The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 October 2021, 02:59 AM   #1
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
A case for 37

Rarely is the 37mm option for the YM discussed here on these forums. If you do a search, you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone with a lot of insightful information.

I can certainly understand that. The style for decades has been large. But I gotta say, I see a lot of people wearing watches that are just way to big for their wrist. In fact, sometimes I wonder if someone’s people like their watches because they look good or because they’re hyped everywhere you look. Also, for every 10 “is this too big?” thread I see, I see maybe two “is this too small?”. So I can’t be alone in my thinking that a lot of these watches look overpowering on the wrist. Having owned a BLNR, 11 LV sub, YM 40 and SD4K, I can tell you that they never quite ever sat right on my wrist. So much so they were always no-gos after a few weeks of wearing. No amount of adjusting of the clasps and bracelet links helped. I just didn’t like the unbalanced look on my 6.5 inch wrist. Especially with the glidelock clasps being almost as thick and wider than the watch itself.

I tried to research the 37mm YMs as the logical downsized choice but limited information is available for them outside of a few Watchbox videos. There’s not much information at all on here about them and their fit and wear.

So recently I purchased a YM 37 268655 and have been wearing it for several days now. I thought I would share some thoughts and insights for posterity if anyone is looking for information in the future on making a decision.

The word I’ll use is “balanced”. The watch wears very balanced on my 6.5 inch wrist. It sits directly centered, I see the same amount of bracelet on both sides of the watch (12/6) and the watch never seems to creep toward the 12 side. The clasp sits on the underside of the wrist comfortably and centered. Modern Rolex clasps we all know are superior to the old ones but they’re also thick, the slightly thinner tapered 18mm bracelet size on the 37mm case is just that much smaller you notice the difference.

At first glance / view / holding the YM37 in your hand - yes, without a doubt your first impression is “tiny” - let’s not mince words and skirt around that fact. Especially if you’re used to wearing 40mm 5 digit and 6 digit references. But this is quite deceiving because of 1 single design feature - the dial.

The dial size is small visually at first, the date window/Cyclops also being scaled down aids with that feeling. It’s obviously done to accommodate for the rotating bezel in the smaller case size. But I felt sort of the same way when I first picked up my 126234 DJ 36mm. It seemed small, but the difference with the DJ36 is the dial and bracelet are larger and helps with that overall perception. However, it’s all relative based on what you’re used to wearing. And looking at wrist shots side by side of the two, the YM 37 does wear larger overall - despite its initial tiny impression. This odd visual mind trick is created all by the dial and bracelet.

But after wearing the YM37 for about 2 days, your perception of the smaller size changes. It just becomes normal. Wearing the smaller size is comfortable and much less in your face than any of the new 40/41mm two-tone and ceramic steel pieces - despite it being solid rose gold. The case is also 1mm thinner than its 40mm big brother at around 10.4mm thick, and that is definitely noticeable while wearing. The rose gold blends into my skin tone really well, and in direct sunlight it almost looks white gold/steel - adding to a toned down look.

Regarding the bracelet, I had never worn an oysterflex bracelet before … It’s very comfortable and I get the hype. The combination of Gold and matte black really works and creates a very cool classic yet modern look. But there is a bit of an adjustment on the wrist/skin. You have to get used to how it feels, especially the venting flaps. They’re a little stiff at first, and the sensation on the wrist I think takes a little getting used to. A PSA here on sizing. In my research I gathered that the letters go as such:
D=4 standard oyster links plus endlink
E=5 links plus endlink
F,G,H - follow the same pattern in increasing link order …

So when I purchased I got one with a D and E because when I wore all my other modern references, I would wear 4 links at 6 o’clock and 5 at 12 o’clock and the used the middle micro-adjustment in the clasp. However, what I forgot to consider was the lug-to-lug measurement of the watch being 5mm less than the watches I was referencing. That’s about 1 link. So what I really needed was a D and an F. Not a big deal as it still fits well, however, the easylink is out and can’t be used and the clasp micro-adjustment is in the last position - so we’re at max capacity for a 6.5 inch wrist. So just a note to anyone interested - buy one side of the OF a size longer than the Charts/ your configuration suggests for this reference.

Bottom line is that personally I am just not a fan of large watches and the large watch look. It’s not my vibe/style/whatever you want say. What I do like is balance, and that’s exactly what I feel this watch gives me. It’s a balance between dress and sport. It’s a balance of modern style and classic size. And most importantly, it’s balanced on my smaller wrist - it just looks right.

Lots of photos attached so you see the idea here. I’ll also attach other references to see the difference in size. Hoping this is a helpful reference to anyone who is considering 37/40mm references with a smaller wrist.

Lastly, I’m glad your wife likes hers too. We both have something in common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 03:25 AM   #2
telesquire
Banned

Looks great and anything over 35mm works for me. I stopped wearing the Sub because it was always stuck on my cuffs and I would also catch it more at work. However the vast majority of this forum is obsessed with BIG watches, much like the world is with big cars too. Lots of small men in Range Rovers I'm afraid. Everyone like to be seen these days. I wear a Rolex solely for me. I like their design, build and feel. It doesn't need to be seen, and even over here there are gangs out mugging people for their Rolex so its even more wise to be discreet. So yes, I'm all for the 37.
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 03:28 AM   #3
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for sharing the pictures! Its crazy folks think the DJ36 is too small. Compared to the others you wore, it too blends perfectly in the collection. I prefer vintage style as well. Sometimes I felt sub 41 is pushing the limits for me.
dnd2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 03:32 AM   #4
johnny.tran1
2024 Pledge Member

depends on the wrist size but i thikn 36mm and up is fine for medium sized wrists.
johnny.tran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 03:34 AM   #5
Gobee
"TRF" Member

Imo, a watch looks best when it is proportionate to the person's wrist. Nice pic!
Gobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 04:08 AM   #6
PaulChronometer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Horage Array
Excellent!! I wish more of the robust (diver-type) models were done in 37-38mm.

I also have a 6.5 inch wrist, and used to have a 39mm Explorer. Which was ok, but at the same time not quite ok: each time I saw the watch in a mirror, I thought that it was a bit too big. The new Explorer went back to 36mm, but 37mm might have been even better..

Anyway, I sold the Explorer and got a 36mm Tudor Prince date+day (the new Explorer is just about impossible to obtain, and I very much like the day complication).

Coming back to your watch, I think sports/dive watches in the range 36-38mm are very much missing (your watch being an exception).
PaulChronometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 04:12 AM   #7
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Looks great in pics but I found the dial on the 37mm YM (blue dial) to be too small when I tried it on. The bezel takes up a lot of room and creates the impression of a small dial, almost to the point of entering women watch territory. I also have 6.5 inch wrists and try to lean towards smaller sized watches except for my largest being the Sub 114060.

I have a 34mm air-king with white dial that wears larger than the YM 37mm.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 04:15 AM   #8
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd2984 View Post
Thanks for sharing the pictures! Its crazy folks think the DJ36 is too small. Compared to the others you wore, it too blends perfectly in the collection. I prefer vintage style as well. Sometimes I felt sub 41 is pushing the limits for me.
The DJ36 wears considerably larger than the YM 37, mainly due to it's longer lugs, skinny bezel, and larger dial.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 04:29 AM   #9
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
Looks great in pics but I found the dial on the 37mm YM (blue dial) to be too small when I tried it on. The bezel takes up a lot of room and creates the impression of a small dial, almost to the point of entering women watch territory. I also have 6.5 inch wrists and try to lean towards smaller sized watches except for my largest being the Sub 114060.

I have a 34mm air-king with white dial that wears larger than the YM 37mm.
Yes, you're 100% right. The dial is what creates the illusion of the watch being tiny. I think also the oysterflex in this case helps make the overall appearance not seem as small as on the 18mm steel or two-tone bracelet. The center links being narrower on the metal bracelets I think also adds to this smaller impression.

But as I mentioned, a lot of this was just first impression. After wearing it for a few days, you don't really notice the dial size.

Old 5 October 2021, 04:32 AM   #10
blaferty
"TRF" Member

Thanks for informative writeup.
The chart I saw: 'D' at 6 o'clock and 'F' at 12 o'clock is for wrist size 152mm - 162 mm which is 6'' - 6.38".
Why is the Easylink out ?
blaferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 04:45 AM   #11
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaferty View Post
Thanks for informative writeup.
The chart I saw: 'D' at 6 o'clock and 'F' at 12 o'clock is for wrist size 152mm - 162 mm which is 6'' - 6.38".
Why is the Easylink out ?
Yes, I found varying degrees of answers with these charts when it came to trying to figure out your OF size. There are also some OF's with 2 different letters written which can further complicate things. The explanation I think on a post here where the letter corresponded to the number of links made the most sense.

The easy link is out because it wouldn't fit my wrist if it was in. So for this reference and straps, the max D + E is about 6.5 inches. I am going to try to source either another E or an F so I can make use of the EasyLink. For now it fits fine.
Old 5 October 2021, 05:03 AM   #12
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
TL;DR. Can anyone post a summary?
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 05:19 AM   #13
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
TL;DR. Can anyone post a summary?
I think modern Rolex sport watches are too large and I don't like the way they look on my smaller 6.5 inch wrist.

I purchased a 37mm yacht-master and think it fits perfectly.

Since there isn't much information on the forums about 37mm sizes, I posted a breakdown of my thoughts on the first few days of ownership.
Old 5 October 2021, 05:22 AM   #14
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i had the 37mm in two tone and i ended up selling it. the size wasn't the issue but i couldn't get past the illusion that the thick bezel created. it shrunk the dial and made it seem like i was wearing a 35mm watch which felt weird because it's a sports model. it was like i was wearing a 35mm sub while knowing it should be bigger lol. the case is bigger than that of a datejust 36 but the datejust wears bigger, so it just felt off to me. looks great in your photos though
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 05:30 AM   #15
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmbarrack View Post
I think modern Rolex sport watches are too large and I don't like the way they look on my smaller 6.5 inch wrist.

I purchased a 37mm yacht-master and think it fits perfectly.

Since there isn't much information on the forums about 37mm sizes, I posted a breakdown of my thoughts on the first few days of ownership.
Thanks OP! Like many, my attention span should be prefaced by brief.

Really like the message. I recently bought one of the new 36mm OP, and while I love my BB58 and BLRO, the 3-4mm difference is noticeable, and very welcome! The 36 contours to my 6.5 in wrist extremely well.

We’ve had a renaissance of sorts with smaller, mostly 36mm watches. It’s like 36 is the new 40!

Wear in good health. The 37mm YM looks excellent on you.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 09:04 PM   #16
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rarely is the 37mm option for the YM discussed here on these forums. If you do a search, you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone with a lot of insightful information.

I can certainly understand that. The style for decades has been large. But I gotta say, I see a lot of people wearing watches that are just way to big for their wrist. In fact, sometimes I wonder if someone’s people like their watches because they look good or because they’re hyped everywhere you look. Also, for every 10 “is this too big?” thread I see, I see maybe two “is this too small?”. So I can’t be alone in my thinking that a lot of these watches look overpowering on the wrist. Having owned a BLNR, 11 LV sub, YM 40 and SD4K, I can tell you that they never quite ever sat right on my wrist. So much so they were always no-gos after a few weeks of wearing. No amount of adjusting of the clasps and bracelet links helped. I just didn’t like the unbalanced look on my 6.5 inch wrist. Especially with the glidelock clasps being almost as thick and wider than the watch itself.

I tried to research the 37mm YMs as the logical downsized choice but limited information is available for them outside of a few Watchbox videos. There’s not much information at all on here about them and their fit and wear.

So recently I purchased a YM 37 268655 and have been wearing it for several days now. I thought I would share some thoughts and insights for posterity if anyone is looking for information in the future on making a decision.

The word I’ll use is “balanced”. The watch wears very balanced on my 6.5 inch wrist. It sits directly centered, I see the same amount of bracelet on both sides of the watch (12/6) and the watch never seems to creep toward the 12 side. The clasp sits on the underside of the wrist comfortably and centered. Modern Rolex clasps we all know are superior to the old ones but they’re also thick, the slightly thinner tapered 18mm bracelet size on the 37mm case is just that much smaller you notice the difference.

At first glance / view / holding the YM37 in your hand - yes, without a doubt your first impression is “tiny” - let’s not mince words and skirt around that fact. Especially if you’re used to wearing 40mm 5 digit and 6 digit references. But this is quite deceiving because of 1 single design feature - the dial.

The dial size is small visually at first, the date window/Cyclops also being scaled down aids with that feeling. It’s obviously done to accommodate for the rotating bezel in the smaller case size. But I felt sort of the same way when I first picked up my 126234 DJ 36mm. It seemed small, but the difference with the DJ36 is the dial and bracelet are larger and helps with that overall perception. However, it’s all relative based on what you’re used to wearing. And looking at wrist shots side by side of the two, the YM 37 does wear larger overall - despite its initial tiny impression. This odd visual mind trick is created all by the dial and bracelet.

But after wearing the YM37 for about 2 days, your perception of the smaller size changes. It just becomes normal. Wearing the smaller size is comfortable and much less in your face than any of the new 40/41mm two-tone and ceramic steel pieces - despite it being solid rose gold. The case is also 1mm thinner than its 40mm big brother at around 10.4mm thick, and that is definitely noticeable while wearing. The rose gold blends into my skin tone really well, and in direct sunlight it almost looks white gold/steel - adding to a toned down look.

Regarding the bracelet, I had never worn an oysterflex bracelet before … It’s very comfortable and I get the hype. The combination of Gold and matte black really works and creates a very cool classic yet modern look. But there is a bit of an adjustment on the wrist/skin. You have to get used to how it feels, especially the venting flaps. They’re a little stiff at first, and the sensation on the wrist I think takes a little getting used to. A PSA here on sizing. In my research I gathered that the letters go as such:
D=4 standard oyster links plus endlink
E=5 links plus endlink
F,G,H - follow the same pattern in increasing link order …

So when I purchased I got one with a D and E because when I wore all my other modern references, I would wear 4 links at 6 o’clock and 5 at 12 o’clock and the used the middle micro-adjustment in the clasp. However, what I forgot to consider was the lug-to-lug measurement of the watch being 5mm less than the watches I was referencing. That’s about 1 link. So what I really needed was a D and an F. Not a big deal as it still fits well, however, the easylink is out and can’t be used and the clasp micro-adjustment is in the last position - so we’re at max capacity for a 6.5 inch wrist. So just a note to anyone interested - buy one side of the OF a size longer than the Charts/ your configuration suggests for this reference.

Bottom line is that personally I am just not a fan of large watches and the large watch look. It’s not my vibe/style/whatever you want say. What I do like is balance, and that’s exactly what I feel this watch gives me. It’s a balance between dress and sport. It’s a balance of modern style and classic size. And most importantly, it’s balanced on my smaller wrist - it just looks right.

Lots of photos attached so you see the idea here. I’ll also attach other references to see the difference in size. Hoping this is a helpful reference to anyone who is considering 37/40mm references with a smaller wrist.

Lastly, I’m glad your wife likes hers too. We both have something in common.

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I am glad I found it! This is exactly the information I was looking for as I am in a very similar situation. I currently own a YM40 TT 126621, and while I like it alot...it just feels overpowering on my wrist. I think I also have around 6.5inch wrist (havent measured in a while)....I own a 116500ln and 214270 Mk2 and I wear 4 links on the 6oclock side and 6 links on the 12oclock side with the micro adjust at the middle setting. With the Daytona, I love the size and feel on the wrist, same with the Explorer...but the YM just feels too big and overpowering. I also really have wanted the full gold Oysterflex. I am selling my TT and going after the Rose Gold, but i'm still undecided on sizing. I tried the 37mm on once back in 2019 and instantly felt it was too small, but now after reading more and looking more online...I think I like the smaller almost vintage feel the smaller size gives off.

Do you still own this watch?
jcdevoe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 09:13 PM   #17
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdevoe26 View Post
I know this is a pretty old thread, but I am glad I found it! This is exactly the information I was looking for as I am in a very similar situation. I currently own a YM40 TT 126621, and while I like it alot...it just feels overpowering on my wrist. I think I also have around 6.5inch wrist (havent measured in a while)....I own a 116500ln and 214270 Mk2 and I wear 4 links on the 6oclock side and 6 links on the 12oclock side with the micro adjust at the middle setting. With the Daytona, I love the size and feel on the wrist, same with the Explorer...but the YM just feels too big and overpowering. I also really have wanted the full gold Oysterflex. I am selling my TT and going after the Rose Gold, but i'm still undecided on sizing. I tried the 37mm on once back in 2019 and instantly felt it was too small, but now after reading more and looking more online...I think I like the smaller almost vintage feel the smaller size gives off.

Do you still own this watch?

I actually ended up selling it and I’ll tell you why. While the watch looks great visually on wrist to you as the wearer - it looked super small to everyone else. The issue I think is 2 things - the small dial diameter and the 18mm bracelet.

That said, while the 2 tone YM I didn’t like the size, I think maybe the 40mm rose gold YM might actually work out better. I think the oysterflex bracelets, because of their design with the flaps, make your wrist appear larger than it is. So visually I think it just looks better than the oyster bracelet which is right against the wrist.

Ultimately, the Daytona for me always wins out and that’s what I currently have. The 38 mm case of the Daytona, the dial size, the fit, the feel, it’s really the only modern Rolex that ticks all the boxes for me.

Old 21 August 2024, 10:16 PM   #18
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I see a lot of people wearing watches that are just way to big for their wrist.
If it doesn't look too big to the owner, it isn't too big. I've seen 37mm YMs at my AD and thought it a nicely proportioned watch. You wouldn't think that 1mm would make much of a difference compared to something at 36mm, but it does register - at least to my eyes.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 11:19 PM   #19
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
It’s all a matter of personal taste. Like clothing, other accessories etc.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 11:48 PM   #20
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I actually ended up selling it and I’ll tell you why. While the watch looks great visually on wrist to you as the wearer - it looked super small to everyone else. The issue I think is 2 things - the small dial diameter and the 18mm bracelet.

That said, while the 2 tone YM I didn’t like the size, I think maybe the 40mm rose gold YM might actually work out better. I think the oysterflex bracelets, because of their design with the flaps, make your wrist appear larger than it is. So visually I think it just looks better than the oyster bracelet which is right against the wrist.

Ultimately, the Daytona for me always wins out and that’s what I currently have. The 38 mm case of the Daytona, the dial size, the fit, the feel, it’s really the only modern Rolex that ticks all the boxes for me.

Thanks for the response! When I tried on the 40 on Oysterflex I did notice that it felt/looked visually smaller on the wrist then the TT with bracelet. I guess I could buy the 37mm and if I dont love it I can pass over to my wife :-).

I completely agree about the Daytona...I went Grey recently to get a 116500ln and do not regret it, I love everything about that watch, which was funny because I was a daytona hater until I finally got a chance to try on my friends and instantly fell in love. It currently gets most of my wrist time...
Old 21 August 2024, 11:57 PM   #21
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I think that YM looks too small on you. Interesting how you wrote that larger watches were always no-gos after a few weeks of wearing and you reviewed this after wearing the YM for only a few days. Maybe your opinion will change on this after a prolonged period.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 12:08 AM   #22
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
If it doesn't look too big to the owner, it isn't too big. I've seen 37mm YMs at my AD and thought it a nicely proportioned watch. You wouldn't think that 1mm would make much of a difference compared to something at 36mm, but it does register - at least to my eyes.
1mm doesn't make much of a difference on paper, yes. But what needs to be considered is the dial diameter and bezel. The bezel and dial ratios are very different on the YM 37 than on the DJ 36 even though there is only a small case size difference.

Visually, the more you wear it, it just looks slightly off.
Old 22 August 2024, 12:59 AM   #23
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
A case for 37

Congrats! It looks perfect on you. Thanks for posting it. My wrist is just a few mm smaller than yours, and why my Rolexes are both 36 mm. As someone said above, I really wish Rolex would make some more sport models in 37-39 mm range. I am looking forward to my 36 mm Explorer 1, which should come in soon. Great pics, and a great color choice. Oops! I see you sold it because it looked smaller to others? Why would that bother you? That looks great in the pics! I predict if you get the 40, you will not be happy with the fit, and wish you had kept the 37. Oh, well….

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 02:19 AM   #24
bibbi
"TRF" Member

YM37 on a 16cm wrist. IMHO fits perfectly. All thanks to the black matte bezel and oysterflex. Some time ago I tried the Rhodium SS YM37 - it looked feminine on my small wrist.

bibbi
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 10:39 PM   #25
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbi View Post
YM37 on a 16cm wrist. IMHO fits perfectly. All thanks to the black matte bezel and oysterflex. Some time ago I tried the Rhodium SS YM37 - it looked feminine on my small wrist.

bibbi
I think this looks perfect on your wrist size...does the dial proportion feel small? I did some research and the 37mm version has a dial size of only 26mm! Its the same size dial as an OP 34mm. The Exp.36/OP36/DJ36 all have a bigger dial.
Old 25 August 2024, 05:14 AM   #26
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdevoe26 View Post
I think this looks perfect on your wrist size...does the dial proportion feel small? I did some research and the 37mm version has a dial size of only 26mm! Its the same size dial as an OP 34mm. The Exp.36/OP36/DJ36 all have a bigger dial.

Not on this one. As I mentioned- the black matte bezel makes all the trick. Thanks to it our brain sees the entire watch of 37mm and it looks good. As I also mentioned it was another case with rhodium on braclet. The dial looked sooo small and the entire watch as feminine or borrowed from my kid…

bibbi
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote