The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 September 2024, 01:42 AM   #1
alignyc
"TRF" Member

Precious Metal Decision:

The grail is a Day Date and shame on me for waiting so long to go for one (I felt i was too young for the all PM flash).

I have been targeting Rose Gold with Olive Dial and the prices have gone down but recently I found that for the same price or 3k more I could have the 40mm Day Date in Platinum (not Day Date 2 at 41mm).

Fluted bezel vs. smooth. Sunburst dial with Roman numerals vs. Motif dial with indexed markers.

I'm not a fan of the platinum for smooth bezel and motif dial but i do prefer lumed indexes over roman numerals. But it's not enough to swing me.

So the question to the experts would be along the lines of: if the platinum so awesome that I should look to target that model instead of the rose gold?

(the brand new models have the fluted bezel, roman/sunburs dials - this would be a 2021 for significantly less $ obv).

Thank you.
alignyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 02:32 AM   #2
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

Just get the RG DD40 with Olive green dial. Such a classy watch and RG will give you more joy than platinum since platinum looks like SS you already enjoyed over the years.
Sergio_UKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 02:55 AM   #3
CAN_VAN7
"TRF" Member

Maybe WG with Olive dial
CAN_VAN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 03:36 AM   #4
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

I'd go with the RG olive the only way I'd go platinum is with fluted bezel and ice blue baguette dial
BriansRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 03:56 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome aboard.

Buy the one you truly want is my advice. Especially at this price point, why compromise
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 05:30 AM   #6
spellmanski
"TRF" Member

it probably depends on a) your personality - do you want a "loud" watch, and b) your skin tone. I personally would go with WG olive...
spellmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 05:49 AM   #7
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Like others said, buy the one that speaks out the most to you.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 05:55 AM   #8
APhound
"TRF" Member

I have both the platinum and rose gold/ olive dd 40s. I don’t know what to tell you!! They’re both awesome and you won’t be disappointed in either. If you get the platinum you’ll prob never think about the rose gold one. I don’t know how you pick. I love wearing the rose gold full bracelet watch, it looks really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 07:13 AM   #9
ts3
"TRF" Member

Personally I would go platinum motif dial among the two. I don't mind the smooth bezel and like the stick markers with lume whereas the olive dial with roman markers is not for me. My main concerns are (1) I might get tired of the platinum motif dial rather quickly and (2) there are lots of alternatives from other brands in that price range. But the platinum motif dial DD keeps coming back to me. I like rather simple watches and it is one of few ways to end up with a full platinum bracelet watch short of sth like a 5711/1P.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 07:23 AM   #10
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

sounds like you've wanted the rg olive, why switch to something you don't like because it's similarly priced?
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 12:56 PM   #11
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Personally I would go platinum motif dial among the two. I don't mind the smooth bezel and like the stick markers with lume whereas the olive dial with roman markers is not for me. My main concerns are (1) I might get tired of the platinum motif dial rather quickly and (2) there are lots of alternatives from other brands in that price range. But the platinum motif dial DD keeps coming back to me. I like rather simple watches and it is one of few ways to end up with a full platinum bracelet watch short of sth like a 5711/1P.
I'm in this camp. I like Pt and like simple, lumed, stick indices. Pt has a number in interesting metallurgical properties. It is almost completely non-reactive and more durable than gold (being both harder and so dense it doesn't lose metal when scratched). Gold is almost non-reactive in it's native state but not so in it's alloyed state. I might be blowing smoke up my own ass but I think Pt looks distinctly different than white gold or SS.

The downside of Pt is the weight, particularly with DD and the somewhat limited adjustment options. We are talking about a watch that weights almost 10oz. Definitely try one on first.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 10:14 PM   #12
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am not a fan of RG even though I have owned several over the years in an attempt to see if it would work. The RG metal does not match my skin tone and I match my accessories, belt buckle/eyeglass frames/cufflinks, you get the picture. RG also trends at times and when it is popular you will pay more for it and when it is not you will lose more on a sale or a trade. I would look at the WG DD with the olive dial as I always thought it was a good example of low key luxury. I have owned several Platinum DD II's over the years and always liked them but think the cost does not match up with my enjoyment in the end. YG or WG would be where I would go. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 10:27 PM   #13
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

I went with RG Olive.

It ticked all my boxes. I love the platinum smooth bezel with baguettes, but it would be my second choice, as my first DD I wanted coloured either yellow or rose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ozwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 11:43 PM   #14
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post

The downside of Pt is the weight, particularly with DD and the somewhat limited adjustment options. We are talking about a watch that weights almost 10oz. Definitely try one on first.
My feelings as well. If you get into the platinum and need a 1 1/4 link, well that's gonna cost you an arm and a leg. And should you need two...yikes.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote