The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 August 2024, 02:41 AM   #61
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR 226570
Inconceivable.

Rolex's are super rare and in short supply.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 02:55 AM   #62
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Chillax, man! It’s the most a popular luxury watch brand in the world. Of course you saw a lot in Vegas. So what!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 03:03 AM   #63
Peej
"TRF" Member

I was also in Vegas recently and noticed the exact same thing. My analogy for this: It’s like going to the Oscar’s and seeing a bunch of other really famous people. Yes, you’re not the only famous person on the planet… While I wouldn’t say I was disgusted by how many Rolex I saw in the wild it did remind me how uncommon it is to see people wearing other brands. I also used my time in Vegas to check out almost every boutique on the strip. It’s a great place to see so many watches. I had a Moonswatch for this trip because I was traveling around and didn’t need to bring along a Rolex. Got a lot of compliments too. More than any Rolex I’ve ever had. Any time I’ve worn a Moonswatch in a Rolex botique they always check it out and comment. It’s funny. Point is for me that I still love Rolex watches, appreciate their design and craftsmanship, but still don’t like the hype, or the scarcity to buy. Their retail price point is relatively low in the grand scheme of horology. Also, the uncertainty to wear one in a place other than Vegas or another “safe” city is a downside. Highlight of my watch hunt in Vegas was going into the Analog/Shift room in the Watches of Switzerland at the Wynn. It’s in the back of the store, and while there were multiple tourists browsing and asking questions about pre-owed Rolex in the room next to me, I was the only person trying on a Vacheron 222, Urwerk UR-100, FP Journe Octa Lune, and various other rare pieces. I even had to educate the SA on these wathces since they had never really heard of them, and explain why they are so special. It was my last stop and a real treat after a days worth of Rolex exhibitions.
Peej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 03:04 AM   #64
TheVision
"TRF" Member

Wait till ya go to Bali.

I was in Bali for 2 weeks back in July and the amount of Rolex'es I saw was shocking. BUT I also suspect a lot of fakes as Singapore/Hong Kong is the hub for replicas.

I mean I saw my resort staff wearing 2 tone DJ, GMT etc ;). We had hired a driver to take us around the island and even he was wearing a Gucci hat and matching Gucci sneakers !!

I had taken my Panerai cos I thought my sub date would be noticed but in reality, my sub date would have just "blended" in with the crowd!!

And yeah, I goto Vegas every year (I live in CA and like $80 round trip flight to Vegas!) and I wear my sub. Too many luxury pieces (but fakes as well) in luxury destinations.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 03:04 AM   #65
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
I found Las Vegas disgusting for many reasons.
dP
Same here, that and Disney World are about the last places I would choose to go on vacation.
Old 30 August 2024, 03:11 AM   #66
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Out of curiosity, how many YM did you see?
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 03:18 AM   #67
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMP mast
Just got back from Maldives and didn’t see a single Rolex in two weeks. Not one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 03:31 AM   #68
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Its become a must have accessory due to instagram. In Vancouver I've heard dozens say.. I got my Rolex.... they dont care what it is they have to have one... its the new standard... Im guilty of it.. just bought my GF a Green Dial DJ.... it is the new fitiing in watch. I love my YM42 despite not being a hype piece... granted helps having a few AP and PP at home in the safe

these days being exclusive is
A very expensive - compared to a few years ago
B dangerous in most places
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 03:35 AM   #69
Moving Chicane
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM233 Dot Dial
The growing wealth disparity is what you witnessed (old luxury is today's baseline). Rolex and Porsche and Apple are masters of marketing their products, once thought to be for niche and luxury buyers only, to all people with the means (or the credit cards) relying on the glory of past times. Rolex is the new Casio.
Moving Chicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 03:44 AM   #70
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Why did you feel so intensely about seeing so many other Rolexes? Did you think it was special and unique?
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 04:11 AM   #71
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
You go to a city that thrives on excess and you are surprised you see so many Rolex watches? LOL!

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 04:12 AM   #72
JenaG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
This is TRF, I've been on this forum a while, I've owned basically every Rolex sports model at one point or another, my first "grail" was a Sub, I still own a Sub. Rolex has been my favorite brand since I seriously got into watches.

But I just had to vent that this past weekend was probably the first time I got seriously turned off by the brand.

Took a weekend trip to Vegas, first time in over 5 years I've gone during the summer. Everyone is wearing short sleeves, tons of watches. And my goodness. I am not exaggerating these numbers. At least 20 Rolex for any other brand of watch (including Apple Watches). I even played a game where I sat down and watched people pass by me and counted how many consecutive people were wearing a Rolex (it was 6).

I think I saw literally every single model.

I'm not one of those ironic non-conformist people. I still love Rolex. But man, I came away with just a newfound appreciation for non-Rolex watches if for no other reason than how rare they are. The only multiples I saw of the same non-Rolex luxury watch that I recall were from 3 brands. AP (RO), Patek (Nautilus), and Omega (Seamaster and Speedmaster). And overall I still saw very few of these compared to Rolex.

I personally wore my new Tudor BB58 GMT. And I'll be honest, in the past when I've taken trips like this and wasn't wearing a Rolex and saw some in the wild, I'd kind of miss my own and wish I wore it. Completely opposite experience this time. And ironically I got more compliments on the Tudor than I ever have in Vegas or elsewhere wearing a Rolex, so go figure.

In terms of the Rolex world, the only model I don't think I saw a single time was the Explorer I. And while I did see a small number of 16570s, I did not see a single 6-digit Exp II. So in terms of a modern Rolex that has all the goods but would be quite rare to see out in the wild, I've started really yearning for a white dial 226570.

But overall, I think I'm really going to start focusing my attention on non-Rolex going forward.
JenaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 04:19 AM   #73
WRjr
Banned

Rolex on you = cool

Rolex on others = nauseating

Got it
WRjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 04:25 AM   #74
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRjr View Post
Rolex on you = cool

Rolex on others = nauseating

Got it
Old 30 August 2024, 04:36 AM   #75
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
Out of curiosity, how many YM did you see?

Probably ZERO since Vegas is pretty far from a sea or an ocean.

bibbi
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 04:59 AM   #76
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

So according to your logic if I drive a BMW and go to Germany, I should be disgusted of my car because everybody and their mothers are driving BMWs there? :D

I can see SS Sub Date being boring over time because it is an ultimate mass produced Rolex, but even then there are plenty of options to choose from, that will be more special.

To me Rolex is a luxury watch you can buy cheap because similar quality of watch from AP or PP will cost you 2x-3x if not more. I do own Omega Speedy and love it, but sometimes it feels a bit like a toy compared to the refinement of Rolexes. Same for many other brands too in the same price category.

Now when you go for AP RO (not offshore or code 11.59), Some VC (very few actually), PP, Lange and FP Journe, those timepieces can impress beyond Rolexes, but again they cost 2-3x.
Sergio_UKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 05:35 AM   #77
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

A few suggestions, most you virtually never see in the wild....

neco-watches.jpg

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 05:37 AM   #78
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Chicane View Post
The growing wealth disparity is what you witnessed (old luxury is today's baseline). Rolex and Porsche and Apple are masters of marketing their products, once thought to be for niche and luxury buyers only, to all people with the means (or the credit cards) relying on the glory of past times. Rolex is the new Casio.

Social media and access to credit definitely fueled the hypes that didnt exist in the past.
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 05:41 AM   #79
VictorGMT
"TRF" Member

Hmmm. My annual trip is in two weeks, I'll look.

Maybe I hang in the wrong place (Wynn Tower Suites pool or Crockfords pool), but what I observe is:

#1 - No watch
#2 - Apple Watch
#3 - Unidentifiable $500 watch
Then Rolex, Omega, all the others.

No watch or Apple Watch seem to be 50%+.

Way down from there.
VictorGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 05:57 AM   #80
Vanyo
"TRF" Member

I travel to Dubai one - two times per year and usually stay at Al Qasr, one of Jumeirah chain hotels. This is the same chain which owns famous Burj Al Arab. During the breakfast at Al Qasr in the peak season, guest commonly wear:

- 80% Rolex;
- 10% AP;
- 10% other brands including PP, RM, etc.

I’m just enjoying the show and wrist spotting. Ho hard feelings about it.
From the distance, RM looks like a toy or a smart watch. This is completely different to how these watches are considered in the boutique.
Vanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 06:30 AM   #81
Car32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio_UKR View Post
So according to your logic if I drive a BMW and go to Germany, I should be disgusted of my car because everybody and their mothers are driving BMWs there? :D

I can see SS Sub Date being boring over time because it is an ultimate mass produced Rolex, but even then there are plenty of options to choose from, that will be more special.

To me Rolex is a luxury watch you can buy cheap because similar quality of watch from AP or PP will cost you 2x-3x if not more. I do own Omega Speedy and love it, but sometimes it feels a bit like a toy compared to the refinement of Rolexes. Same for many other brands too in the same price category.

Now when you go for AP RO (not offshore or code 11.59), Some VC (very few actually), PP, Lange and FP Journe, those timepieces can impress beyond Rolexes, but again they cost 2-3x.
This reminds me of thinking how North American Mercedes owners might feel when they travel to parts of the world where every the delivery trucks and vans are all Mercedes
Car32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 06:32 AM   #82
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Ive never understood why this bothers people.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 06:47 AM   #83
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Rolex hates you too.
Who gives crap about what others wear...
jinikari01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 02:34 PM   #84
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

“I’m not one of those ironic, non-conformist people. But I took time out of my vacation to sit down and observe every person to see the watches they were wearing and I now plan to seek out the watches I saw the least.”
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 03:32 PM   #85
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I’m here in Vegas this very moment, and flew in from LA earlier today. Just on the flight here I saw a ton of different Rolex watches. It’s definitely good watch spotting here.

I don’t think that’s any reason to get disgusted with the brand. It’s a holiday weekend, and the women here have fancy designer purses etc. There are a ton of high end shops here at the Wynn and elsewhere.

As much as we WIS try to pretend otherwise, Rolex is an extraordinarily recognizable luxury watch brand. The models are also instantly recognizable. Lots of people come here to dress up and show off. There is nothing subtle about Vegas. My room overlooks the new Sphere at the Wynn. This place is 100% geared towards adult entertainment of every type. It’s a break from the “real world,” where adults get dressed up to “go play.”
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 09:09 PM   #86
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Yeah everyone has one. BMW of Watches.

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 10:18 PM   #87
Vanyo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
Just got back from Maldives and didn’t see a single Rolex in two weeks. Not one.

I’m on Mauritius right now and spotted so far:

1. Sun Dust full RG Daytona;
2. Pre-ceramic SS Daytona;
3. YG Daytona;
4. WG Yachtmaster Oysterflex;
5. A number of TT LDJ;
6. SS LDJ punk dial.

When I was on Maldives, I was wearing 116610LN Sub which appeared to be more water resistent than my GoPro which died during snorkeling.
Vanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 10:42 PM   #88
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
Lot's of LA folks in Vegas that want to be seen in a Rolex. Most probably go to the store for a replacement battery when it stops.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 11:05 PM   #89
MDR143
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Lot's of LA folks in Vegas that want to be seen in a Rolex. Most probably go to the store for a replacement battery when it stops.
Maybe not all have the batteries, but you have to wonder how many fake Rolex are out there… especially in Vegas.

The clones apparently are almost impossible to tell apart, and cost a few hundred dollars instead of $10k.
MDR143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 11:31 PM   #90
worldfamoussam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II
If THAT is the thing that disgusted you about Vegas, I don't know what to tell you ...