The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 August 2024, 10:50 AM   #1
Jewel Runner
"TRF" Member

Icon12 2024 Rolex with 3230 movement questions

Hi everyone, I'm new to Rolex watches but not watches in general. I recently got a beautiful 2024 Rolex with a 3230 movement. After reading the thread explaining the problems with this movement I got a bit paranoid and kept an eye on the timekeeping. I have had it on for around 2 weeks. It's currently running minus 2.5 or 3 spd so slightly out of spec. It is consistent and keeps +1spd left dial up even after around 40 hours. I have the app Watch Accuracy Meter. I left it dial up around 40 hours then checked some other positions. Crown up and crown down the beat error shoots up to 3.0 for a while then back down. Also the accuracy will go up and down. I have no way of checking the amplitude as I don't have a timegrapher. I'm thinking about taking it to ab AD to be at least regulated.

My main questions are do you think it will settle in and speed up a bit to be in spec? I've had several other watches change for better or worse. Ranging from Seikos to ETA.

And is the high beat error at low PR something to be concerned about? I'm thinking maybe not as it's running on 30h PR or less at that point which isn't a normal state.

Here are some screenshots from the app I used. I know some people think these apps aren't very accurate but I've found them to nearly bang on when it comes to comparing what I find when wearing the watch at least.

The "Low PR" results are after leaving dial up for 25ish hours.
Jewel Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 07:41 AM   #2
Jewel Runner
"TRF" Member

Last edited by Jewel Runner; 20 August 2024 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: Adding links
Old 20 August 2024, 09:00 AM   #3
Easy E
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

The BE on your app isn’t worth much, no offense. I would worry about that. What is the actual PR? Have you wound it up and just let it run completely dry, check the actual duration? Your watch will “settle” but I wouldn’t expect that to change more than about 1/2 sec either way. The best way to know is take it to the AD and let them put it on a real meter. Good luck.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 09:10 AM   #4
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

It's silly to give a 2 week old watch to an AD or any watchmaker to regulate the movement, especially one that is losing only 2-3 seconds a day.

I wouldn't trust an AD or their watchmaker to size a bracelet, let alone regulate a watch.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 09:45 AM   #5
Jewel Runner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
The BE on your app isn’t worth much, no offense. I would worry about that. What is the actual PR? Have you wound it up and just let it run completely dry, check the actual duration? Your watch will “settle” but I wouldn’t expect that to change more than about 1/2 sec either way. The best way to know is take it to the AD and let them put it on a real meter. Good luck.

Would or wouldn't worry about that? Yes I've read these apps aren't much good. If it speeds up by half a second I'll be happy as it will be closer to in spec. I'll check the full power reserve soon then.
Old 20 August 2024, 09:48 AM   #6
Jewel Runner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
It's silly to give a 2 week old watch to an AD or any watchmaker to regulate the movement, especially one that is losing only 2-3 seconds a day.

I wouldn't trust an AD or their watchmaker to size a bracelet, let alone regulate a watch.

Yes I was probably too quick to judge it. I should leave it for qt least another month or more to see if it speeds up a bit. I would rather it was on the plus side so thought a little regulation wouldn't do any harm, but again yes too quick.
Old 20 August 2024, 09:51 AM   #7
Jewel Runner
"TRF" Member

Here are screenshots. Wasn't allowed to upload until I had 10 posts I think.

https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEVDJ4O

https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEVDJ4P
Old 20 August 2024, 10:04 AM   #8
Bald Angus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, 126334-0017
From what I remember reading, the issue of the 32XX movements occurred after a couple or few years of use. They rapidly dropped to -20 or more seconds a day. You are currently not having this problem.

I think these occurrences happened with the early years of the new movement. I would think Rolex has quietly fixed the issue in 2024.
Bald Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 10:12 AM   #9
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
You’ll get varying opinions on this.

Personally, I’d leave it be. Consistency is more important than being within +2-2 seconds (to me)
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 10:22 AM   #10
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel Runner View Post
Would or wouldn't worry about that? Yes I've read these apps aren't much good. If it speeds up by half a second I'll be happy as it will be closer to in spec. I'll check the full power reserve soon then.
Sorry, wouldn’t
Old 20 August 2024, 12:29 PM   #11
Robison347
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue dial sub
The only real test is to set the watch to an accurate standard, wear it a week or two, and check against the standard.

All my current Rolex watches will run within 5 seconds, typically on the fast side, not slow

Use it the way you would naturally. Don’t mess with face up or down, just put the thing down as you would naturally and look for the result from real world use.
Robison347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 01:06 PM   #12
Jewel Runner
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input everyone. Yes @Robinson347 I've been wearing it as normal most of the time and taking measurements each day and it's running -2.5 to -3spd. I set it to the atomic clock when I got it and have kept in mind what it has lost and gained. It's a bit of an OCD habbit I have to check how much my watches have deviated from the atomic time. At some point I hope to be at the stage of not checking for a week or 2! I have way too much time on my hands. No pun intended.
Old 20 August 2024, 03:11 PM   #13
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
real meter = timegrapher?
@OP, buy one, forget the app! You are welcome here.
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 03:29 PM   #14
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Angus View Post
From what I remember reading, the issue of the 32XX movements occurred after a couple or few years of use.
No, even new 2024 watches out of the box.
Quote:
They rapidly dropped to -20 or more seconds a day.
No.
Quote:
You are currently not having this problem.
No, the OP has not measured 3230 amplitudes.
Quote:
I think these occurrences happened with the early years of the new movement. I would think Rolex has quietly fixed the issue in 2024.
2017-2024 watches were reported (with data!) having the well documented too low amplitude issue.

Carry on
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 04:01 PM   #15
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
OP, don’t get all crazy about half second more or less.
Everything seems to be fine so stop worrying and enjoy it
Old 20 August 2024, 06:05 PM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

Personally, I’d leave it be. Consistency is more important than being within +2-2 seconds (to me)
Have to agree Brian especially to the original poster hoping his watch would gain half a second to be in so called spec out of 86400 seconds in a day. Some should remember this gravity affects mechanical watches the most that's why they are still tested in 5 different positions at the Swiss COSC to a Average -4+ 6 seconds a day. And in those different positions there will be very slight deviations in the timekeeping. Remember this the escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 times. And on the wrist given the simple fact that the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, different temperature variations,mainspring power reserve, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on.The fact is that no mechanical watch made will keep 100% perfect time, very close yes but perfect no.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 08:50 PM   #17
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
That's a non-issue in my opinion. I wouldn't think twice about it.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 09:45 PM   #18
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Crazy world we live in. If the watch stops, that’s a problem…..
Old 20 August 2024, 10:37 PM   #19
Jewel Runner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
real meter = timegrapher?
@OP, buy one, forget the app! You are welcome here.
Sorry but your poll thread is nonsense. I read most of it. The actual poll is nonsense too. I respect the effort you put in though.
Old 20 August 2024, 10:54 PM   #20
77T

2024 Rolex with 3230 movement questions

Quote:
Sorry but your poll thread is nonsense. I read most of it. The actual poll is nonsense too. I respect the effort you put in though.

Careful grasshopper...poking a hornet's are you?

So to your original question - IMHO, we live in real life with a watch rather than timegrapher data life.

I do not believe the symptoms you've mentioned are actually related to a particular movement problem. So I'd rest easy on that point.

I would encourage you to try something to separate the symptoms. This is meant to separate personal behavior from movement behavior.

It's close to what PADI (Peter) suggests.

Despite the excellent auto-wind module, our daily routines may contribute to timekeeping anomalies. So, for a week or so, set the watch on a Monday to time.is internet reference clock. Then wind the watch fully each morning. Go about your business. Do not double check accuracy - don't look. When a week has elapsed, check the variance using time.is - then divide the seconds of variance by # of days to get an average.

If it is way out of spec it is worth monitoring. If it's within spec, wear and enjoy and think no more about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 11:05 PM   #21
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Quote:
Everybody, You must realise that the wise words written above are from someone who is very experienced and has spent a lot of time and trouble measuring his watch on possibly the most useless method of all.

Note …… my comment above is obviously said tongue in cheek !

There is nothing like measuring the amplitude, which tells us a lot, possibly the rate in the 5 positions but these can only be realistically done with the proper equipment. A Timegrapher !

The only time my smart phone comes into use is for me to make notes or to take a photo of the results for posterity.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 11:32 PM   #22
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

I agree. As long as it is in standard deviation and consistent, relax and enjoy your watch.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 12:50 AM   #23
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah. You’re right. All that data is pure nonsense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6898.jpeg (45.6 KB, 223 views)
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 02:43 AM   #24
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
If my brand new Rolex, (and I do have 2 almost new ones) was .5 seconds out of spec, I’d leave it alone. I might think about sending it to RSC right before the warranty expires, if it gets more out of spec. In other words, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” Also, buy a Timegrapher. You are the kind of collector who needs one. BTW, I have one, too.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 04:28 AM   #25
Easy E

Quote:
The poll itself may not hold up to scrutiny, but the data pretty much speaks for itself.

This topic has a tendency for the swords to come out and I'm not trying to get this thread to that point, but you are asking about how a watch is running. That really can't be ascertained without some real data. What you have presented is anecdotal at best. The choices are real simply 1. Don't worry about it, 2. Get some real data - either from an AD or get your own timegrapher.
Old 21 August 2024, 04:30 AM   #26
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post
Yeah. You’re right. All that data is pure nonsense.
My sarcastometer is usually pretty well dialed, but I can't tell on this.
Old 21 August 2024, 07:06 AM   #27
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My sarcastometer is usually pretty well dialed, but I can't tell on this.
Based on your #25 post, you’re tracking correctly.
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 07:10 AM   #28
Easy E

Quote:
Copy that.
Old 21 August 2024, 09:52 AM   #29
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Agreed
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 09:58 AM   #30
Andad

Watch: A few.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote