The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 August 2024, 05:33 AM   #1
TheVision
"TRF" Member

Icon4 IWC Pilot watches? Overpriced flyier?

I've owned Breitling, Omega, Hamilton and Tag over the years but never paid attention to IWC till recently. My Rolex AD is now a IWC AD as well so I handled some new pieces in person and quite liked it. But what I couldnt fathom was the price tag (and my AD only offered 10% off being an existing customer..I got my sub here last year).

At $8K+, its same territory as Rolex datejust (and more expensive than Omega) but IWC doesnt have any anti-magnetic protection and in terms of movement, Omega walks all over them (metas, anti magnetic, etc). The IWC pilot watches also have painted dials (same as a $600 Hamilton Khaki) and while the open case is nice, it doesnt seem like the movement is anything extraordinary. Even Longines seem to offer more value for the buck.

Are people paying retail (or close to retail) for IWC? I may buy one from the pre owned market down the road but not sure what market is IWC expecting to pay full retail for cookie cutter flier watch? I mean at $8k, one can get the new white dial Omega speedy.

https://www.iwc.com/us/en/watches/pilot-watches
Old 12 August 2024, 05:42 AM   #2
TikTok
"TRF" Member

Bought 2 pilots (Spitfire) and an Aquatimer in the last couple of years and love them.
The pilots do have a soft iron core as protection against magnetism … to what spec, I don't know.
They dont spec accuracy but mine are good to a couple of secs a day.
Old 12 August 2024, 06:50 AM   #3
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

As with many brands, you’re paying for the marketing as much as anything else. Apart from a few, most use generic movements and build a watch around them. As my budgets have shrunk recently, I’ve taken more notice of previously ignored brands which seem to offer extraordinary value.
IWC make some lovely watches, but for a chrono, you won’t do much better than a Speedmaster, albeit the Pilot offers a more interesting looking watch.
Old 12 August 2024, 09:30 AM   #4
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Yeah, but you want one
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 09:42 AM   #5
daysky1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
I've owned Breitling, Omega, Hamilton and Tag over the years but never paid attention to IWC till recently. My Rolex AD is now a IWC AD as well so I handled some new pieces in person and quite liked it. But what I couldnt fathom was the price tag (and my AD only offered 10% off being an existing customer..I got my sub here last year).

At $8K+, its same territory as Rolex datejust (and more expensive than Omega) but IWC doesnt have any anti-magnetic protection and in terms of movement, Omega walks all over them (metas, anti magnetic, etc). The IWC pilot watches also have painted dials (same as a $600 Hamilton Khaki) and while the open case is nice, it doesnt seem like the movement is anything extraordinary. Even Longines seem to offer more value for the buck.

Are people paying retail (or close to retail) for IWC? I may buy one from the pre owned market down the road but not sure what market is IWC expecting to pay full retail for cookie cutter flier watch? I mean at $8k, one can get the new white dial Omega speedy.

I happen to notice IWC makes both the Portuguese and the Portugueser, being as that I am an old geezer I thought I would like to add the Portugueser some day
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 10:07 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
IWC makes great watches and they are an underappreciated brand in my opinion. They also think a lot of there watches as the prices are not reflective of what they are worth in the market. Do some research on the models you like and compare the prices of slightly pre-owned or NIB ones from our Trusted Sellers and save 30-50%. Your AD can do better and should or you should buy elsewhere. Also be aware that whatever you buy at, new or pre-owned, if you decide to sell or trade, you will lose 30-50% of what you paid, even buying pre-owned.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 11:06 PM   #7
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post

IWC might not be the brand for you. Any more 10% off is reasonable from an IWC AD. Resellers like prestigetime for example only offer 10% off and yiu might not get a warranty card. Through an AD you get 8 yrs warranty.

Many people put IWC ahead of Rolex. The bracelets are better. I see Rolexes all the time when I’m out. Daytonas, GMT’s, Subs. All of them. Even watching the Olympics on TV. I’ve only seen an IWC a few times.

My husband bought the 43 pilot chrono about a month ago. It’s so readable. In the last 9 days it’s only off by 1.5 seconds total. All of our Rolex’s are that a day.

IWC is a well respected brand. My AD says he sells 3 to 5 a week. Last time we were in a guy wearing the latest steel Daytona was purchasing an Aquatimer
Kinnakeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 02:23 AM   #8
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I own 2 IWC, both are pilots watches (a BP and a Spitfire chrono). I love these watches, and I've been a big IWC fan for awhile.

I do agree that the pricing at retail has gone out-of-whack recently. The Inge is the latest egregious pricing scheme they've come up with, but with all their special edition, F1 inspired designs being priced in the stratosphere, and their ceramic offerings astronomical in price, I just don't see how they've come up with their pricing.

BUT, the wonderful thing about IWC is that their secondary market prices tank, and fairly precipitously in a short period of time. So my rule has been to buy used/secondary. The prices there seem to reflect reality a bit more.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 02:49 AM   #9
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Yes the new Ing price surprised many. But it is a nice watch. It’s close looking to the GP Laureato and that costs even more. But I have handled both and both are nice. And something so different than the usual Rolex.

While of course Rolex holds the best value. But if you try to sell one now to a TS here you might be surprised by the offer. If they even want it.
Kinnakeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 03:18 AM   #10
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
Nice watches, buy preowned.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 03:28 AM   #11
dubins930

I’m not exactly sure why people compare prices to Rolex. Of course a datejust is a great watch, but they are 2 different categories. Having owned both the finishing and movement finishing are superior to Rolex from my experience. Timekeeping has been equal despite the lack of Cosc on IWC.
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote