The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 7 September 2024, 07:37 AM   #31
Trogster
"TRF" Member

Watch: TMTL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
That's absolutely beautiful and this thread deserves more pictures!

Can you tell us more about how it wears? What are the dimensions like?

Although it’s only been on my wrist for a couple of days, I can confidently make a few observations;

1- The watch is heavy…. The kind of heavy that will likely be exhausting after a full day of use. Plus, it’s rather top heavy. So much so I wear the bracelet a little tighter than I normally would.

2- The size is perfect for me. As a bigger guy, I normally gravitate towards larger watches (40mm+), but I find the 38.6mm diameter of this watch suits me fine. However the watch is thick (13.9mm)…especially for a manual wind. Still fits under a cuff, but a little thinner would have been better.

3- The visibility is great, even for my old eyes. In some lighting conditions the sub-dial hands disappear. At first I thought they were painted black, but it’s just the way they reflect light.

4- The bracelet is well executed and the clasp has an on-the-fly extension…all be it of limited length.

5- The watch is very understated. You can probably wear it in the dodgiest of neighborhoods without drawing undue attention…..but I wouldn’t recommend it.

These are my early observations. I’ll provide updates as time marches on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 321CG_1250.jpg (270.6 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg 321CG_1251.jpg (271.1 KB, 176 views)
Trogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2024, 08:26 AM   #32
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post
I am a little confused by your post. So these Boutique staff, who accepting their product price is too high, what are they then doing? As a seller if your price is too high surely you discount, but you say that wasn't a possibility.

There is little interest in the Onyx dials as you call them because there are very few of them. The Canopus pricing is high, we have all said that but the OP looks to have done well scouting one at an AD. Omega however didn't make these watches to get mass appeal or sales. they are for genuine Speedmaster enthusiasts who know their onions.
As has been explained in a post above, boutiques tend not to offer any discounts, especially Omega owned boutiques. You might get some free extras with a watch, but it is unlikely to be discounted. This watch is their top of the range speedmaster and they know they are not going to sell many. There will be people who are prepared to pay the asking price and the boutiques are prepared to wait for them to turn up and pay the MRRP, I'm not one of them! The staff in the boutique have very little or probably no say at all in what this model sells for, but they will know how many they have had serious enquiries about and how many they have sold.

I like to think that I am a genuine Speedmaster enthusiast, I'm certainly no expert, but I know a bit about them. One of my favourite watches is my SS cal321, but I enjoy my other Speedmasters as well. I would seriously think about buying one of these if the pricing was more in line with other white gold watches like white gold Daytonas for instance. You have to be more than just an enthusiast who knows their onions to buy this watch, you also have to be in a position to be able to comfortably afford to pay about double the price of a WG Daytona for the Omega equivalent and also be able to accept that you will probably loose quite a bit money if you decide to sell it. I really like this watch and would like to have one in my collection, but I can't justify Omega's MRRP price.

I'm pleased to hear that Trogster has got the watch at a price he is happy with, I wish I could do the same, and I look forward to reading more posts from him about it.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2024, 08:59 PM   #33
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
As has been explained in a post above, boutiques tend not to offer any discounts, especially Omega owned boutiques. You might get some free extras with a watch, but it is unlikely to be discounted. This watch is their top of the range speedmaster and they know they are not going to sell many. There will be people who are prepared to pay the asking price and the boutiques are prepared to wait for them to turn up and pay the MRRP, I'm not one of them! The staff in the boutique have very little or probably no say at all in what this model sells for, but they will know how many they have had serious enquiries about and how many they have sold.

I like to think that I am a genuine Speedmaster enthusiast, I'm certainly no expert, but I know a bit about them. One of my favourite watches is my SS cal321, but I enjoy my other Speedmasters as well. I would seriously think about buying one of these if the pricing was more in line with other white gold watches like white gold Daytonas for instance. You have to be more than just an enthusiast who knows their onions to buy this watch, you also have to be in a position to be able to comfortably afford to pay about double the price of a WG Daytona for the Omega equivalent and also be able to accept that you will probably loose quite a bit money if you decide to sell it. I really like this watch and would like to have one in my collection, but I can't justify Omega's MRRP price.

I'm pleased to hear that Trogster has got the watch at a price he is happy with, I wish I could do the same, and I look forward to reading more posts from him about it.
I get what you are saying now but we differ on one point. IMHO the Omega equivalent to a Rolex Daytona is the 3861 version. Here you will find a quality mass produced chronograph movement in a gold case with whatever bracelet or strap you like. Pricing will be similar to the Daytona. Go get one of them.

The 321 watches are produced by one watchmaker in Biel. The watches are a different level. I visited the manufacturer, the chap that built my steel one was pointed out to me!
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2024, 10:19 PM   #34
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Nice one!
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2024, 10:22 PM   #35
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
The 321 watches are produced by one watchmaker in Biel. The watches are a different level. I visited the manufacturer, the chap that built my steel one was pointed out to me!
How did you arrange this? I visited Biel and I was told by my boutique that they do not allow public visits to the workshop.

I’d love to do this on another trip…
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2024, 10:27 PM   #36
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
How did you arrange this? I visited Biel and I was told by my boutique that they do not allow public visits to the workshop.

I’d love to do this on another trip…

If you get invited to the tour of the whole factory, you go up and see the floor that houses the team that makes the 321s and the Tourbillons etc
They then give you a talk on these watches, a master watchmaker does that. It’s really impressive.
We are very fortunate to be able to own these watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 September 2024, 10:29 PM   #37
brandrea

Quote:
If you get invited to the tour of the whole factory, you go up and see the floor that houses the team that makes the 321s and the Tourbillons etc
They then give you a talk on these watches, a master watchmaker does that. It’s really impressive.
We are very fortunate to be able to own these watches.

How did you get invested on the tour? If you have a contact please PM.

YES, we indeed are fortunate. Wearing mine as I type this

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: sorry for the thread highjack Jack. I figured others including yourself might be interested

Old 7 September 2024, 10:41 PM   #38
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
How did you get invested on the tour? If you have a contact please PM.

YES, we indeed are fortunate. Wearing mine as I type this

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: sorry for the thread highjack Jack. I figured others including yourself might be interested

PM sent.
Old 7 September 2024, 10:45 PM   #39
brandrea

Quote:
PM sent.
Old 7 September 2024, 10:46 PM   #40
brandrea

Jack … I’d love to see a photo with all three of your 321’s
Old 8 September 2024, 12:25 AM   #41
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I presume by "produced by one watchmaker" you actually mean assembled by one watchmaker?

I don't think anyone has ever said or suggested that the new 321 movement is hand made. It is assembled by one person from machine made pieces the same as other movements. My understanding, and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this, is that this is the same as what happens when a watch is serviced isn't it? One person takes the watch apart and then reassembles it with new parts where necessary. I don't know if the same person polishes the case / bracelet, but I've been told by both Rolex and Omega that one person services the watch. I think I've heard that the 321 movement is assembled twice for some reason, I don't know why, but I doubt that this improves the quality or standard of the movement. After all, the movement is know for it's history and it certainly looks very nice, but it's not known for it's accuracy compared to other more modern relatively mass produced movements.

You say "The watches are a different level". What do you mean by this? Do you mean the standard of polishing and detailing? I really do not want to sound as if I don't like the cal 321 watches because I do like them. I have a SS version and I certainly would like the white gold version that Trogster has just bought, but I also think some people get a bit carried away with their descriptions and the reality of what they have paid a lot of money for. These watches are hand assembled, but they are not what I would call hand made. When I think about the different level of my cal 321, I remember that it's the only watch I've ever bought which the clasp fell apart twice resulting in it falling off (bracelet and clasp replaced under warranty by Omega) and it's one of the more inaccurate watches I've bought, but I would still get another if something happened to it.
Old 8 September 2024, 02:22 AM   #42
Trogster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Jack … I’d love to see a photo with all three of your 321’s
Working on it....stay tuned :)
Old 8 September 2024, 09:33 AM   #43
Trogster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
jack … i’d love to see a photo with all three of your 321’s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 321_trio_1250.jpg (212.4 KB, 144 views)
Old 8 September 2024, 10:30 AM   #44
brandrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogster View Post

Thank you
Old 8 September 2024, 06:42 PM   #45
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Beautiful, I’m very jealous.
Old 8 September 2024, 07:20 PM   #46
moon321
"TRF" Member

This is very impressive. Sir Trog is the endboss of modern Speedmaster collectors. Sir I enjoy reading and watching the photos of your enjoyment in collecting these beautiful pieces.
moon321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 09:12 PM   #47
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Very nice.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 03:58 AM   #48
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So cool. All are very understated and have a ton of character and charm. If I were so fortunate, I may choose the platinum out of the three. Something about that one has always pulled at my heart. I believe it is the platinum case material and meteorite subdials.

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 12:29 AM   #49
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Beautiful

I've been consistent in saying the platinum 321 is the top of the mountain for me. Absolutely love that watch. The other two ain't too shabby either
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 12:45 AM   #50
Cru Jones

Quote:
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 12:46 AM   #51
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Outstanding. Congrats. When you see them lined up you appreciate more the differences between them all.

Old 10 September 2024, 02:20 AM   #52
doctoryellow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fantastic. Well done on completing the set. I would guess you are the only person in the world that has the 3 of them.

enjoy.
ummm not sure about that 👀
doctoryellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 05:45 AM   #53
helloworldies
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167a/216570 black
It looks so much like the 3594.50 in the pictures but i am guessing not so much in reality
Love all these precious metal speedmasters. Congratulations!
helloworldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2024, 06:20 AM   #54
Trogster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworldies View Post
It looks so much like the 3594.50 in the pictures but i am guessing not so much in reality
Love all these precious metal speedmasters. Congratulations!
The 3594.50 is so undervalued on the secondary market.... thinking of picking one up as a GADA.
Old 10 September 2024, 08:30 AM   #55
Trogster
"TRF" Member

Playing with lighting...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 321_2_1250.jpg (228.5 KB, 96 views)
Old 10 September 2024, 09:07 AM   #56
Trogster
"TRF" Member

So challenging to capture that onyx dial...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 321_0_1250.jpg (252.2 KB, 95 views)
Old 10 September 2024, 09:26 AM   #57
brandrea

Quote:
You’re doing a good job
Old 11 September 2024, 09:45 AM   #58
PandaLover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Playing with lighting...
wow
PandaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 04:50 PM   #59
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Very nice and with moving seconds hand!
Old 12 September 2024, 03:53 PM   #60
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR 226570
Quote:
Playing with lighting...
I usually scroll through photos with lightning speed occasionally pausing the TV for a sec to look at something a little closer.

I stared at the first pic for minutes. Then the second one. Then I scrolled back up to the first again.

Just epic..
Guppydriver is online now   Reply With Quote