The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Closed Thread

Old 29 July 2010, 09:10 AM   #31
ydna808
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
love the watches and dont care about resale values.
Ditto
Old 29 July 2010, 08:27 PM   #32
amazed

Watch: Rolex Sub 2010
I have found that the only way to evaluate a watch is to buy it and wear it. Not exactly cheap as I have lost around 60 % on every watch I sold within a month or a couple of years of purchase. I have enjoyed every one to an extent but in the end they just did not jell for me.
On two occasions, back in my poor days I sold from necessity after a few years and managed to get about 70% of my purchase price back., 1 Rolex sub and 1 Omega. the Omega bought in 1975 for 220 pounds, a solid 9ct gold Deville, which I sold for 150 pounds in 78, but I needed the money more than I needed the watch. anyway after years of IWCs, Omegas, Tissots, Ulysse Nardin, I have returned to my true love, I have a New Rolex Sub with ceramic bezel and I cannot see me ever selling it. The same is true of my UN although I rarely wear it these days. Living in the tropics I find that a leather or rubber band causes sweat rashes on my wrist, but metal conducts the heat away and I get no problem. All in all, sometimes I find that the cost of getting rid of these watches amounts to more than the cost of acquisition.
Can anyone think of anything else in life that might apply to?
Old 29 July 2010, 08:59 PM   #33
pradeep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day Dates
haha.. Hmmm.. let me see.. getting a wife? ;)
Old 30 July 2010, 12:40 PM   #34
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
I agree with Jib. When I put one of my Rolex's on, it's a mood changer. Or at least it helps to make me feel better. I like it everytiime I put one on, and everytime I check the time.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 31 July 2010, 09:20 AM   #35
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahligah View Post
A nice watch is an investment in you're own happiness......
x2
Old 2 August 2010, 05:43 PM   #36
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeep View Post
Hey Guys!

I can imagine this is something that would have baffled a few others so I thought I'll put this question out in the open to see what your opinions are!

Some people buy Rolexs as an investment! They think the watch will hold its value. How about a reality check? What have we paid then and how do they value now? Was it really worth the money spent, purely from an investment point of view?

Let me make it more clear, what was the true value of a dollar then to the value of it now? Can we use the dollar index to work out some examples of the cost of president, daytona, submariner etc 30 years ago to the market prices now?

I apologize if this is something that has been extensively discussed, I have not come across such a thread yet!

cheers!

Pradeep
I bought a Pepsi GMT II 3 years ago used for $3200.00, and I am seeing them sell for $5,500.00 now, mine just got the FULL Rolex service and polish, including a new bezel insert (part of the service, even though the old one was perfect) so it looks brand new. I also have all the paperwork, box, and hang tags, and after the service it comes with a one year warranty.

2009 Sub Date, since the economy was in the dump at this time, i got it new from my AD for $4500.00 instead of the $6000.00 MSRP, and I believe it's worth north of $5000.00 now, so both have gone up in value.

I have NEVER lost money buying and selling a Rolex, but I always stay away from any model with gold, or Exp. II's.

David
Old 6 August 2010, 12:38 AM   #37
JEC

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
I'd say that out of all companies in this price bracket, Rolex is the most sound investment of all. Values hold steady, appreciation often occurs on popular models, and they have a proven track record of being good long-term investments (all of this applies to stainless steel sport models and the odd SS dress model. It does not apply to TT or gold, those are money pits). Values across the world are very comparable as well. If you look at any other brand in this price bracket (or higher) you'll find that depreciation is much worse and collectible/vintage pieces don't command nearly as high prices.
Closed Thread