The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 August 2024, 07:20 AM   #1
Feh
"TRF" Member

Why is the SD43 decaying in value?

Not a value thread, but more of curiosity on why do we think it's not as appealing as a traditional sub.
Feh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 07:23 AM   #2
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
It has never been a so called “must have”. It’s a hair behind the Deep Sea in size, it’s thicker than a sub and a size that doesn’t appeal to most.
Old 23 August 2024, 07:34 AM   #3
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
For me, it was a step too far from the classic… too large and never should have received a cyclops. SD4k is/was perfect.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 07:45 AM   #4
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
I prefer the SD43 over my Sub, love that extra size and weight, the Sub is good, in fact very good but the SD43 is just very very good.

Happy to have both at the moment.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 07:52 AM   #5
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I think the SD43 had its moment in the sun when new but both it and the DSSD are niche models, the Sub line outsells it 10 to 1 I would bet.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 08:08 AM   #6
1st amg
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Its an in-between and it only caters to a certain few clientele. When you entertain a small group of buyers such as in homes and real estate, it will never garner the same money.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 08:39 AM   #7
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 / YM40 / DJ41
I had the opportunity to decide between a Sub & an SD43 side by side at my AD earlier in the year. On my wrist, the size of the SD, the more symmetrical markings on the bezel, & the splash of red on the dial, meant it hands down won over the Sub for me. It’s a ‘Super Sub’. A Sub on steroids. Just all round……more impressive. Still blows me away now as I had to buy it.

The Sub is the Sub though, & has the more known name so will always be more in demand. For some, the history or the word ‘icon’ will be an important part of the buying decision. Not for me - which looked the best on my wrist was more important.

As far as falling in value is concerned, in the current market it’s really not that different to most Rolex models.
Wilco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 09:34 AM   #8
TheVision
"TRF" Member

A good friend of mine owned one some years back. He traded it for the new sub date. And hes a big dood.

I owned 2 variations of the Omega 43mm planet ocean and then sold them both and moved to the smaller SMP. Same applies to the SD ...for daily wear and comfort, sub is the PERFECT dive watch. I have no interest in bigger chunkier dive watches now.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 10:14 AM   #9
43Airking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Next one
I have to admit I’ve wondered the same. I have one and love it - got it at the AD - so probably over paid Vs grey in current market - Like some say here “buy it because you like it not for an investment” Don’t regret my purchase at all.
43Airking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 10:20 AM   #10
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
For me, it was a step too far from the classic… too large and never should have received a cyclops. SD4k is/was perfect.

Passing on the SD4K is one of my few regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 10:32 AM   #11
Dayton ssb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona ss b
Love mine.. it’s like a iPhone max. Legibility on steroids. Def . Hefty. Additionally nice contrast to a SS Daytona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dayton ssb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 10:39 AM   #12
43Airking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Next one
Photo reference always helps the thread :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
43Airking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 03:21 PM   #13
Cru Jones

If they were priced the same (or basically the same), I wonder what that would change for people.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 03:29 PM   #14
Ryanonarcher
"TRF" Member

I’ve owned it and Despite loving so much about it, i couldn’t get past the size. It’s big. No way around it. It is. Despite the “perfect proportions”, it’s a big watch, with a wide bracelet.

That limits the market.

It’s taken years for me to realize how great the 116600 is. Perfection.
Ryanonarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 04:51 PM   #15
londondude
"TRF" Member

I find the hour and minute hands to be too small. They are proportioned to the dial but not the watch. Some slightly larger ones would help, similar to the explorer II. It’s the only thing I dislike about the watch
londondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 05:10 PM   #16
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

I think if Tiger Woods was still popular the SD43 would enjoy much more fan fair. He wears one all the time. I like mine. It feels like a G-Shock. I'm saying it as a good thing.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 05:31 PM   #17
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ36 & BB54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco68 View Post
I had the opportunity to decide between a Sub & an SD43 side by side at my AD earlier in the year. On my wrist, the size of the SD, the more symmetrical markings on the bezel, & the splash of red on the dial, meant it hands down won over the Sub for me. It’s a ‘Super Sub’. A Sub on steroids. Just all round……more impressive. Still blows me away now as I had to buy it.

The Sub is the Sub though, & has the more known name so will always be more in demand. For some, the history or the word ‘icon’ will be an important part of the buying decision. Not for me - which looked the best on my wrist was more important.

As far as falling in value is concerned, in the current market it’s really not that different to most Rolex models.
The size of the SD is what puts most people off. Bigger is not always better. I have a Sub and that's borderline too big and I'm above average in the wrist size department.
OG1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 05:33 PM   #18
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ36 & BB54
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphr1 View Post
I think if Tiger Woods was still popular the SD43 would enjoy much more fan fair. He wears one all the time. I like mine. It feels like a G-Shock. I'm saying it as a good thing.
I thought Tiger wore a DSSD, James Cameron?

This is coming from a non Tiger/Pro golf fan, so I guess he is still fairly popular if I know that.
OG1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 05:40 PM   #19
majidessa
"TRF" Member

The SD43 wears too big and too thick, it is similar to the deep sea rather than a sub. At the same time, the sub has grown bugger over the years, when you compare a 5 digit sub to a 6 digit one, the watch has gone bigger in every aspect and has more wrist presence than ever before, in other words the latest Sub ref has become the perfect diver that fits majority of wrists.

While the Deepsea, SD43, and YMII, are exotic releases that do not share the wearability DNA that Rolex is known for in the watch world, I would bet that when the time comes, Rolex might tweak the SD43 with better proportions.
majidessa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 06:46 PM   #20
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 / YM40 / DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by majidessa View Post
The SD43 wears too big and too thick / in other words the latest Sub ref has become the perfect diver that fits majority of wrists / Rolex might tweak the SD43 with better proportions.
I’m not finding mine too big & thick at all. Easily slips under the cuff of a work shirt & jacket for me by way of example.

Even the new Sub size was too small for me so very much less than perfect. I think Rolex got the 43mm case (& the aesthetic) spot on, otherwise it’s too close to the Sub & it’s great for buyers to have different options.

That’s the key really - one isn’t ‘better’ than the other in reality, it’s what works for the individual. I was lucky to be able to try both at the same time and make an informed decision for me.
Wilco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 06:58 PM   #21
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Price and wearability
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 07:05 PM   #22
robertengel
"TRF" Member

As someone about to sell his, it's too thick. Thats all. Demand for anything over 41mm is lower as it sizes out many people. SD43 sits quite nicely across the wrist, it's not heavy by any means and I think it looks more interesting, its also superbly sizeable. I do not think the cyclops matters. That being said peak SD is the 116600 I guess.
robertengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 07:08 PM   #23
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

Tiger wears and has worn for many years nearly exclusively, the larger DSSD.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 07:32 PM   #24
HogwldFLTR

Watch: Too many to list!
Sea Dwellers have historically traded lower relative to MSRP than Subs. Why? They cost more and people can scratch their itch with a Sub and part with less money.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 09:54 PM   #25
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
It is the size and the wear of the watch. Typically you need a larger wrist to wear it comfortably.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 10:39 PM   #26
MickCollins1916
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
I love SDs - I have 4, including SD43 - but they’re a niche line of watches compared to the sub. I’m not sad about the value right now as any decline helps slightly on the insurance bill.

That said, it’s a fantastic watch and though it is thick, which I normally dislike in a watch, the rounded case back makes it sit perfectly on my wrist, as I suspect it does for many others.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 10:49 PM   #27
TinFoilCat
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC Ingenieur 3508
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
It is the size and the wear of the watch. Typically you need a larger wrist to wear it comfortably.
Completely agree, I really think it is this simple… I don’t think there is anything else stopping this being a classic, it’s a brilliant watch…. It’s just there are far fewer people who feel comfortable with a watch that size, compared to a Sub or a GMT
TinFoilCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 10:52 PM   #28
Mystro

SD were never popular in general. Always a niche watch but this SD43 was the most uncomfortable Rolex I have ever owned. Absolutely THE only Rolex I couldn’t wear and yet the larger DSSD was significantly more comfortable with its titanium flatter case back.
Had the SD43 have a flatter case back I would still own it.

Old 24 August 2024, 12:07 AM   #29
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
It's always been a niche watch. The previous version was too much like an expensive Sub. The current version is too big for many. So it's never going to have the mass appeal of a Submariner. The cost is a big issue for many as they see it as a Sub +$3,000
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2024, 12:32 AM   #30
Feh
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the insights. Just saw a thread on how the poster feels the SD43 feels uncomfortable. The answer would be to get a Submariner to complement.