The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 August 2024, 07:01 AM   #1
Ferrari-F430
"TRF" Member

Opinions on Protective film for watch/clasp?

I have never done this before, but I do have PPF on most of my cars and I know that protective film can be amazing as long as the quality is there.

I'm curious to hear what other watch owners who have done it or have thought about using protective film on the clasp to protect from scratches? Now I know that some have done the whole watch as I've seen them on Youtube, but that is definitely not for me.. just the clasp and preventing it from getting the normal scratches is what I am thinking of doing.

Any feedback would be great! This would be for a late model Submariner clasp FYI, if that matters.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 4.59.39 PM.jpeg (82.6 KB, 786 views)
Ferrari-F430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 11:28 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Not for me and get ready for some amazing comments.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 11:37 PM   #3
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Not for me either but it’s your watch
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 01:56 AM   #4
INC

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Is it safe to wear a plastic protector?
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 05:01 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Not for me just cannot see any point, wearing any watch it will get scratched that's a simple fact.But all normal wearing scratches easily rectified at normal routine RSC service.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 10:10 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
plasticsofa.png
Old 10 August 2024, 10:58 AM   #7
Easy E

It’s trailer park
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 01:02 PM   #8
fozzyf18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTII,TT & SS Sub
I was wearing my recently acquired JC DSSD and realized that there was a small piece of protective film on the band that the AD had missed removing. I immediately removed the film and carried on. But that is just me. I do not mind scratches.
fozzyf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 11:27 PM   #9
Dave O
"TRF" Member

I do on any watch that has a polished center on the clasp. And I only do the polished center strip and associated polished pieces on the clasp clip. Can't even notice unless you get very close to it (as long as you are using a quality product and do a quality install). Without it, the polished center strip looks really bad really quickly. It's the part on the watch that gets the most wear so why not.

Note: The attached pic is at a high magnification. From a foot away you can't even notice it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5257.1.jpg (204.2 KB, 736 views)
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 11:44 PM   #10
hojlund
"TRF" Member

I don't use any protection, those dings and scratches are just part of the rolex experience that you better learn to live with. those stickers also ruin the beauty of the rolexes, it's a shame.
hojlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 11:47 PM   #11
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
I can see both sides, my WG Daytona has quickly racked up some hairline scratches, ok they will come I get it, but it does bug me .. I don’t want to pay Ł29,000 on a watch and look scratched up, but that’s just me ..
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 12:00 AM   #12
talkingbollox
"TRF" Member

I don't like scratches on clasps so I use 'invisible shield" phone screen film that have been superceded by glass screens. I measure, cut and apply to the clasps using the supplied liquid spray. Here's an example on a BB58:

I replace them when they fray and peel off at the corners.
talkingbollox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 12:04 AM   #13
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
I can see both sides, my WG Daytona has quickly racked up some hairline scratches, ok they will come I get it, but it does bug me .. I don’t want to pay Ł29,000 on a watch and look scratched up, but that’s just me ..
Agree. It bugs me as well, which is why I do it on polished clasps. As I mentioned above, if done right, you can't even see it - and no more scratches as you can tell by my pic above.

I would never do an entire watch. I only do the center strip on a polished clasp as this gets the most wear and is just a scratch magnet.

People will PPF the entire front of their vehicle to protect their investment but for some reason balking at this.

Note: I only use film purchased from Standingo Ultimate Watch Protection on eBay. Simply the best. Can cut you anything you need. Never had any edges peel etc.
Old 11 August 2024, 12:13 AM   #14
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
I’m very tempted to on mine .. that’s where I’m noticing most of the scratches ..
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 12:16 AM   #15
johnsonsxusfrt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari-F430 View Post
I have never done this before, but I do have PPF on most of my cars and I know that protective film can be amazing as long as the quality is there.

I'm curious to hear what other watch owners who have done it or have thought about using protective film on the clasp to protect from scratches? Now I know that some have done the whole watch as I've seen them on Youtube, but that is definitely not for me.. just the clasp and preventing it from getting the normal scratches is what I am thinking of doing.

Any feedback would be great! This would be for a late model Submariner clasp FYI, if that matters.

Thanks!
I recommend it on any clasp that is polished. I've seen watches that are completely covered and they look dull, the shine is gone. But worth it for the polished clasps found on GMT and gold models. It's just one piece so not noticeable.
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 12:17 AM   #16
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Sure brings back memories of grandmas house
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 12:18 AM   #17
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

Think I'd just sell off my watches if scratches annoyed me.
....knowing they'll come back like new after a service is good enough for me......
Bozzie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 01:24 AM   #18
oysterfisher
"TRF" Member

Most of the protection cover producers dont even know the reference, where the protectors fit. A friend of mine used a "universal" Daytona kit from protectyourwatch on his PM Daytona and they were way too short.
The oyster bracelet center link protectors havent even been straight / symmetric. This kits mostly cost between 70 and 150 Dollars and suppose to be all from a alibaba factory just with different packagings, mostly you can see the same black plastic tweezers.

Better take care of your watch than wasting money and nerves with those shops and their products. Just my personal opinion.
oysterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 01:59 AM   #19
ajw45
"TRF" Member

This is nothing at all like ppf on a car which has soft paint exposed to the elements at high speeds. This is way more like your grandmas couch encased in plastic. Even if you just do the seat cushions that doesn't make it less lame.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 02:08 AM   #20
swiss_seth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
so dumb, yuck
Old 11 August 2024, 02:12 AM   #21
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It's your watch and you should do as you see fit. Personally, I hardly ever see the clasp and I don't think to check it for scratches. Damage to the lugs or bezel would bother me more but not to the point of wanting to address it, as my bashed up BLRO will attest.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 02:12 AM   #22
Hkspwrsche
"TRF" Member

I’m not opposed to it on a polished clasp and I would bet no one would ever be able to tell.

What I am annoyed with is how much they charge for it when you could cut up ppf or the old style phone screen film yourself for pennies on the dollar. Which several folks have done.
Old 11 August 2024, 03:01 AM   #23
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a Daytona
I've no experience with them, but I presume they'll certainly protect surfaces from at least swirls and minor scratches.

Do let us know after a few months if you're happy with them!
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 03:06 AM   #24
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
You should be fine without stickers on the brushed surface of the Sub's clasp. It does not show scratches as much.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 03:29 AM   #25
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterfisher View Post
Most of the protection cover producers dont even know the reference, where the protectors fit. A friend of mine used a "universal" Daytona kit from protectyourwatch on his PM Daytona and they were way too short.
The oyster bracelet center link protectors havent even been straight / symmetric. This kits mostly cost between 70 and 150 Dollars and suppose to be all from a alibaba factory just with different packagings, mostly you can see the same black plastic tweezers.

Better take care of your watch than wasting money and nerves with those shops and their products. Just my personal opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
This is nothing at all like ppf on a car which has soft paint exposed to the elements at high speeds. This is way more like your grandmas couch encased in plastic. Even if you just do the seat cushions that doesn't make it less lame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkspwrsche View Post
I’m not opposed to it on a polished clasp and I would bet no one would ever be able to tell.

What I am annoyed with is how much they charge for it when you could cut up ppf or the old style phone screen film yourself for pennies on the dollar. Which several folks have done.
Again, take a look at my post #9 above. That's what the center strip looks like after a year of wear. No scratches, no swirls, nothing (and as I stated above, I only do this for the center of polished clasps). From a foot away you can't even see it's there.

I get mine from Standingo Ultimate Watch Protection on eBay. He has templates for just about anything. I've ordered them for Datejust's, GMT's, Subs and Tudors. Always a perfect fit. And if he doesn't have a template for a watch you have, he will custom make it for you.

He uses military grade" Zagg® HD Clear Invisible Shield vinyl. And he's does this right here in the USA. I just ordered 4 center strips for my Tudor T-fit clasp (posished center) for only $30. Great guy, great to do business with.
Old 11 August 2024, 03:30 AM   #26
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
You should be fine without stickers on the brushed surface of the Sub's clasp. It does not show scratches as much.

Truth. I’ve worn my Submariner way more than my DJ41 and GMT BLNR. But the polished clasps on my DJ41 and GMT are much more scratched up. Or at least it appears that way.

Ironically, I feel like I baby my DJ41 than any watch I have, but the clasp on that is more beat up than the clasps on all my other watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 03:38 AM   #27
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Never have, never will.
A watch, regardless of cost, is meant to be worn and not the watch wear you.
Old 11 August 2024, 04:04 AM   #28
oysterfisher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Again, take a look at my post #9 above. That's what the center strip looks like after a year of wear. No scratches, no swirls, nothing (and as I stated above, I only do this for the center of polished clasps). From a foot away you can't even see it's there.

I get mine from Standingo Ultimate Watch Protection on eBay. He has templates for just about anything. I've ordered them for Datejust's, GMT's, Subs and Tudors. Always a perfect fit. And if he doesn't have a template for a watch you have, he will custom make it for you.

He uses military grade" Zagg® HD Clear Invisible Shield vinyl. And he's does this right here in the USA. I just ordered 4 center strips for my Tudor T-fit clasp (posished center) for only $30. Great guy, great to do business with.

I do think totally different. Here are images of such protection skins (after 3 weeks wear daily) on a 100k watch. Looks disgusting (just my humble opinion).
Old 11 August 2024, 04:43 AM   #29
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
I'd rather just be as careful as possible (no resting watch on hard surfaces), and accept if I do scratch / ding it, it can be fixed, e.g. fibreglass pen or welding.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 05:00 AM   #30
oysterfisher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Explorer View Post
I'd rather just be as careful as possible (no resting watch on hard surfaces), and accept if I do scratch / ding it, it can be fixed, e.g. fibreglass pen or welding.
Definitely.

And tbh, as a vintage lover I would rather have a scratched watch than glueing those rubish on my watches ... It starts to peel off at the surroundings and opens further and further.