The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 August 2024, 01:50 PM   #1
vin24
"TRF" Member

Any Los Angeles local have strong opinions on a dealer?

Hi! I'm looking to express interest in some watches at some point, and have no existing relationships/Rolex history. I know I could go put my name down on lists at multiple dealers, but was wondering if anyone had opinions on specific ones (positive or negative). The ones I know about are Santa Monica, Century City, Rodeo Drive, and Bhindi's in Glendale. Any one of them, or any others, more likely to actually end up allocating watches I want (like Sub, GMT)
vin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2024, 10:09 PM   #2
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2-Line Sub & DJ41
While some might find it odd, I am neither local nor in LA. However, I travel often to Orange County, mostly Newport Beach, and the South Coast Plaza Rolex AD is my storefront of choice. While I am no celebrity or of any particular importance I have been able to build a relationship with them, including a long term SA at that location. Just earlier this summer I was offered, and acquired, my next wanted Rolex. Although this was a straightforward WG DJ 41 blue stick dial, I'm now going to start developing my next wanted Rolex selection. Be patient, friendly, and professional, and be the kind of guy or gal you'd want to have come back if you were the AD/SA.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2024, 11:37 PM   #3
johnsonsxusfrt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin24 View Post
Hi! I'm looking to express interest in some watches at some point, and have no existing relationships/Rolex history. I know I could go put my name down on lists at multiple dealers, but was wondering if anyone had opinions on specific ones (positive or negative). The ones I know about are Santa Monica, Century City, Rodeo Drive, and Bhindi's in Glendale. Any one of them, or any others, more likely to actually end up allocating watches I want (like Sub, GMT)
Stay away from Bhindi, the owner Ron is not to be trusted. During covid, Instead of delivering pieces to customers, they were selling (and still are) the desirable pieces through their cousin on the grey market for massive premiums. Go to polachecks in calabasas
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 12:05 AM   #4
JenaG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonsxusfrt View Post
Stay away from Bhindi, the owner Ron is not to be trusted. During covid, Instead of delivering pieces to customers, they were selling (and still are) the desirable pieces through their cousin on the grey market for massive premiums. Go to polachecks in calabasas
Under what name do they sell through the gray market Cousin? Years ago, Bhindi was actually a pretty reputable dealer, picked up a few Rolex from them back around 2008.
JenaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 12:20 AM   #5
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
For awhile their nicknames on the grey market was Backdoor Bhindi. Bundling was going on at this dealer for awhile now, even before Covid. But at least in 2018 and before they gave discount on two tone and gold pieces to bundle. I think things got a little better after they started hiring outside managers for Rolex. But not sure. It’s very practical here, just buy a few peripheral brands.

Honestly I don’t blame them. Maximizing profits is their job.

Even worse and more obvious in SoCal are Swiss Luxury in Brea and Morgan’s they will literally tell you to buy a tennis bracelet, fat earrings for your wife to sniff a submariner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaG View Post
Under what name do they sell through the gray market Cousin? Years ago, Bhindi was actually a pretty reputable dealer, picked up a few Rolex from them back around 2008.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 12:25 AM   #6
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Full gold submariner, two tone submariner - can go to any one of them.

Full gold GMT, can go to any of them.

Everything else, buy the full gold ones first. Repeat every 3-6 months and you will get yourself on the real list for the less expensive stainless versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin24 View Post
Old 20 August 2024, 01:51 AM   #7
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Admittedly, it’s been since early 2020 (right before Covid) since I’ve browsed the LA dealers but my best experiences in general were at the Geary’s Santa Monica Boutique and their combo Rolex/jewelry store in Beverly Hills. Both had some stuff for immediate sale back then and both expressed a desire to establish new customers. Bhindi’s Glendale and Tourneau South Coast were both polite but already had nothing for sale.
Westtime in Beverly Hills is a great store to explore for many brands other than Rolex.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 01:56 AM   #8
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

Believe it or not, Geary’s Rodeo Drive Boutique is pretty great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 01:58 AM   #9
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWoodster View Post
For awhile their nicknames on the grey market was Backdoor Bhindi. Bundling was going on at this dealer for awhile now, even before Covid.

Honestly I don’t blame them. Maximizing profits is their job.
You don’t blame them, but this is what happens to “war profiteers”. Their reputation catches up with them, even more so in this century with the social media leverage the consumer now enjoys.

I won’t go to them. I’ll remember their name forever and I’ll tell everybody else to avoid it because I trust people on this forum.
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 02:54 AM   #10
johnsonsxusfrt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaG View Post
Myself and 2 friends have been customers of Bhindi Glendale since 2014-2015, and they were decent until covid hit, which was around the time when Ron started running operations at the Glendale store (his father and uncle own the business and Ron & Ashwin manage the Glendale store).

One friend has a $120K spend history with them and has been promised a steel Daytona for 10 years with no delivery. The 3 of us have a broad network of grey dealers we have been buying from for 15-20 years, I'm not going to out them here because I value the relationship, but one has bought directly from Ron's cousin; Bhindi bundles 10-20 rolex's at a time to them, including ladies pieces no one wants along with Daytonas, GMTs (Pepsi, Batman), meteor dials (all at a premium)
Old 20 August 2024, 02:58 AM   #11
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Take a ride to NorCal and visit Devons in Roseville, or Stockton. I’m about to acquire my third watch from them. No bundling or spending games. Just an honest AD, who will help you out, if you are a regular nice friendly person. It’s a great feeling knowing they want to take care of me.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 07:54 AM   #12
Socal Runner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Day-Date
I would try the new larchmont AD that there was just a thread about. I would think that you stand the best chance at a newer store with not a huge already existing customer base. That being said do whatever AD is closest to you. In my experience stores want to take care of locals however they can.

And if you go in only asking for steel subs / GMT's / etc it's just a red flag to them and you likely won't get anything. Try to connect with a sales associate, get to know them, be patient and open to maybe some two tones, gold pieces as well as your steel favorites. Unfortunately you need to play the game, unless you want to go grey. I hope it works out for you.
Socal Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 08:49 AM   #13
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Timepiece Gentleman

Just kiddin
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 09:43 AM   #14
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Too funny
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 09:48 AM   #15
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

I think the great thing with Rolex is that it isn't rare and there are over 1500 locations worldwide. So you have a shot. So def go try.

Larchmont AD is owned by Hing Wa Lee.

They are very practical there at HWL. Buy a Ulysses Nardin, Girard Perregaux, and Hublot, then they could very well have a Pepsi in the back for you. It's better you first buy something, then ask for them to bring the model you want out.

Not sure about how this particular branch will be run, they are even rebranding it. Because the management and staff might even be different than the usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Runner View Post
I would try the new larchmont AD that there was just a thread about. I would think that you stand the best chance at a newer store with not a huge already existing customer base. That being said do whatever AD is closest to you. In my experience stores want to take care of locals however they can.

And if you go in only asking for steel subs / GMT's / etc it's just a red flag to them and you likely won't get anything. Try to connect with a sales associate, get to know them, be patient and open to maybe some two tones, gold pieces as well as your steel favorites. Unfortunately you need to play the game, unless you want to go grey. I hope it works out for you.
Old 20 August 2024, 10:21 AM   #16
NAUI1982
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Take a ride to NorCal and visit Devons in Roseville, or Stockton. I’m about to acquire my third watch from them. No bundling or spending games. Just an honest AD, who will help you out, if you are a regular nice friendly person. It’s a great feeling knowing they want to take care of me.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is so hard to find! Glad you’re able to experience it like it’s meant to be.
NAUI1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 10:51 AM   #17
Crazygordon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Believe it or not, Geary’s Rodeo Drive Boutique is pretty great!

I was there over the weekend and they were very professional.
Crazygordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 12:57 PM   #18
johnsonsxusfrt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygordon View Post
I was there over the weekend and they were very professional.
yeah but has anyone here received a Pepsi or steel Daytona from Geary's on Rodeo? They probably have a customer list longer than 90% of rolex ADs.
Old 20 August 2024, 04:34 PM   #19
gabbs1123
"TRF" Member

I live in LA and was on the hunt for a Datejust. I know, I know it’s much easier to acquire than a sub or GMT. I went to almost every AD from Thousand Oaks to San Diego and checked numerous times at Polacheks because they are the closest to me.I didn’t go to Santa Monica or Beverly Hills admittedly. I didn’t expect them to deliver but Hyde Park at Fashion Island delivered in just over one month whereas I have yet to hear from the other ADs. If you’re ever in the area, I’d check them out.
gabbs1123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 12:28 AM   #20
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbs1123 View Post
I live in LA and was on the hunt for a Datejust. I know, I know it’s much easier to acquire than a sub or GMT. I went to almost every AD from Thousand Oaks to San Diego and checked numerous times at Polacheks because they are the closest to me.I didn’t go to Santa Monica or Beverly Hills admittedly. I didn’t expect them to deliver but Hyde Park at Fashion Island delivered in just over one month whereas I have yet to hear from the other ADs. If you’re ever in the area, I’d check them out.
From what I understand Hyde Oark / 1916 Co. will be opening a location in Manhattan/Redondo Beach. Maybe to fill the gap of Morgan Co losing Rolex?
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 01:42 AM   #21
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

The Morgan’s that lost a Rolex location was in Palos Vedes. It is a sister store of the one down the street, which still has the license. Is the Torrance one also losing it?

Russell of Morgan’s Torrance will actively ask you to buy a women’s bracelet or necklace to let you “go home with a submariner.” Can get DJ41 blue jubilee fluted bezel with no issue though. I met a customer here in store a couple years ago that said he spent more than $8k on his wife to get a submariner. He was picking up a submariner.

In 2024, Russell said he’d send me home with a sub if I picked up something for the wife. told him I had lived here in the area and been a customer of his for awhile now. He didn’t care. I then raised my hand and said I wear Daytonas now. “What do I need to buy for a Daytona?” He walked off. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reRlxGuy View Post
From what I understand Hyde Oark / 1916 Co. will be opening a location in Manhattan/Redondo Beach. Maybe to fill the gap of Morgan Co losing Rolex?
Old 21 August 2024, 02:08 AM   #22
Basic_Satisfaction
"TRF" Member

I’d only recommend Geary’s in century city. No shady business there and everyone is great to work with. Recently picked up a steel Daytona from them. Every other local AD I tried to build a relationship with a few years ago basically ignored me, including Polachecks and Bhindis. However I’ve heard others have had much better experiences with Polachecks than I’ve had.
Basic_Satisfaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 03:39 AM   #23
gabbs1123
"TRF" Member

Glad you had a good experience with them. The salesperson asked me if they had the watch ready “would I be ready for it” insinuating I couldn’t afford it.
gabbs1123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 06:05 AM   #24
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbs1123 View Post
Glad you had a good experience with them. The salesperson asked me if they had the watch ready “would I be ready for it” insinuating I couldn’t afford it.
Not really. The salesperson was probably checking your genuine interest or trying to gauge your commitment to buying the watch. It’s a standard question to see if a customer is ready to make a purchase if the product is available, not necessarily about your ability to afford it.
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 07:29 AM   #25
IFlyPlanes
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonsxusfrt View Post

Polachecks is great but you’re competing with a lot of big money there so tough to get rarer pieces.

I’ve had luck there, Rodeo and Southcoast. I almost got too many calls this year between the 3.
IFlyPlanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 10:03 AM   #26
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
They are very practical there at HWL. Buy a Ulysses Nardin, Girard Perregaux, and Hublot, then they could very well have a Pepsi in the back for you.
Wait, I gotta buy all 3?

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 10:11 AM   #27
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

With no history... yeah, you'll have to buy at least 3.

With history, you'll be asked to buy one. Then they'll look at you like they did you a favor with the Pepsi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Wait, I gotta buy all 3?

Old 21 August 2024, 10:32 AM   #28
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
With no history... yeah, you'll have to buy at least 3.

With history, you'll be asked to buy one. Then they'll look at you like they did you a favor with the Pepsi.

Understood.

I’ll have to research those brands to see which model I won’t take a complete bath on once I grow tired of the watch. Not buying a HUBLOT though!

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote