New question. The watch has no box, no papers, only the physical condition it’s in and the story I’ve shared. What band would you get for this watch for regifting to your father?

We’re going to keep it but are mindful of its importance in the history of wristwatches. My Dad and I prefer metal or silicone bands because we have terribly sweaty wrists, just like my Grandpa, I suspect. I never knew him. Though Dad said he can’t remember the details, I’m suspecting my Dad ditched the watch bands that came to him with the watch because they were leather (and therein the original clasp was lost too). All that in favor of a Spiedel metal band (and posts too likely) that came to me with the watch. Spiedel, as you may know, is currently trading at $29 or so.

So, to the community, what watch band should we get to mostly make the watch formost beautiful, useful and also restore it at the same time? We could get an original band on the secondary market, but sadly it would be off of a different watch and be much more suspect than I think we’ll see the movement to be. A breathing silicone band also might look awesome. And I imagine original or appropriate lug posts will be important to find, at least those covered in 14 or 18K gold, so not to wear them.
Old 6 August 2024, 09:41 PM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

To be honest, I would suggest a nice leather or exotic skin (croc) strap, possibly one with a water-resistant lining, and just replace it when it is damaged from sweat.

Silicone straps are horrible crappy cheap things and dust collectors. Natural rubber straps are better, but still totally inappropriate for that dressy gold watch. A gold bracelet for that watch would involve a serious hunt and would probably cost twice the value of the watch itself if you found one. Rolex also made some gold-filled bracelets, although they are not easy to find in wearable condition. Keep in mind that this was not originally a bracelet watch, and so it may not be possible to find appropriate end-links.
Old 9 August 2024, 02:05 PM   #9
southtexas

Holy hell that looks to be in awesome shape. As everyone has already mentioned, Tommy is definitely the man for the job.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 04:02 AM   #10
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

I will have the watch Monday hopefully. I realize that this forum leans to the Sport Models and things. People scoff at the size, etc., of these early watches. The truth is, these WERE the collectible Rolex in the 80s and early 90s, when you could pick up hand wind Daytonas for 350.00 in Pawn shops and their showcases were full of 1675's at the same price...I remember when the first 6538 went for 3500.00 because everyone got the word that it was the James Bond sub...and we were aghast. If these watches had not become popular in those times, there might not BE a mechanical watch industry like we know it today. At that time Rolex was one of the ONLY marques pushing and sticking with tried and true mechanical movements. Everyone was far more interested in the new technology. These watches literally helped keep the interest in even Rolex alive to a great degree. Presently, they have only a limited popularity amongst purists and largely collectors in Japan and Asia.

I have serviced hundreds of these watches, from pristine to basket cases. I learned how to work on Rolex BECAUSE of these watches. The man who taught me initially, was a Certified Rolex Watchmaker and former AD in the 1950s, who worked on these when they were new. He managed several Bailey, Banks and Biddle stores in the 80's and 90's. I met him the first day I got my very first Rolex.
He knew more about the running changes and inconsistencies of these movements than anyone on earth probably.

Rolex serviced this one in 1985 in Geneva as a special favor to me.
I later did it over again a few times.

After speaking with Brent extensively, his watch is a very, very unique piece. The watch was likely only worn regularly for maybe 5 years, if that. After 1951, only occasionally by the next generation. As anyone who has a knowledge of these watches can tell, his watch is 100% original, down to the fine milling lines and chamfer on the SIDE of the engine turned bezel. It's like brand new from that standpoint. Yes it has fine lines from wear, but this is as pristine as you will ever find unless it was never worn or sold. From what we can surmise it has NEVER BEEN OPENED. NEVER been serviced.
This is a lot of extra pressure on the watch repair person. It will be very interesting to note what marks if any are inside on the movement from original assembly in 1946.
Most watchmakers today could care less about anything like this nor would the care to even work on it.
I didn't start out to work on watches. I loved the design ethic. My father was an aspiring automotive designer and was hired by Studebaker 2 weeks before they announced they would cease automobile production. He loved the "moderne" look and streamline design of his 3065 that he bought new also pictured. This inspired my own passion for Rolex and Rolex history.
I am excited beyond expression to see inside this time capsule.
I took this last photo in 2015 when I took his watch to see its birthplace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3266_zpsd7fee06c.jpg (148.5 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3849_zpszawjjpos.jpg (219.6 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex building 3065.jpg (200.2 KB, 321 views)
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 06:01 AM   #11
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
I will have the watch Monday hopefully. I realize that this forum leans to the Sport Models and things. People scoff at the size, etc., of these early watches. The truth is, these WERE the collectible Rolex in the 80s and early 90s, when you could pick up hand wind Daytonas for 350.00 in Pawn shops and their showcases were full of 1675's at the same price...I remember when the first 6538 went for 3500.00 because everyone got the word that it was the James Bond sub...and we were aghast. If these watches had not become popular in those times, there might not BE a mechanical watch industry like we know it today. At that time Rolex was one of the ONLY marques pushing and sticking with tried and true mechanical movements. Everyone was far more interested in the new technology. These watches literally helped keep the interest in even Rolex alive to a great degree. Presently, they have only a limited popularity amongst purists and largely collectors in Japan and Asia.

I have serviced hundreds of these watches, from pristine to basket cases. I learned how to work on Rolex BECAUSE of these watches. The man who taught me initially, was a Certified Rolex Watchmaker and former AD in the 1950s, who worked on these when they were new. He managed several Bailey, Banks and Biddle stores in the 80's and 90's. I met him the first day I got my very first Rolex.
He knew more about the running changes and inconsistencies of these movements than anyone on earth probably.

Rolex serviced this one in 1985 in Geneva as a special favor to me.
I later did it over again a few times.

After speaking with Brent extensively, his watch is a very, very unique piece. The watch was likely only worn regularly for maybe 5 years, if that. After 1951, only occasionally by the next generation. As anyone who has a knowledge of these watches can tell, his watch is 100% original, down to the fine milling lines and chamfer on the SIDE of the engine turned bezel. It's like brand new from that standpoint. Yes it has fine lines from wear, but this is as pristine as you will ever find unless it was never worn or sold. From what we can surmise it has NEVER BEEN OPENED. NEVER been serviced.
This is a lot of extra pressure on the watch repair person. It will be very interesting to note what marks if any are inside on the movement from original assembly in 1946.
Most watchmakers today could care less about anything like this nor would the care to even work on it.
I didn't start out to work on watches. I loved the design ethic. My father was an aspiring automotive designer and was hired by Studebaker 2 weeks before they announced they would cease automobile production. He loved the "moderne" look and streamline design of his 3065 that he bought new also pictured. This inspired my own passion for Rolex and Rolex history.
I am excited beyond expression to see inside this time capsule.
I took this last photo in 2015 when I took his watch to see its birthplace.
Your watch is beautiful. So nice Tommy. I'm inspired to switch watches out and find my closest to these.
Old 11 August 2024, 02:31 PM   #12
southtexas

So glad you selected RWT to service this watch; he is very knowledgeable, and a true fanatic to the core. You’re in the best hands.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 04:45 PM   #13
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

I received the watch from Brent today. I will say that it is a stunning piece.
On first observations I will note that the case has been opened as there is evidence of the key marking the back of the mid-case. This however could have even been when the watch was engraved as the person doing that might've wished to have the back separate.
Remarkably there is finishing on the case back itself that I had never seen because simply, I've never come across one that hadn't had some polish to the case back. The backs of these have a straight satin finish. However for about 3 mm in from the reeded part where the case key fits it is actually circular satin running around the edge of the case back.
This watch is by all indications 77 years old. Serial lists put it at 78 years old. It was engraved in 1947. The watch belonged to the OP's grandfather who did not wear it after 1951. It was later property of the OP's father who does not remember ever having it serviced. Lots of memories fade in 60+ years but we will see if there are any markings in the case back.

Just for fun to see what I might be up against, I wound the watch fully and put it on the timegrapher. Astonishingly the watch had nearly 300 degrees amplitude in the flat (we dream of things like this when fully serviced and on this movement are happy with pretty much anything over 250.) The beat error was .2 milliseconds. These do not have any provision for correcting the beat error. It is done at the collet by rotating the hairspring on the staff. I got mine back from Rolex Geneva in 1985 and it was 3.2 ms. When this watch was built they didn't have the type of machinery to actually see these types of things in the same way we do today. Tolerances were much wider. .2 ms on a watch this old, that has not been serviced, is exceptional.
The watch is keeping near chronometer time for its grade and era, THROUGH THE POSITIONS, with NO service in possibly its entire 78 year life. I can see definitely that the pallet stones are dry by the reading but...this is one incredible watch. I would be OVER the moon happy with results like this is showing, AFTER service on one of these.
Time capsule. Let's hope it runs this consistently after the service.
More later.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 06:42 PM   #14
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Icon4

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
I received the watch from Brent today. I will say that it is a stunning piece.
On first observations I will note that the case has been opened as there is evidence of the key marking the back of the mid-case. This however could have even been when the watch was engraved as the person doing that might've wished to have the back separate.
Remarkably there is finishing on the case back itself that I had never seen because simply, I've never come across one that hadn't had some polish to the case back. The backs of these have a straight satin finish. However for about 3 mm in from the reeded part where the case key fits it is actually circular satin running around the edge of the case back.
This watch is by all indications 77 years old. Serial lists put it at 78 years old. It was engraved in 1947. The watch belonged to the OP's grandfather who did not wear it after 1951. It was later property of the OP's father who does not remember ever having it serviced. Lots of memories fade in 60+ years but we will see if there are any markings in the case back.

Just for fun to see what I might be up against, I wound the watch fully and put it on the timegrapher. Astonishingly the watch had nearly 300 degrees amplitude in the flat (we dream of things like this when fully serviced and on this movement are happy with pretty much anything over 250.) The beat error was .2 milliseconds. These do not have any provision for correcting the beat error. It is done at the collet by rotating the hairspring on the staff. I got mine back from Rolex Geneva in 1985 and it was 3.2 ms. When this watch was built they didn't have the type of machinery to actually see these types of things in the same way we do today. Tolerances were much wider. .2 ms on a watch this old, that has not been serviced, is exceptional.
The watch is keeping near chronometer time for its grade and era, THROUGH THE POSITIONS, with NO service in possibly its entire 78 year life. I can see definitely that the pallet stones are dry by the reading but...this is one incredible watch. I would be OVER the moon happy with results like this is showing, AFTER service on one of these.
Time capsule. Let's hope it runs this consistently after the service.
More later.
Incredible!!!
Old 14 August 2024, 11:44 AM   #15
Brent P
2024 Pledge Member

Saw your update below Tommy. Thanks! Please keep us all updated here if you wish. I’m just happy to learn about it from you and everyone.
Old 14 August 2024, 11:19 PM   #16
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Nice one in Japan: https://www.watchnet.co.jp/item/view/6043
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 12:38 AM   #17
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent P View Post
What a beautiful watch!

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2024, 01:40 AM   #18
Brent P
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
Google English translation attached. Appears to be a 1945 model.

https://www-watchnet-co-jp.translate..._x_tr_pto=wapp
Old 18 August 2024, 05:47 AM   #19
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent P View Post
This is a continuation of a prior post apparently closed by a moderator. I have decided for now to retain the watch in the family and have sent it out to the person best situated that I can see to open it up, give us all a peak inside, give it a cleaning and lubrication and not much more. Hopefully we’ll all see more about this over the next month or so. Frankly, I’m very excited and looking forward to seeing it with my father …

How do I become a pledge member to avoid a post closing again? I’ve looked around and maybe am blind . . .
Stunning, all the very best of luck & when sorted wear in good health!

Mark.
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 02:47 PM   #20
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Fantastic! The watch is in excellent hands!
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 10:53 PM   #21
DarknerImperator
"TRF" Member

Big Compliments!!!
Really Nice Pieces!!
DarknerImperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 02:38 PM   #22
Brent P
2024 Pledge Member

This discussion is on hold for the moment pending Tommy’s return. For now, please enjoy a few old pics.
Old 3 September 2024, 02:46 PM   #23
Brent P
2024 Pledge Member

Here are some photos. Happy to take it back without any improvements BTW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Rolexc 444892_0001.jpeg (193.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 3 September 2024, 10:27 PM   #24
offrdmania

A stunner! I highly recommend not using stainless spring bars on a gold cased watch. The stainless is a much harder metal and in time will wollow out the holes in the lugs. Get some good gold spring bars.