The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 August 2024, 06:20 AM   #31
Apdl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN Finally!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Those are tool marks. Whoever adjusted the band effed it up, IMO.

Kat
Kat don't miss...
Apdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 06:27 AM   #32
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
To me those marks are from swapping out or removing and remounting the bracelet/strap over and over and over again over the months or year and whoever is doing the swapping has no idea what they are doing and do not use the proper tool. Those marks are from the spring bars busting out every time the bracelet is removed. Even with 904L this will happen which is soft as well but obviously not as soft as g.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 07:17 AM   #33
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

OF bracelet changes / adjustments are not trivial. I learned before my first (2019) Daytona 116519, which I had RSC Beverly Hills change out for me. Even before turning it over to them, I asked to speak to the watchmaker to insist that they take every precaution, including taping the lugs, correct tools, experienced watchmaker, etc. I also said I would be inspecting with a loupe when completed to make sure there was no damage. It came out great!

Fast forward to my 116518 Paul Newman, which the AD said they could change for me to get perfect fit. The AD director was doing it herself, and was experienced and used special gold (color, not material) Rolex tape, slow and careful. Same great result … flawless.

Based on my experience, if I were buying any 11651X, I would first look at the lugs, inside and out.

I think Rolex should have done two things from the start with OF bracelets:
1. Put full Glidelock clasps on all (not just 12 versions)
2. Make OF quick release so no tools are necessary.

Until they do those two things, OF will continue to be a problem for lugs.

As for what I would recommend for the OP, I would definitely take the watch back to the AD so they can see the damage … does two things - allows lessons to be learned and maybe gets you some form of resolution to your satisfaction. It is were me, I would ask them to fix as best they can … can’t see in detail how deep, etc. but I’d want it made right. You might also prove yourself reasonable to them so they might get you the “next” watch you desire faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 07:17 AM   #34
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
To me those marks are from swapping out or removing and remounting the bracelet/strap over and over and over again over the months or year and whoever is doing the swapping has no idea what they are doing and do not use the proper tool. Those marks are from the spring bars busting out every time the bracelet is removed. Even with 904L this will happen which is soft as well but obviously not as soft as g.

Sadly/Frustratingly, it has happened to many customers with only one strap change, when the AD resized the strap(s) that came from the factory.
Old 17 August 2024, 07:19 AM   #35
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

Oh yeah, forgot most important part. Next time take pics before and after any strap change or other service. Take a loupe with you and let them know you are expecting all care be taken as to not damage your watch because you have “heard horror stories” about this tricky procedure.

Old 17 August 2024, 07:28 AM   #36
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
^^^^Bingo^^^^
I would want a new case as this is NOT normal wear and tear and you would never see this in 30 years of ownership.
Remember … a new case will come with a new serial number. Not exactly making the OP whole as resale in the future certainly impacted negatively.

Old 17 August 2024, 08:41 AM   #37
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

I have a small mark on one of the lugs of my 126515 too, although replacement was done in RSC by an experienced watchmaker. But probably 10% of what you have here. Definitely poor job by your AD.

Sergio_UKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 08:46 AM   #38
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

Although under closer look it does look pretty bad :)
Comparing the left side (undamaged) and the right side difference is clear.

Old 18 August 2024, 06:37 PM   #39
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio_UKR View Post
I have a small mark on one of the lugs of my 126515 too, although replacement was done in RSC by an experienced watchmaker. But probably 10% of what you have here. Definitely poor job by your AD.

Interesting to hear even an RSC watchmaker is prone to such mistakes. What did the RSC do to remediate the issue for you?
Mr. Superlative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2024, 12:41 AM   #40
tsekh
"TRF" Member

Either tool marks or it was bumped into something with the OF strap taken off.

That's definitely not normal wear and tear, and you would have to try VERY hard to get spring bars to damage the lugs like that.
tsekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2024, 12:44 AM   #41
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Superlative View Post
Interesting to hear even an RSC watchmaker is prone to such mistakes. What did the RSC do to remediate the issue for you?

Nothing. I didn’t notice that damage. TBH it is rather difficult to notice when you wear the watch. Also on my other OF Daytona that was sized at the AD, damage was worse, but on a slightly different side of the lug. So that strap change is quite tough indeed.

Old 19 August 2024, 12:45 AM   #42
springer

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonsxusfrt View Post
that is tool damage from the spring bar being removed
Spring bar and spring bar tool damage indeed. Ouch!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2024, 01:57 AM   #43
EyeoftheTiger
"TRF" Member

Definitely damage from changing the strap, this happened to me , couldn’t live with it and even though I loved the watch I ended selling it
EyeoftheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 02:21 AM   #44
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeoftheTiger View Post
Definitely damage from changing the strap, this happened to me , couldn’t live with it and even though I loved the watch I ended selling it
Wow! That's quite extreme, but I respect your reasoning.
Old 20 August 2024, 02:24 AM   #45
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nothing. I didn’t notice that damage. TBH it is rather difficult to notice when you wear the watch. Also on my other OF Daytona that was sized at the AD, damage was worse, but on a slightly different side of the lug. So that strap change is quite tough indeed.

Yes, the damage is near enough impossible to notice, unless one looks closely at the areas affected; then it's highly visible.

Seems 99% these OF strap changes result in marks to the case; not good!!
I wonder how many damaged watches have gone unnoticed by their owners.
Old 20 August 2024, 02:25 AM   #46
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for sharing the pics. The damages are visibly clear when compared side by side.
Old 20 August 2024, 02:28 AM   #47
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
OF bracelet changes / adjustments are not trivial. I learned before my first (2019) Daytona 116519, which I had RSC Beverly Hills change out for me. Even before turning it over to them, I asked to speak to the watchmaker to insist that they take every precaution, including taping the lugs, correct tools, experienced watchmaker, etc. I also said I would be inspecting with a loupe when completed to make sure there was no damage. It came out great!

Fast forward to my 116518 Paul Newman, which the AD said they could change for me to get perfect fit. The AD director was doing it herself, and was experienced and used special gold (color, not material) Rolex tape, slow and careful. Same great result … flawless.

Based on my experience, if I were buying any 11651X, I would first look at the lugs, inside and out.

I think Rolex should have done two things from the start with OF bracelets:
1. Put full Glidelock clasps on all (not just 12 versions)
2. Make OF quick release so no tools are necessary.

Until they do those two things, OF will continue to be a problem for lugs.

As for what I would recommend for the OP, I would definitely take the watch back to the AD so they can see the damage … does two things - allows lessons to be learned and maybe gets you some form of resolution to your satisfaction. It is were me, I would ask them to fix as best they can … can’t see in detail how deep, etc. but I’d want it made right. You might also prove yourself reasonable to them so they might get you the “next” watch you desire faster.

Thanks. The AD assured me the watchmaker took every precaution and thus did NOT cause the damages. I beg to differ, based on my own experience and the evidence widely available from a quick Google search.

I wish I'd known how prone to marking the WG watches are, prior to OF strap adjustments.
Old 20 August 2024, 02:32 AM   #48
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Sadly I've owned a few OF watches and had these same marks on 2 of them. It’s DEF from them changing the strap, either the tool or having the spring bar pop out against the gold while removing.

based on my own experience multiple times from different ADs I think marks are almost expected at this point.

It gives a pit in my stomach. I’m so jealous of those of you whom the stock sizes fit your wrist so you don’t have to even face this issue.

Btw, my favorite AD does this with a razor blade and it works like a charm. His changes are always perfect and he’s the only one i trust at this point with OF. Like if I buy another one, I’ll ask for the extra strap and bring it to him only. Then I’ll ship them the original side back.

I’ll add it amazes me that at this price point, they hand it to a rookie to change these things out.
I echo your sentiment. I'm super annoyed and rather upset at this situation. Even with the Glidelock on the 12 series, I still had to change the OF straps on both the 12 and 6 sides, hence the multiple marks. Really wish I'd been aware of this, prior to adjustment.

I simply presumed a Rolex AD selling a $40,000 watch would be highly accurate and very skilled at adjusting such straps.

It's been a painful lesson thus far...
Old 20 August 2024, 04:00 AM   #49
Vipes
"TRF" Member

My first WG Daytona on OF had similar marks from strap change at the AD. My last two were done at different ADs but fortunately, no marks. These OF are so hard to change that one minor slip and damage occurs.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 04:56 AM   #50
HogwldFLTR

Watch: Too many to list!
Now I've got to go home and examine my SkyD with OF. They had to change size of the bracelet for my skinny wrist when I got it. I've never inspected the work that was done other than to wear the watch. I fully believe laser welding would take care of this issue.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 05:44 AM   #51
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Now I've got to go home and examine my SkyD with OF. They had to change size of the bracelet for my skinny wrist when I got it. I've never inspected the work that was done other than to wear the watch. I fully believe laser welding would take care of this issue.

Share your findings!

Old 20 August 2024, 12:12 PM   #52
reypad
"TRF" Member

I had the same issue with my new 126515 but not to your extent. My AD didn’t take any responsibility for the damage. I was fortunate that damage was closer to the inside of the lug. AD did a very light polish and it was gone. Hope things work out for you.
reypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 03:10 PM   #53
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Sadly I've owned a few OF watches and had these same marks on 2 of them. It’s DEF from them changing the strap, either the tool or having the spring bar pop out against the gold while removing.

based on my own experience multiple times from different ADs I think marks are almost expected at this point.

It gives a pit in my stomach. I’m so jealous of those of you whom the stock sizes fit your wrist so you don’t have to even face this issue.

Btw, my favorite AD does this with a razor blade and it works like a charm. His changes are always perfect and he’s the only one i trust at this point with OF. Like if I buy another one, I’ll ask for the extra strap and bring it to him only. Then I’ll ship them the original side back.

I’ll add it amazes me that at this price point, they hand it to a rookie to change these things out.
How does he use the razor blade?
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 10:39 PM   #54
ap1

Damage from OF adjustment, or wear & tear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
How does he use the razor blade?

While holding vertical he gets out the spring bar . As I think about it it probably blocks the Spring bar from touching the gold on its way out. He did this while holding a conversation with me and standing. It was amazing. Took 2 seconds

ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2024, 01:03 AM   #55
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Quick update: Dealer has not admitted liability, however, has offered to rectify damages via a polish. An agreement is made for the case to be replaced, should the repair not be to expected standards.

Watch this space (no pun intended).
Old 25 August 2024, 01:37 AM   #56
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Quick update: Dealer has not admitted liability, however, has offered to rectify damages via a polish. An agreement is made for the case to be replaced, should the repair not be to expected standards.

Is this damage visible during normal daily wear? I can’t really see mine.
Not sure if I would want a case replacement or polish if damage is not visible outside of macro photos.

Old 25 August 2024, 02:46 AM   #57
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is this damage visible during normal daily wear? I can’t really see mine.
Not sure if I would want a case replacement or polish if damage is not visible outside of macro photos.

It’s not, no. I considered letting it go, however, the damage is quite extensive and not caused by me. Given the price of the piece and its young age, I want it rectified. I’m not keen on the case replacement for obvious reasons, too. However, it’s all pending the outcome of the polish.
Old 25 August 2024, 09:48 PM   #58
tutu2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I’m just catching up after your post on my thread. I’m hoping a polish will be all that it needs!
We’ll be going in, likely next week, for the adjustment on my husband’s same watch. I will make a note to self to take before photos, and pray for the best.
tutu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2024, 09:53 PM   #59
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Thanks for the update
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2024, 04:29 AM   #60
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutu2008 View Post
I’m just catching up after your post on my thread. I’m hoping a polish will be all that it needs!
We’ll be going in, likely next week, for the adjustment on my husband’s same watch. I will make a note to self to take before photos, and pray for the best.
Yes - be sure to take very clear, close-up photos of each lug on each inside corner. Use a loupe to perform the close up inspection post OF adjustment. Good luck, hopefully you'll get an experience watch maker.