The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 28 August 2024, 12:58 PM   #31
Gelateria
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante24 View Post
That’s an amazing deal to say the least in this current Patek market. Haha.

You mentioned the 5712 is impossible. Have you asked your AD what it would take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My ad flat out refuses to discuss a 'roadmap', he only mentioned the next watch I buy should be a precious metal complication dress watch, so imagine the likes of 5205. I think like the others have mentioned, we'll probably need a ppc dress watch to qualify for a 5712a...
Gelateria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2024, 05:49 PM   #32
ts3
"TRF" Member

This sounds like the "journey" people regularly write about on the AP forum. Not a "family" I have joined for exactly that reason.

A little more than 5 years ago it would have been crazy from an AD to suggest you have to buy this and this and that to become eligible for a Nautilus. Those days may or may not return but the current trend is clear. I would be patient and see where we are in a year or two - or go preowned.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 12:36 AM   #33
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
A little more than 5 years ago it would have been crazy from an AD to suggest you have to buy this and this and that to become eligible for a Nautilus. Those days may or may not return but the current trend is clear. I would be patient and see where we are in a year or two - or go preowned.
Man those were the good old days. Folks have short memories - what’s happened the past 4 yearly is an anomaly. Time will tell what the future holds, but I doubt it looks like the present state of affairs.
Old 29 August 2024, 01:59 AM   #34
MikeT
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Also, does anyone want to post any wrist shots of their 5712 or 5167 please? This thread is lacking some eye candy. Haha.

MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 04:44 AM   #35
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

I would never agree to buy watches that I dont want in order to get one that I actually want.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 12:02 PM   #36
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
I would never agree to buy watches that I dont want in order to get one that I actually want.

I agree to a certain extent. It’s honestly kind of nice to know the price to pay and have a little guidance from the AD. Now would I purchase an annual or perpetual calendar just to get the piece I want….no. Now if I was interested in one and they said it would lead to what I want next…yes sir. Haha.

Vigilante24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 12:03 PM   #37
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post

Beautiful! Do you wear it strictly on bracelet?

Old 29 August 2024, 04:07 PM   #38
MikeT

Quote:
Beautiful! Do you wear it strictly on bracelet?

Prefer the steel bracelet, but I did buy the rubber watchband and buckle
From AD.

MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 11:09 PM   #39
CarForHire
"TRF" Member

I heard that when the rubber strap is put on the bracelet version, there’s a small gap. Is that on the underside?
CarForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 11:26 PM   #40
johnsonsxusfrt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
This sounds like the "journey" people regularly write about on the AP forum. Not a "family" I have joined for exactly that reason.

In my experience AP House has been amazing and delivered on very special pieces for me over the years. "The Journey" you referenced has been honest and the key has been to only buy pieces you actually love.

I think with Patek you have to find an honest AD that will be transparent and actually keep their license long enough so you get all the pieces you want. The issue for me, and why I haven't gone deep on the Patek journey, is that I just don't like enough of their models to warrant the spend history. Going grey makes more sense if all you want is 1 or 2 pieces.
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 11:31 PM   #41
johnsonsxusfrt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Man those were the good old days. Folks have short memories - what’s happened the past 4 yearly is an anomaly. Time will tell what the future holds, but I doubt it looks like the present state of affairs.
Agree, secondary prices continue to drop and the majority of Pateks, sans Aquanaut and Nautilus models, are selling well below retail especially the complications. Buying a $170K complication that sells for $120K in the secondary market, just to get a 5712 ends up being a wash.

IMO once we get a nice recession in 2025 or 2026, the market will reset. We may not go back to 2015 when you could walk in and buy a Nautilus straight up, but I think access will significantly improve.
Old 29 August 2024, 11:42 PM   #42
Gelateria
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonsxusfrt View Post
In my experience AP House has been amazing and delivered on very special pieces for me over the years. "The Journey" you referenced has been honest and the key has been to only buy pieces you actually love.

I think with Patek you have to find an honest AD that will be transparent and actually keep their license long enough so you get all the pieces you want. The issue for me, and why I haven't gone deep on the Patek journey, is that I just don't like enough of their models to warrant the spend history. Going grey makes more sense if all you want is 1 or 2 pieces.
If you love code, then sure... 😂
Gelateria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 11:55 PM   #43
johnsonsxusfrt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelateria View Post
If you love code, then sure... 😂
I like the code but never bought one
Old 30 August 2024, 06:02 AM   #44
bogdoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelateria View Post
Ha! I wish I have the 5712. I never asked coz I had no chance. As for the 5167a, I got it after around 2 years wait after getting the 6119
You definitely have no chance if you won’t ask for it. You deserve it based on your history.
bogdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 06:34 AM   #45
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
My AD (that has never sold me anything and probably never will) told me last week that a 5712a is far harder to get than a 5167a. They said a 5168g was a lot more realistic.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 08:38 AM   #46
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
My AD (that has never sold me anything and probably never will) told me last week that a 5712a is far harder to get than a 5167a. They said a 5168g was a lot more realistic.

Thanks for the insight. You have never done any business with them or they have never sold you a Patek?

Old 30 August 2024, 08:40 AM   #47
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. You have never done any business with them or they have never sold you a Patek?

I’ve done business with another location that doesn’t sell Patek. All I’ve bought from that store is some Mont Blanc ink.
No Patek.
Old 30 August 2024, 02:07 PM   #48
temporaltactix
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
Makes you wonder, who's getting these pieces if you're not?
temporaltactix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 05:23 PM   #49
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaltactix View Post
Makes you wonder, who's getting these pieces if you're not?
The people who have a better “relationship,” AKA those with a greater spend history (especially of less desirable Patek models) with that store.

My SA repeatedly was trying to tell me it’s not pay-to-play, but also said my wait time would be markedly improved if I got at least a Calatrava or the diamond encrusted world time that’s available.

As politely as I could, I basically told him he’s talking out of both sides of his mouth.
Old 2 September 2024, 03:09 AM   #50
shaunnnn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Also, does anyone want to post any wrist shots of their 5712 or 5167 please? This thread is lacking some eye candy. Haha.
Walked into AD, asked for my 1st choice of 5711 blue, no stock. Instead offered a 5712, tried it, case profile was still elegant like the 5711. Considered for a moment, asked for a discount to sweeten the deal, declined by AD, but still bought it anyway (fortunately). This was back in 2015. And here we are in 2024.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_7967.jpeg (276.9 KB, 230 views)
shaunnnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 03:17 AM   #51
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunnnn View Post
Walked into AD, asked for my 1st choice of 5711 blue, no stock. Instead offered a 5712, tried it, case profile was still elegant like the 5711. Considered for a moment, asked for a discount to sweeten the deal, declined by AD, but still bought it anyway (fortunately). This was back in 2015. And here we are in 2024.
Beautiful piece. I remember a lot of chatter for years on the watch forums from collectors who hated the asymmetry of the dial and the thinness of the case. They considered the AP Jumbo and 5712 too dainty for daily wear.
Old 2 September 2024, 08:02 AM   #52
hypernova
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:

🫡

hypernova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 08:20 AM   #53
Phrank

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Yes, back in the day where if you wanted a Perpetual, Annual or another complication they made you buy an Acquanaut or Nautilus, when as one dealer told me recently, she said, "they couldn't give them away then, no-one wanted them."
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 10:51 AM   #54
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
Yes, back in the day where if you wanted a Perpetual, Annual or another complication they made you buy an Acquanaut or Nautilus, when as one dealer told me recently, she said, "they couldn't give them away then, no-one wanted them."
Perception is reality... funny how it is the full opposite now, can't believe I declined to buy 5164a multiple times in 2018 seeing them in the display cases and fully available
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 03:15 PM   #55
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypernova View Post

🫡

Okay we see you hypernova….haha. Beautiful watch and amazing photo. Do you mind sharing how you acquired it?

Old 3 September 2024, 04:54 AM   #56
temporaltactix
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Just wondering everyone's experience, purchase history, and relationship in obtaining the 5712/1a Nautilus.

My AD has mentioned about 2 year wait for a 5167a Aquanaut with a purchase history of $175k in multiple Rolex, Tudor, and one Patek Calatrava over the past 3 years. I have yet to ask about the 5712 but now wondering if I should pivot to asking for that instead.

Hoping to get more insight if you have purchased within the past 4 years. Is it harder to get than the 5167a? What was your purchase history and area you live? Thank you!
Really hard to determine if the AD is being truthful. I think it depends on how well they like you. If you times how many ADs across the country put people on waitlists then they can't be doing very much volume. They're selling watches just not to you
Old 3 September 2024, 04:56 AM   #57
temporaltactix
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Beautiful piece my favorite ref from PP