The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 August 2024, 05:10 PM   #121
thatswhatshesaid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
It surpassed all expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it really did. People are crazy
thatswhatshesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 05:31 PM   #122
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ben View Post
Anyway - as someone said, Hans Wilsdorf’s aim was for Tudors to be widely available and it was intentional to make them “more modest”. The current model seems to achieve this.
In the old days Tudors were basically Rolex cases and designs with ETA movements. Those are the watches I loved.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 12:21 AM   #123
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

This is really just a reflection of how society has changed over the last 40 years, where branding, especially LUXURY branding, has taken on a life of it's own. Monetizing branding on social media is what every company wants to do these days.

When I was young in the 80's, Rolex was in small town jewelry stores and normal malls all over the country. Even into the 90's this was true. My isolated college town of 17,000 people had an AD with a single case and no more than 25-30 watches at any given time.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 12:30 AM   #124
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
In the old days Tudors were basically Rolex cases and designs with ETA movements. Those are the watches I loved.
I get what you're saying at some level however even Rolex stopped using the classic Oyster case when the six digits came around, and that was a massive loss for the brand.

I think one of the coolest things about the professional line, for example, was how they all used the same case with different bezels and complications to suit the function they needed.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 01:22 AM   #125
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
Kat, Kinnakeet and MichelleP - Snobs

Chewie- Regular Folk
Interesting that you picked all women as "Snobs"
Old 9 August 2024, 01:36 AM   #126
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post

I should have included a sarcasm emoji.
My apologies, this thread has had a heavy dose of light hearted irony and I assumed my post would be seen as such.

You three are my favorite “down to earth” and helpful posters and Chewie always uses his humorous billionaire angle. I think most of the forum views you as the most gracious and you had all participated in the thread.

Just humor that didn’t translate per
my intent. I’ll be more careful.

Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 01:37 AM   #127
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I should have included a sarcasm emoji.
My apologies, this thread has had a heavy dose of light hearted irony and I assumed my post would be seen as such.

You three are my favorite “down to earth” and helpful posters and Chewie always uses his humorous billionaire angle. I think most of the forum views you as the most gracious and you had all participated in the thread.

Just humor that didn’t translate per
my intent. I’ll be more careful.

I appreciate the explanation. All good
Old 9 August 2024, 02:27 AM   #128
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
Upscale. Snobs. Regular folks. How do you define these?

Do you really not understand those terms? Try Webster’s!

For the record, though, I fall under the category of “regular folks”.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 02:42 AM   #129
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Yes it’s funny. I just had lunch in McDonalds in work out clothing and a Breitling base ball hat.

The OP should not have been banned but there could be things behind the scenes we don’t know.

All I was trying to say was in the case of this location in Orlando, that Cartier and Rolex wanted out. They want their locations to be in more upscale areas. I know why they pulled out, it’s not really public knowledge. But when they pulled out this WOS location felt it best to close. But that’s why and it’s not surprising. Cartier is opening a boutique in another mall in Orlando.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 02:47 AM   #130
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post

Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
Yes it’s funny. I just had lunch in McDonalds in work out clothing and a Breitling base ball hat.

The OP should not have been banned but there could be things behind the scenes we don’t know.

All I was trying to say was in the case of this location in Orlando, that Cartier and Rolex wanted out. They want their locations to be in more upscale areas. I know why they pulled out, it’s not really public knowledge. But when they pulled out this WOS location felt it best to close. But that’s why and it’s not surprising. Cartier is opening a boutique in another mall in Orlando.
He did reply that he was joking. Just didn't come across that way but all good now
Old 9 August 2024, 03:53 AM   #131
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Question: What if, let's say, someone, call it myself, for example, has no class? Is Tudor just too good for me, and if so, then what would you suggest?

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 04:23 AM   #132
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Question: What if, let's say, someone, call it myself, for example, has no class? Is Tudor just too good for me, and if so, then what would you suggest?
A Diesel? Maybe a fine MVMT?
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 04:27 AM   #133
PNWBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Kat

For the record, I fall under the category of "kick-ass, rock-star unicorn".
PNWBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 05:39 AM   #134
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWBear View Post
For the record, I fall under the category of "kick-ass, rock-star unicorn".

Kat

Old 9 August 2024, 05:40 AM   #135
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

Fossil!

Kat

Old 9 August 2024, 08:59 AM   #136
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
He did reply that he was joking. Just didn't come across that way but all good now
This is why 52 year olds like me shouldn't automatically assume my humor and tone translates on the internet.

I honestly thought using Chewie as "regular folk" would tie in the punchline because he is always using his alter ego of billionaire wealth.

I was just jossing you three because...

You all are seriously in my top 10 of contributors here.

MichelleP is a bay area legend. All the gang at Toppers talk about how down to Earth and kind she is all the time.

Other Michelle is all over the "other watches" forum complimenting buyers and giving advice on inexpensive brands even though it is obvious she has an impressive collection.

Nurse Kat is iconic for her less than wall streetish job and her collection of Seiko's that scream "regular folk" and clearly collects because she loves horology, not because she digs the flex.

I spend so much time here that sometimes it feels like I know you all and briefly forget that I actually don't.

I promise it would have gone over better at a dinner table and a bottle of wine with the intended tone and intonation . It was meant as friendly satire, I assumed through my post history that you understood how respected you are by me. I should have been more cognizant and sensitive of the optics of all three of you being woman. Lesson learned, and apologies to all three of you!

As far as the topic goes, my view is clear. Long live mall rats and hot dog on a stick! Nothing sounds more glorious than buying a Tudor, getting my Iphone protector changed , and getting a tongue piercing all in one fell swoop.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 09:54 AM   #137
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
A Diesel? Maybe a fine MVMT?
Quote:
Fossil!
You are both right, but for now i can only aspire to owning one, dare i hope, all three brands as have none here honestly.

---

Wow, those are expensive. I did find this amazing TSAR BOMBA, looks like $275,000 and will mix well with the 'in' crowd.

Aviation-Grade Carbon Fiber... wow!!! The case is upgraded to carbon fiber case!!! The mirror is made of GENUINE faux sapphire glass.

Waterproof 50M (164FT), that's far more than Patek Philippe!!!

IP Plasma plated movement. PLASMA!!!

_n2b.jpg

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 12:34 AM   #138
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
This is why 52 year olds like me shouldn't automatically assume my humor and tone translates on the internet.

I honestly thought using Chewie as "regular folk" would tie in the punchline because he is always using his alter ego of billionaire wealth.

MichelleP is a bay area legend. All the gang at Toppers talk about how down to Earth and kind she is all the time.

Other Michelle is all over the "other watches" forum complimenting buyers and giving advice on inexpensive brands even though it is obvious she has an impressive collection.

Nurse Kat is iconic for her less than wall streetish job and her collection of Seiko's that scream "regular folk" and clearly collects because she loves horology, not because she digs the flex.

I spend so much time here that sometimes it feels like I know you all and briefly forget that I actually don't.

I promise it would have gone over better at a dinner table and a bottle of wine with the intended tone and intonation . It was meant as friendly satire, I assumed through my post history that you understood how respected you are by me. I should have been more cognizant and sensitive of the optics of all three of you being woman. Lesson learned, and apologies to all three of you!

As far as the topic goes, my view is clear. Long live mall rats and hot dog on a stick! Nothing sounds more glorious than buying a Tudor, getting my Iphone protector changed , and getting a tongue piercing all in one fell swoop.
I’m totally offended I wasn’t listed as a “snob”…
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 02:02 AM   #139
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Quote:

We are all good. Sometimes jokes don't translate in writing.
Have a good weekend