The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 22 August 2024, 04:09 AM   #1
PeterA280
"TRF" Member

Rolex GMY Master II Service

I have a 1999 era GMT Master II (A serial number) Watch has been a safe queen for most of the time. I wear it very occaisolnally so its in excellent shape. Main reason being is the number of watches I have. Watch runs great but I should probably have it serviced since lubrication dries out over time.

There are very few wear marks and the watch has never been polished. If I send it in for service, I don't want Rolex to polish it or change any parts. How do I make sure that they keep the watch original?
PeterA280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 04:53 AM   #2
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterA280 View Post
How do I make sure that they keep the watch original?
Simply tell the RSC you want a movement-only service with no polishing/refinishing. And make sure the paperwork states that.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 04:57 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum.

If it’s running great I wouldn’t have them service it
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 07:36 AM   #4
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Are you planning to drop it off in person? In my experience, they’ll ask if you'd like to wait, which usually takes about 30 minutes, or if you'd prefer they contact you later with a quote. I always choose to wait in their waiting area.

Once the evaluation is complete, they’ll call you back to the front desk to review their findings. Some recommendations might be optional—like a dial replacement, which was the case for me—where you'll need to sign or initial if you agree. Other recommendations could be necessary, such as replacing the hands. If you don’t agree to the necessary work and refuse to sign, they’ll reassemble the watch and return it to you as is without a service.

You’ll also confirm your choice about whether or not to have the watch polished on the paperwork. While there’s always a slight risk that a mistake could be made, they’re generally very good at following your instructions.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 07:41 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Simply tell the RSC you want a movement-only service with no polishing/refinishing. And make sure the paperwork states that.
And then cross your fingers.
Old 22 August 2024, 08:39 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
If it's just lube and seals, find a good local watchmaker.
Old 22 August 2024, 09:02 AM   #7
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
If it's just lube and seals, find a good local watchmaker.
I understand your point, but RSC has its advantages. They provide a card that helps build the watch’s provenance, and they offer a two-year warranty that they’ll honor without any hassle—something that’s not always guaranteed with an independent service. It also gives you the peace of mind that the watch hasn’t been reported stolen previously. Additionally, Rolex won’t charge you for parts, and in my experience, independent services can actually be more expensive when movement parts need replacement. I could probably list a few more pros of going with RSC.
Old 22 August 2024, 10:28 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
I understand your point, but RSC has its advantages. They provide a card that helps build the watch’s provenance, and they offer a two-year warranty that they’ll honor without any hassle—something that’s not always guaranteed with an independent service. It also gives you the peace of mind that the watch hasn’t been reported stolen previously. Additionally, Rolex won’t charge you for parts, and in my experience, independent services can actually be more expensive when movement parts need replacement. I could probably list a few more pros of going with RSC.
The guy has a watch that is seldom worn and likely doesn't need any parts or provenance, he just wants it lubricated and sound seals.

Sending to RSC from Hawaii and spending the money for a full service it likely doesn't need is always a choice, but in this case an expensive choice.

The RSC is some folks always go-to response, but it isn't always the most cost effective, or even the best maintenance, option.
Old 24 August 2024, 04:30 PM   #9
zapokee
"TRF" Member

There's a Rolex AD in Waikiki, just off the beach. Have a word with them.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2024, 03:20 AM   #10
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The guy has a watch that is seldom worn and likely doesn't need any parts or provenance, he just wants it lubricated and sound seals.

Sending to RSC from Hawaii and spending the money for a full service it likely doesn't need is always a choice, but in this case an expensive choice.
If that’s the case for his watch then I fully agree.

Quote:
The RSC is some folks always go-to response, but it isn't always the most cost effective, or even the best maintenance, option.
Similarly, some people instinctively bash RSC and advocate for independent service, especially for vintage watches, under the false pretense that RSC will replace everything under the sun without the owner’s permission. However, the decision to go with an independent or RSC should be made on a case by case basis. There are pros and cons to both options, depending on the individual circumstances.
Old 25 August 2024, 05:59 AM   #11
MitchSF
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona, Sub, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Idditionally, Rolex won’t charge you for parts, and in my experience, independent services can actually be more expensive when movement parts need replacement. I could probably list a few more pros of going with RSC.
That was an issue for me. A trusted independent quoted almost $500 for a crown, tube, and bezel insert for a 16710, in addition to the service. I decided to use RSC for this overhaul because it worked out to cost much less.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote