The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 August 2024, 10:57 PM   #1
metzgergt1
"TRF" Member

Daytona Question (Old Ref vs New Ref) 116XXX vs 126XXX

I think I'm finally going to bite the bullet and go grey for a YG or RG OF Daytona, but I am torn between the older ref vs. the newer ref. Currently it's about a $5-6K difference to get the newer reference.

I've seen and read tons of videos/article comparing the two but I haven't had an opportunity to see/try either.

For me the four biggest considerations are:
  • Hold of value: Do you believe there will continue to be a ~$5K difference for a 126 vs a 116 reference? Watches aren't investments, but I do like knowing that value is held/maintained as I like to up-trade every few years for a new experience.
  • Case Size/Shape: Is there a preference? Is one more comfortable? Is one better looking?
  • Clasp: I really like the idea of the 126 having GlideLock vs the 116 having EasyLink. In reality, is this a practical pro or more neutral between the two?
  • Color: Some videos/articles cite that shade of YG or RG on a 126 may be slightly muted from that on a 116. Those who have seen both in person, is this true? How noticable? Which was better in your opinion?
metzgergt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 12:35 AM   #2
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I’m no expert here, having only owned an 116500, however from your considerations mentioned I only really see the glide lock clasp versus the flip lock as being genuine differences/concerns.

The above said, in my personal experience I’ve always managed to comfortably fit Rolex watches fitted with flip lock extensions, such that even this difference would be negligible to me. Do you know if your wrist swells up/changes size easily/frequently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ikincooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 12:39 AM   #3
joli160
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
- Yes
- Same
- Clasp is bigger on the new one which looks ugly imho. For me not a plus.
- Same

All in all the new one looks better because of the ring around the insert and its more refined dial. Would be my choice
Old 22 August 2024, 01:15 AM   #4
metzgergt1
"TRF" Member

Thank you both, appreciate the input!
metzgergt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 01:23 AM   #5
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
1. If bought from AD then of course will hold value and appreciate, that being said 116 will need to be grey so what I see they sit around 22k gbp for half decent white, so all you will do is get your money back I’d say. I believe 126 will drop and be almost the same as 116 writhing 2 years.
2.id say 126 is better looking.
3.Glidelock is so much better.
4. 116 white, 126 black.
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 01:24 AM   #6
Redsub71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metzgergt1 View Post
I think I'm finally going to bite the bullet and go grey for a YG or RG OF Daytona, but I am torn between the older ref vs. the newer ref. Currently it's about a $5-6K difference to get the newer reference.

I've seen and read tons of videos/article comparing the two but I haven't had an opportunity to see/try either.

• Hold of value: Do you believe there will continue to be a ~$5K difference for a 126 vs a 116 reference? Watches aren't investments, but I do like knowing that value is held/maintained as I like to up-trade every few years for a new experience.
  • Case Size/Shape: Is there a preference? Is one more comfortable? Is one better looking?
  • Clasp: I really like the idea of the 126 having GlideLock vs the 116 having EasyLink. In reality, is this a practical pro or more neutral between the two?
  • Color: Some videos/articles cite that shade of YG or RG on a 126 may be slightly muted from that on a 116. Those who have seen both in person, is this true? How noticable? Which was better in your opinion?
A discontinued 11 unworn 2023 costs much more than the new model 12. 5/6 k less cost Used discontinued from 2016/17 etc etc old two-tone cards
Redsub71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 01:27 AM   #7
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

I like 126 proportions over 116. Way more elegant and just works with the smaller case size of Daytona better (it is 38.5mm after all, not 40 mm)
Sergio_UKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 01:32 AM   #8
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
OP, please be mindful that a number of replies that you’re seeing are speaking of the differences between 11 and 12 series SS Daytona’s and not the PM versions you are considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ikincooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 01:33 AM   #9
928ktgold

Watch: what’s next.
Guys he’s taking about OF models not steel
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 01:39 AM   #10
omar10213245

Watch: 126515LN (sundust)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metzgergt1 View Post

I gotta say, having the glidelock on the oysterflex clasp is a gamechanger. that alone had me wanting the new reference vs going grey for the previous reference.
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 02:07 AM   #11
D3R3K
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO-0001
I think it also comes down to the preference of dials. All of the new 126 references are slightly different compared to the previous 116 references. I'm hoping to acquire a yellow gold OF Daytona. I prefer the newer reference for all of the dials except for the black dial.

I've tried on both versions and don't think there is a big difference in how the case shape feels on the wrist.

As far as the bezel differences go, I believe the durability of an all-ceramic bezel is a plus. The aesthetics are debatable as the precious metal bezel ring has a certain appeal.

The larger glidelock clasp of the 126 series has its pros and cons. It is bigger, so it will be more noticeable on the wrist, but you are getting more precious metal, and that adds some value. The infinite adjustability is the biggest pro in my opinion.
D3R3K is offline   Reply With Quote