The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 September 2024, 10:12 PM   #1
GarageBMW
"TRF" Member

Watch: the step
126519 OF Daytona Owners / Taught process

Hi fellow members

For the past year or so, I have been contemplating the OF Daytona. Initially when it was released, I couldn't wrap my head around the idea of gold and rubber band.

As time passed, I got more and more interested in the OF Daytona. Then they updated the 116519 to 126519 and to me, personally, I find the 126519 perfect in every aspect, especially with the ghost dial.

From an owners perspective, what made you select OF over solid bracelet / steel counterpart and how has been your journey adapting with OF. I introduce steel in the equation as both are basically the same price. I can get the OF from my AD but the 126500 would have to go grey.

Anybody having both 126500 and 126519 in their collection, please share your experience ;)

Thanks everyone.
GarageBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2024, 11:31 PM   #2
www777
"TRF" Member

I have a ghost on OF. The ceramic bezel and glide lock won me over. The glide lock is a game changer.
www777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 12:23 AM   #3
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Personally I think a gold piece is way more special than the stainless daytona, granted I understand the ss daytona is much harder to get at retail. The choice of having a gold Daytona at retail vs ss daytona secondary same price - no brainer I’ll take the gold piece.

A few things guiding my decision -

1. I wanted a ceramic bezel. Rolex doesn’t make gold pieces with ceramic bezels (unless it’s the platinum or lemans).

2. OF is super comfortable and makes the watch very wearable in a lot of situations.

3. OF Daytona come in a number of really nice configurations. There’s a version that is for everyone

4. This is less of a reason in the beginning, but as I’ve started to wear gold more I appreciate the heft on my wrist with the balanced OF bracelet. Bonus fact that (as least to my knowledge) there aren’t any fake gold watches out there. They just can’t easily replicate the weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4149.jpeg (150.4 KB, 1048 views)
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 01:52 AM   #4
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

Several factors here sorted by priority:

1. Ceramic bezel (Hate scratches on the bezel)
2. Glidelock on OF (Very useful in summer ensuring the perfect fit)
3. Price difference between full gold bracelet and OF
4. Weight and comfort of OF (I find full gold watches too heavy and OF way more comfortable than full PM).
5. Variety (all my other watches are on the bracelet, albeit a SS one).
6. Don’t like going grey for watches. Both PM OF Daytona’s I got were from AD.

If choosing to pay 30-32k grey for steel version or 36k for PM OF at AD (maybe less based on your state sales tax), I would choose PM every day and twice on Sunday. Watch feels extremely special compared to SS version.

OF doesn’t feel cheap and actually gives the watch a nice contrast, matching black subdials and ceramic bezel (I strongly recommend going black subdials vs black dial).

As for the choice of PM, it all depends on how often you going to wear it and on your skin tone (for the choice of YG vs RG).

If you are planning to wear it daily, go for the Ghost. It is rather stealthy and can look like a SS watch for an untrained eye.

If you want something more flashy, go for the YG/RG. That is where I landed after comparing Ghost and RG Sundust dial.

Oh and don’t forget to check the watch in person. It has rather poor dial legibility. If it is a dealbreaker for you, might be worth considering something else as I found PM OF Daytonal relatively hard to read. The thing for me tho is that when you look at it you forget about the time :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sergio_UKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 01:58 AM   #5
StylinProfilin
2024 Pledge Member

I was once in the camp that declared the SS Daytona as king but when I started understanding and wearing the OF PM pieces, I knew that this was for me. I would take any of the OF pieces over any of the SS Daytonas any day of the week. The weight distribution is perfect. The watch feels incredible on the wrist. The fact that it's PM automatically makes it higher caliber over stainless steel.

The OF is the sweet spot of the Daytona catalogue. I prefer them to even the full PM pieces. The only piece that I place above the OF models is the platinum daytona.
StylinProfilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 02:57 AM   #6
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinProfilin View Post
I was once in the camp that declared the SS Daytona as king but when I started understanding and wearing the OF PM pieces, I knew that this was for me. I would take any of the OF pieces over any of the SS Daytonas any day of the week. The weight distribution is perfect. The watch feels incredible on the wrist. The fact that it's PM automatically makes it higher caliber over stainless steel.

The OF is the sweet spot of the Daytona catalogue. I prefer them to even the full PM pieces. The only piece that I place above the OF models is the platinum daytona.
This is the way! The black oysterflex compliments the black bezel and ties it all together in a sporty look. For dress up, the metal bracelet is nicer but for everyday wearing oysterflex is very low key.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 03:06 AM   #7
StylinProfilin
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
This is the way! The black oysterflex compliments the black bezel and ties it all together in a sporty look. For dress up, the metal bracelet is nicer but for everyday wearing oysterflex is very low key.
Couldn't agree more

free mp3 hosting
StylinProfilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 06:43 AM   #8
GarageBMW
"TRF" Member

Watch: the step
Thank you everyone that shared their taught process and the appreciation of the reference.

I have asked my AD to show me the YG and WG versions. At the moment I like both the ghost in WG version and the ( Paul Newman ) dial in Yellow gold.

I have an SD4K (116600) and a 126710BLNR on Jubilee in the collection, the Daytona would not be a daily but something in rotation among the others, but a special piece considering it is WG.
GarageBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 10:40 AM   #9
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Personally, I like the Daytona with black bezel more than metal bezel. 4 digit and 6 digit. Even though original Paul Newman is with metal bezel.

I was able to get over it because I also saw auction results with no bracelet was also unaffordable high.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 02:40 PM   #10
daveeblows
"TRF" Member

Watch: COOKIE MONSTER
Can't deny, WG Oysterflex feels waaaay different on the wrist, after few months of wearing only two OF watches, I have no urge to wear any bracelet ever again LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daveeblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 04:18 PM   #11
Joearch
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Tough to beat Daytona WG Oysterflex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4050.jpeg (137.2 KB, 869 views)
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 11:51 PM   #12
karva
"TRF" Member

I have a 116515 with chocolate dial, and I love it.
I wanted a ceramic bezel, and a gold bracelet would have been too much of a statement, as I wanted RG.
Glidelock would be a plus.
Most beautiful watch I've ever had, and I've had a few !
Old 9 September 2024, 12:06 AM   #13
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Most have already captured my reasons. Ceramic vs. gold bezel being number one. The ceramic bezel just looks awesome on this watch and the gold bezel is a scratch magnet, not to mention the PCL's. I had a TT Daytona before buying my PM Daytona and I just can't stand how easy it was to scratch the bezel. And the contrast between the OF band and bezel really works well together.

Prior to getting my PM Daytona I had always wanted a SS panda Daytona. It was my grail. But since I purchased my PM Daytona I no longer want the SS version as this watch is just that good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6140.1.jpg (247.6 KB, 818 views)
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 12:42 AM   #14
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Prior to getting my PM Daytona I had always wanted a SS panda Daytona. It was my grail. But since I purchased my PM Daytona I no longer want the SS version as this watch is just that good.
That is one beautiful watch and much more a panda compared to the one which most people call a panda.
Arguably the best in the OF line up
Old 9 September 2024, 08:01 AM   #15
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
That is one beautiful watch and much more a panda compared to the one which most people call a panda.
Arguably the best in the OF line up
Thanks! And I agree.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 10:19 AM   #16
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

I'd agree with most of the positive responses above.

I went this route for a number of reasons. Firstly variety because all of my other Rolex's are on a bracelet.

Secondly I just liked the look and I suppose I also like the juxtaposition of having something exclusive/expensive mounted on rubber. I think it was amazingly Hublot who first had the hi-lo concept.

The OF is amazingly comfortable and adjustable too.

To me it's a luxurious but yet sporty combination. I wear mine in the office, at the gym, down the pub and in a fancy restaurant. It's at home everywhere. If I want to feel a step up from that I bust out my DD.

I also love the rose gold yachtmaster on OF for the very same reasons.
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 11:33 AM   #17
kvossoughi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5960g
I have the old ghost model. Ultimate go anywhere do anything watch.
kvossoughi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 03:03 PM   #18
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I was all SS Rolex until I got the rose gold yachtmaster 40 on oysterflex and that changed my perspective on everything. Now I recently purchased the 126519 the Daytona white gold with the brilliant black dial and is one of my favorite watches. Dun think I can really be satisfied with an SS Daytona anymore.

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 08:15 PM   #19
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
I own the current 126519 "Ghost" OF Daytona, and the old 116500 in Blk. As others have already said, the PM it is a stunning watch. What made me choose the WG was its sheer versatility. I don't like using the word 'investment', but as a long term watch, your $ is safe. The precious metal is supremely well finished, and if it can be had a MSRP from an AD and you have the means, it is an obvious choice to go for it.

The stainless steel is utterly brilliant, no question about it. However...as others have alluded to, if I had to pay $40k for a WG on OF, versus $30-$35k for stainless steel, I'd choose the white gold every single time. If you can get an S/S at retail, you'd be bonkers to turn it down. However, comparing the precious metal to the s/s is not an entirely apples for apples comparison IMHO.
Mr. Superlative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 08:17 PM   #20
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
Personally I think a gold piece is way more special than the stainless daytona, granted I understand the ss daytona is much harder to get at retail. The choice of having a gold Daytona at retail vs ss daytona secondary same price - no brainer I’ll take the gold piece.

1. I wanted a ceramic bezel. Rolex doesn’t make gold pieces with ceramic bezels (unless it’s the platinum or lemans).

2. OF is super comfortable and makes the watch very wearable in a lot of situations.

3. OF Daytona come in a number of really nice configurations. There’s a version that is for everyone

4. This is less of a reason in the beginning, but as I’ve started to wear gold more I appreciate the heft on my wrist with the balanced OF bracelet. Bonus fact that (as least to my knowledge) there aren’t any fake gold watches out there. They just can’t easily replicate the weight.
Well said. And a brilliant photo!
Mr. Superlative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 10:07 PM   #21
TNG
"TRF" Member

I also own the new ghost. Full PM is not my cup of tea, but the white gold with rubber band was something i would wear daily. So bought one, no looking back and i absolutely love it. This get's the most wrist time of all my watches. The glidelock is the big game changer against the previous model.
TNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 10:45 PM   #22
Straphanger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126500LN
I own the 116500 panda, 126500 panda and 126519 ghost love every which one , love the way they wear and look ,but end up wearing my sub because I cannot see the time on those Daytona dials ? May be I need a black dial and a new pair of glasses !!
Straphanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 12:30 AM   #23
gt0279a
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Personally, I prefer the asymmetrical case of the 116500. The OF is a great strap, getting the proper size is key. For the stainless steel, you hardly feel like you a wearing a watch at all as the OF is light and comfortable.

Rolex Sea Dweller 126600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 16600 | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex Submariner 1680
gt0279a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 12:42 AM   #24
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post

1 - There is the daytona with black ceramic bezel, white subdials on the gold bracelet (not the lemans)

4 - there are definitely fakes out there of these, but definitely not made of gold!

Beautiful watch, though - I love the meteorite daytona!
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 02:58 AM   #25
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
1 - There is the daytona with black ceramic bezel, white subdials on the gold bracelet (not the lemans)

4 - there are definitely fakes out there of these, but definitely not made of gold!

Beautiful watch, though - I love the meteorite daytona!
My mistake on point 1 - that's not right!
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 03:09 AM   #26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt0279a View Post
Personally, I prefer the asymmetrical case of the 116500. The OF is a great strap, getting the proper size is key. For the stainless steel, you hardly feel like you a wearing a watch at all as the OF is light and comfortable.

How did you get the OF strap for an SS?
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 03:34 AM   #27
Actor07

Watch: Rolex 126519
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinprofilin View Post
couldn't agree more

free mp3 hosting
+1
Actor07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 04:43 PM   #28
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageBMW View Post
Hi fellow members

For the past year or so, I have been contemplating the OF Daytona. Initially when it was released, I couldn't wrap my head around the idea of gold and rubber band.

As time passed, I got more and more interested in the OF Daytona. Then they updated the 116519 to 126519 and to me, personally, I find the 126519 perfect in every aspect, especially with the ghost dial.

From an owners perspective, what made you select OF over solid bracelet / steel counterpart and how has been your journey adapting with OF. I introduce steel in the equation as both are basically the same price. I can get the OF from my AD but the 126500 would have to go grey.

Anybody having both 126500 and 126519 in their collection, please share your experience ;)

Thanks everyone.
No one ever complained about the gold Daytonas on the alligator straps being "far too expensive for a watch with a leather strap".

Some folk just have an issue because its rubber and not leather, as it used to be both pre and post ceramic bezels.

I had one of the original PM Daytonas on a strap with ceramic when they came out in 2013 or thereabouts. RG with chocolate arabic dial.

Beautiful watch, extremely comfortable.

First thing I did was put it on a Rubber B strap so I could get it wet.

I'd have PM on Oysterflex all day every day before going grey for SS at the same price.

I'm fortunate now to own a full gold Daytona, but I didn't chose that over Oysterflex. I just wanted one on a bracelet this time and it was never intended as a daily wearer. Yes, the PM bezel is a nightmare to maintain if worn regularly as its design somehow magnifies the impact of any scratches, scuffs etc on the aesthetics when reading the time, to the point you really have to consider it a service item.

A full PM daytona looks fantastic if well cared for. But they can look terrible with a worn or badly polished bezel. The OF models are so much better in that respect.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 09:36 PM   #29
Seo
"TRF" Member

I have a reverse panda,

Reasons

1. More comfortable than the full bracelet
2. Ceramic bezel
3. More low key
4. Glidelock
5. Looks different from my SS watches which are bracelet.
Seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 01:39 AM   #30
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I wanted a PM Daytona but didn’t want a full YG piece and I wanted the ceramic bezel. I have an SS Daytona on bracelet so the WG seemed too similar. The YG on OF is a perfect balance for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6516.jpeg (162.9 KB, 280 views)
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote