The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 August 2024, 09:58 PM   #1
harrison_cheng
"TRF" Member

Chanel and MB&F Announce Partnership

https://en.worldtempus.com/article/b...nel-78924.html
harrison_cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 10:32 PM   #2
CNY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange
Max and his team deserve the payday, and I’ve enjoyed some of Chanel’s pieces. Looking forward to what it brings.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 10:39 PM   #3
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Well. Not sure I like this. You can debate ownership % and day to day decision-making, but at what point do you simply become part of a conglomerate similar to Lange, VC, Breguet. Same applies to FPJ of course.
ChetBaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 10:42 PM   #4
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Happy for Max and the rest of the MB&F team. I try not to be pessimistic about things like this so I hope it’s only good things for the brand going forward. I’m not a current owner but hope to be one someday.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 10:46 PM   #5
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
Well. Not sure I like this. You can debate ownership % and day to day decision-making, but at what point do you simply become part of a conglomerate similar to Lange, VC, Breguet. Same applies to FPJ of course.
Chanel's owner is a bigtime watchguy.

Think of it aa an inoculation that prevents disease. Chanel coming in as minority stakeholder prevents possiblitlity of having to sell out to a conglomerate later.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 10:51 PM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

mbf-tribe.jpg
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 10:59 PM   #7
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Chanel's owner is a bigtime watchguy.

Think of it aa an inoculation that prevents disease. Chanel coming in as minority stakeholder prevents possiblitlity of having to sell out to a conglomerate later.
I understand the idea. But what’s the difference between a Vacheron being owned by Richemont or FPJ and MB&F being partially owned by Chanel, which similarly does all kinds of luxury goods, fragrances etc. Is it just the %?
Old 22 August 2024, 11:02 PM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Fully powned versus just a minor stakeholder.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 22 August 2024, 11:59 PM   #9
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Love it. Good for him.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 12:00 AM   #10
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Sure - i’m just nitpicking here. Think where I was going is where does an independent stop being an independent. Would 49% shareholding still be ok, what if Chanel sets sales targets or volume growth. These guys are not in it for the love of it. It’s a slippery slope. After De Bethune, FPJ, Parmigiani, MB&F looks like we’re saying goodbye to the fully independent manufacturers of old. Not very romantic, but perhaps not a problem at all and being part of a larger group is just needed to secure the long-term viability.
Old 23 August 2024, 12:25 AM   #11
raclaims
"TRF" Member

25% or more or less than 25%, it's still a significant change to day to day business for an independent business that is used to being fully independent. Now it could bring a benefit to operational efficiencies or shared resources or access to talent etc., which should help them lower their prices and increase profitability. It could also create internal strife and grief...we shall see.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 12:34 AM   #12
dmb359
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Happy for Max and the team, and hope it all works out great and there's many more great timepieces to come.

It's my favorite independent brand
Old 23 August 2024, 12:41 AM   #13
GB-man

Watch: addiction issues
Based on what we have seen from journe I don’t foresee any forcing of the hand by Chanel. Journe could have doubled or tripled production in the last decade and chooses not to. I see this as positive news for MBF just as I did for FPJ. I don’t see how it’s any relation to richemont brands that are entirely owned and many have long been detached from the founding families etc
Old 23 August 2024, 12:42 AM   #14
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I understand the idea. But what’s the difference between a Vacheron being owned by Richemont or FPJ and MB&F being partially owned by Chanel, which similarly does all kinds of luxury goods, fragrances etc. Is it just the %?
It's a giant difference.

Vacheron is owned wholly and is affected by the need to generate short term shareholder value.

Chanel is privately owned by a guy who collects watches. And he takes a minority stake that gives the watch company liquidity in the event of market ups and downs but does not change the direction or values or freedom of the watchmakers to execute their vision, but rather supports these.

As a p.s. what people miss is that FPJ was, from early on, fronted by a group of investors who are watch loving friends of François-Paul. The head of Chanel is just one of these exact types of personal friends of FP who came in to join the others and support FP's work.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 02:05 AM   #15
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

There can certainly be a difference - but to me as a collector it becomes a sliding scale and a matter of degree, with full independence (financial, strategy, marketing, watchmaking) and group-owned (focus on short-term shareholder value) at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Once you sell a stake in your business to secure third-party financing, at the very least you’re no longer financially independent. You will also naturally lose a certain degree of control over the direction of the brand, there’s no free lunch in the end. So are you still truly an “independent” in the strict sense of the word, and does that even matter to collectors. Put differently - would collectors prefer the old MB&F or the new MB&F, assuming of course that both set-ups would be equally viable long-term?
Old 23 August 2024, 02:20 AM   #16
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There can certainly be a difference - but to me as a collector it becomes a sliding scale and a matter of degree, with full independence (financial, strategy, marketing, watchmaking) and group-owned (focus on short-term shareholder value) at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Once you sell a stake in your business to secure third-party financing, at the very least you’re no longer financially independent. You will also naturally lose a certain degree of control over the direction of the brand, there’s no free lunch in the end. So are you still truly an “independent” in the strict sense of the word, and does that even matter to collectors. Put differently - would collectors prefer the old MB&F or the new MB&F, assuming of course that both set-ups would be equally viable long-term?
How selling a minority stake removes any financial independence given that Max owns 60% of the firm???? I would say it increases financial independence as alternative would be debt that potentially can be used to cram down Max's equity position in event of distress.
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 03:34 AM   #17
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
It's a giant difference.

Vacheron is owned wholly and is affected by the need to generate short term shareholder value.

Chanel is privately owned by a guy who collects watches. And he takes a minority stake that gives the watch company liquidity in the event of market ups and downs but does not change the direction or values or freedom of the watchmakers to execute their vision, but rather supports these.

As a p.s. what people miss is that FPJ was, from early on, fronted by a group of investors who are watch loving friends of François-Paul. The head of Chanel is just one of these exact types of personal friends of FP who came in to join the others and support FP's work.
Quote:
When Journe let Chanel became a 25% stakeholder, we had the same debate. In Max's case, I think it is the same motivation to ensure the brand will continue to thrive beyond him as an independent. It is to prevent the exact situation where someone like LVMH, Richemont, etc to scoop in and destroy the independence of the brand. Especially when FP and Max's children may have no interest of taking over the business.

One thing I found funny is that the only complain I have with any MB&F watches is the deployant buckle and it is the part supplied by Chanel.

Only time will tell but the most example I can think of was LVMH's attempted hostile takeover of Hermes. And fortunately the heirs were able to fend off LVMH.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 04:07 AM   #18
GB-man

Not that it matters but Chanel’s stake in FPJ is 20% not 25.
Old 23 August 2024, 05:36 AM   #19
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

They’ve done a good job with FPJ and Gauthier.
Old 23 August 2024, 06:13 AM   #20
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Good for them. Chanel knows a thing or two about running a business and maintaining brand value
Old 23 August 2024, 06:46 AM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
They’ve done a good job with FPJ and Gauthier.
+1

And Chanel have a stake in Kenissi (Tudor, etc).

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 23 August 2024, 08:04 AM   #22
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
At 25% equity, Chanel won't have a say in the operation of the business. Max is in full control. The only caveat is how the exit clause is written. If Chanel decides to sell their shares and exit the business, how does Max come up with the funds to buy them out? That would be the only poison pill that could affect the decision making process day to day. If an internal strife should happen, the threat of pulling out by Chanel can upset the cards.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 10:46 AM   #23
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Good for them. Chanel knows a thing or two about running a business and maintaining brand value
Not sure about that according to my wife (which is our in-house expert on this subject ). The multiple price hikes with lowered quality have driven a lot of people to other brands like Hermes. Hard to see Hermes as a value brand but when Chanel is costing more than Hermes, I know which brand will most people pick. My wife's Chanel SA used to be really low key but now my wife gets text on "offerings" every 1-2 weeks.
Old 23 August 2024, 11:01 AM   #24
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
At 25% equity, Chanel won't have a say in the operation of the business. Max is in full control. The only caveat is how the exit clause is written. If Chanel decides to sell their shares and exit the business, how does Max come up with the funds to buy them out? That would be the only poison pill that could affect the decision making process day to day. If an internal strife should happen, the threat of pulling out by Chanel can upset the cards.

Likely just lever up and complete the buyout. I just did this with one of my cos last year. It’s common.
Old 24 August 2024, 01:12 AM   #25
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Not sure about that according to my wife (which is our in-house expert on this subject ). The multiple price hikes with lowered quality have driven a lot of people to other brands like Hermes. Hard to see Hermes as a value brand but when Chanel is costing more than Hermes, I know which brand will most people pick. My wife's Chanel SA used to be really low key but now my wife gets text on "offerings" every 1-2 weeks.
Right. Chanel along with Kering, LVMH, Richemont, and Hermes have all increased priced dramatically, reduced quality (maybe not Hermes), and sought to further limit accessibility. A minor investment today is the foot in the door for a more substantive stake tomorrow. Tomorrow might still be a decade or two away but once the founders are ready to hit the beach and/or they screw up and require additional capital, Chanel will be there to take over. At that point there's no reason to think they won't do like they do with their core brand that has made them so successful - margin expansion through both higher prices and cost cutting. Sure, the brands will live forever but will sacrifice the enthusiasts in favor of luxury customers.
ajw45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2024, 02:14 AM   #26
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
Right. Chanel along with Kering, LVMH, Richemont, and Hermes have all increased priced dramatically, reduced quality (maybe not Hermes), and sought to further limit accessibility. A minor investment today is the foot in the door for a more substantive stake tomorrow. Tomorrow might still be a decade or two away but once the founders are ready to hit the beach and/or they screw up and require additional capital, Chanel will be there to take over. At that point there's no reason to think they won't do like they do with their core brand that has made them so successful - margin expansion through both higher prices and cost cutting. Sure, the brands will live forever but will sacrifice the enthusiasts in favor of luxury customers.
Let's hope the investment from Chanel in RG, FPJ and MB&F are based on the brothers' own interest in watches and not pure corporate greed. A lot of us have a bit of physical and emotional investments in these brands. It will be a shame if they followed the path of Vacheron, Breguet, etc once the founders are gone.

Only time will tell. My concern with independents is long term serviceability of their watches and investment from Chanel will likely help in that aspect. In the meantime, let's enjoy it while it is still great.
Old 24 August 2024, 11:56 AM   #27
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Let's hope the investment from Chanel in RG, FPJ and MB&F are based on the brothers' own interest in watches and not pure corporate greed. A lot of us have a bit of physical and emotional investments in these brands. It will be a shame if they followed the path of Vacheron, Breguet, etc once the founders are gone.

Only time will tell. My concern with independents is long term serviceability of their watches and investment from Chanel will likely help in that aspect. In the meantime, let's enjoy it while it is still great.
If that was what they wanted to do they would have invested personally, they are rich enough to do that. Doing it under the Chanel group means this is not just a passion project or patronage. Our emotional attachment to the brands is exactly what they are investing in, it is the brand equity not the watch making.
Old 24 August 2024, 08:52 PM   #28
GB-man

Quote:
If that was what they wanted to do they would have invested personally, they are rich enough to do that. Doing it under the Chanel group means this is not just a passion project or patronage. Our emotional attachment to the brands is exactly what they are investing in, it is the brand equity not the watch making.

I would think there are financial/tax benefits to using the business to make the investment?
Old 25 August 2024, 06:57 AM   #29
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I would think there are financial/tax benefits to using the business to make the investment?
Possibly, not knowing enough about Chanel, the CEO, or EU accounting I haven't a clue. It's an asset and given the value of Chanel I imagine the founder would have had no problem getting it financed personally if he wanted.
Old 26 August 2024, 11:12 AM   #30
GB-man

Quote:
Possibly, not knowing enough about Chanel, the CEO, or EU accounting I haven't a clue. It's an asset and given the value of Chanel I imagine the founder would have had no problem getting it financed personally if he wanted.

I’d love to see this guys watch collection. Imagine the one offs lol