The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 September 2024, 05:12 AM   #31
mpkRolex
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Pepsi & Starbucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexdream View Post
Hi

I got the call for the Root beer which i had been on the list for 2 years, but unsure if its worth the £14.7k outlay, i still love the watch and want a GMT for the collection and have the cash but starting to doubt if it’s a lot to pay for a watch and if that cash would be better invested where i can earn returns…

I have subs and DJ and other watches like Omega, Tudor and GS. The grey market is paying £13.8k and so you can buy on the watch around retail price at greys, so wondering if theres any value in buying from an AD right now or wait? I have no reason to build an AD relationship…

How do people make this decision? Equally im thinking it will always keep value and is a way to diversify assets?
When in doubt don't buy that is the rule I follow. It saves me the remorse later on. But I dig the root beer and would buy it myself in a heart beat.

"Rolex is highly addictive. Please shop responsibly"
mpkRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 05:16 AM   #32
mpkRolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The CHNR is a great investment in style and enjoyment. It will yield years of pleasure. Make that investment in your self to up your personal style net worth.

That is a stunner

Old 8 September 2024, 05:41 AM   #33
daysky1
"TRF" Member

Correct. But I wonder if your name gets electronically attached somehow they do a lot of things through that media nowadays at the ad
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 05:52 AM   #34
saltyandwet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
As has been said often, watches are poor investments and you’re always better off putting your money into other investments. I only buy watches (or any other hobbies) if I won’t miss the funds. If you like the watch and can afford it then get it.
Even though the rule of thumb is not to buy watches purely as an investment, no one wants to buy something to lose value, especially when it involves significant, ahem, financial investment.
saltyandwet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 05:56 AM   #35
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If there is a doubt there is no doubt.

The TT CHNR was my first GMT Master. I was very impressed by its colour palette and textural mix, but however much I admired it I failed to fall in love with it. We parted company on good terms, I got more than I paid for it and the watch went to a home that better appreciated it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 06:50 AM   #36
LndLord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As has been said often, watches are poor investments and you’re always better off putting your money into other investments. I only buy watches (or any other hobbies) if I won’t miss the funds. If you like the watch and can afford it then get it.
Yeap we can close the thread now.
LndLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 02:20 PM   #37
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
It looks really good. Wife says it’s the best looking Rolex she’s ever seen in person. She has seen all the hype stainless ones.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 09:45 PM   #38
mpkRolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWoodster View Post
It looks really good. Wife says it’s the best looking Rolex she’s ever seen in person. She has seen all the hype stainless ones.
Why do I remember having the same conversation while looking at the rootbeer and Daytonas in the exhibition case

Old 8 September 2024, 09:59 PM   #39
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
It's not an investment.
If you want and can afford it, then go for it.
If you're going to second guess it, I'd pass.
⬆️⬆️⬆️ This!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 11:27 PM   #40
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysky1 View Post
GMT-Master II

Oyster, 40 mm, Oystersteel and Everose gold

Reference 126711CHNR

$16,700

This is the current listing on the rolex's website i don't know where you're getting your prices from but one of the benefits of buying from an ad is you don't have to be concerned about it being authentic or brand new. Your name will be the one listed on the warranty card the only owner of the watch it will be fully stickered to me these things have some value but you have to choose for you, for me it would be a lifetime purchase even if it wouldn't be considered an investment i wouldn't feel as if I was losing money by purchasing it if I had the extra money to spend and it's something I really wanted it's a no-brainer. But you have to sort through whatever you have to sort through and determine whether it's something you really want to buy.

There hasn’t been names on warranty cards In 4 years and you don’t get them fully stickered either lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 11:34 PM   #41
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi

I got the call for the Root beer which i had been on the list for 2 years, but unsure if its worth the £14.7k outlay, i still love the watch and want a GMT for the collection and have the cash but starting to doubt if it’s a lot to pay for a watch and if that cash would be better invested where i can earn returns…

I have subs and DJ and other watches like Omega, Tudor and GS. The grey market is paying £13.8k and so you can buy on the watch around retail price at greys, so wondering if theres any value in buying from an AD right now or wait? I have no reason to build an AD relationship…

How do people make this decision? Equally im thinking it will always keep value and is a way to diversify assets?
Suddenly since you cant flip it sounds like a lot of money? Then sounds like you prob shouldnt have put the watch on your "wish list" to begin with...
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 11:36 PM   #42
madsitalia
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Exactly
madsitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 11:49 PM   #43
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I don't understand, do you want the watch or not? If your interest is only in return on investment look elsewhere.
Well said, +1 here
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 12:34 AM   #44
ons2101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Many thanks guys, it is spot on only i can decide how much i value the watch versus investing the money elsewhere. I definately love the watch and want a gmt and 2 tone and wasnt for the hype, even if the market was strong id likely still have doubts as its a big chunk of cash. I have never sold a watch despite getting a sub for 5k at rrp which i could have sold.

I will likely buy ..will update

Perhaps the question is

You can agree to pay $5k for a watch, and maybe wouldn’t bat an eye to spend that much money on a watch, but can you swallow to pay $16-18k for a watch?

I remember a time when my first luxury watch was $3k and I thought that $7k for a submariner was outrageous (twice as much money!)

Then a few years later spending $7-8k for a watch.

I get it. I had a bit of hesitancy to buy my first watch that was “five figures”
With the exception of the folks on this forum, that’s a big Chunk of money no matter what.

ons2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 12:50 AM   #45
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
CHNR call

If the rootbeer was trading on the used market like the Daytona is you’d buy the rootbeer without thinking. And that is why the hobby is

Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 01:32 AM   #46
Bambooshoot
"TRF" Member

Why is it on your list if you are unsure about buying it? Sounds like you are contemplating buying it for all the wrong reasons...
Bambooshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 02:40 AM   #47
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
If it’s about making money then I’d invest your money but if it’s about buying another watch and you are going to enjoy ownership then buy the watch. I always think it’s great to look at the things you have collected along the way and what better excuse than looking at a great watch
I agree with this. Don’t look at the watch as an investment. Look at it as something that you will enjoy owning and wearing and passing on to relatives,
That said, it is a Rolex so if you decide to sell it, a Rolex has historically held decent value so you can monetize it, even if it isn’t for a profit

Buy it. Win-Win.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote