The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 September 2024, 09:04 AM   #1
5montres
"TRF" Member

Service center inspection question

Hello all,

I recently sent my Sea Dweller 16600 to the service center because the crown wasn’t functioning correctly. 1. When winding in first position, the second hand would not start ticking even after 20+ turns. 2. Occasional inability to pull the crown out to the third position.

The service center visually inspected it and didn’t seem to find anything out of spec regarding the crown, and I declined the overhaul service since a full service was completed in 2021.

From my understanding, during their inspections the caseback is unscrewed for authentication of the movement. Other than that, the watch is not taken apart.

My question is: Is there now a water resistance concern? The rep at the AD did say that the caseback is screwed back in tightly, but not pressure tested in my scenario. She suggested being careful around water, which made me a bit nervous. She also mentioned the technicians replacing gaskets if necessary, which seemed generous as I was not paying them for just an inspection.

Thoughts or experiences from the community? Thanks in advance.
5montres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 09:50 AM   #2
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
My thoughts are as follows.

- Issue 1 - Many Rolex watches start up after a few winds. Many more seem to require a "flick" of the wrist to get going, even after 30 or 40 winds. I don't think this is of any concern.

- Issue 2 - This isn't terribly unheard of either. You'll find this with all mechanical watches to varying degrees. It's one of those "sometimes" issues, as you pointed out. Normal. I'd be concerned if it becomes more frequent. Best to push the crown back in and try again. Keyless works are delicate - you don't want to "force" the crown out and risk breaking something.

As far as W/R goes, as long as it's been screwed down adequately and the O-ring itself hasn't been pinched or unseated, it's more than likely fine.
Old 8 September 2024, 10:55 AM   #3
5montres
"TRF" Member

Thank you! Glad I’m not the only one who experiences these issues. Also, It is 20 years young, after all.
Old 8 September 2024, 11:17 AM   #4
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
what you described seems kinda normal, you need to wind it a few more times if the watch has not been worn for a while
worldofoyster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 03:55 PM   #5
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I am surprised that a service centre would replace a case back on any Rolex without pressure testing especially a 16600.

In this instance I doubt the case back was removed?

As for the comment ‘being careful around water’, someone should look for another job.

Pressure testing is mandatory after case back removal/replacement.

This is SOP.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 08:58 PM   #6
NigeG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
As Andad said ^^

Be careful around water FFS!!

My 2002 Sub Date has a similar trait. When winding from stopped I usually have to give it a flick of the wrist to get it moving after a few winds of the crown. I then fully wind it.

Occasionally I can’t get it to hack going from position one to three. I generally pull the crown to position two (date change) and then pull it to position three for setting the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NigeG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 09:16 PM   #7
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would go get it pressure tested and end any doubt.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 09:39 PM   #8
77T

Could you share which RSC to which you sent it?

You said you did t pay for the inspection and quote?

Very unusual unless you meant your AD did this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 09:54 PM   #9
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

That’s where my mind goes to as well …
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 10:05 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5montres View Post
Hello all,

I recently sent my Sea Dweller 16600 to the service center because the crown wasn’t functioning correctly. 1. When winding in first position, the second hand would not start ticking even after 20+ turns. 2. Occasional inability to pull the crown out to the third position.

The service center visually inspected it and didn’t seem to find anything out of spec regarding the crown, and I declined the overhaul service since a full service was completed in 2021.

From my understanding, during their inspections the caseback is unscrewed for authentication of the movement. Other than that, the watch is not taken apart.

My question is: Is there now a water resistance concern? The rep at the AD did say that the caseback is screwed back in tightly, but not pressure tested in my scenario. She suggested being careful around water, which made me a bit nervous. She also mentioned the technicians replacing gaskets if necessary, which seemed generous as I was not paying them for just an inspection.

Thoughts or experiences from the community? Thanks in advance.
Many ADs have got the equipment to test watches like the 16600 SD to max D/R, but a simple dry pressure check done by any high street watch shop to 200m if passed will be safe for all normal water activities.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 11:37 PM   #11
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Quote:

This, I think his AD did the inspection and maybe that AD doesn’t have RSC watchmaker on staff because any RSC watchmaker would pressure test it after opening up the caseback. That’s standard procedure.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2024, 01:10 AM   #12
5montres
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I am surprised that a service centre would replace a case back on any Rolex without pressure testing especially a 16600.

In this instance I doubt the case back was removed?

As for the comment ‘being careful around water’, someone should look for another job.

Pressure testing is mandatory after case back removal/replacement.

This is SOP.
Thank you for the feedback. According to the rep, my caseback was removed and screwed back per their guidelines, and since it “does need service, the watch will not be pressure proofed.” This approach seemed counterintuitive when I first heard it.
Old 9 September 2024, 01:11 AM   #13
5montres
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofoyster View Post
what you described seems kinda normal, you need to wind it a few more times if the watch has not been worn for a while
Much appreciated. I was worried because it wouldn’t come alive and thought maybe the hacking function was somehow engaged.
Old 9 September 2024, 01:16 AM   #14
5montres
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
As Andad said ^^

Be careful around water FFS!!

My 2002 Sub Date has a similar trait. When winding from stopped I usually have to give it a flick of the wrist to get it moving after a few winds of the crown. I then fully wind it.

Occasionally I can’t get it to hack going from position one to three. I generally pull the crown to position two (date change) and then pull it to position three for setting the time.

That’s pretty much what I’ve been doing too. I have to fidget with the crown operation, figuring that perhaps I don’t wear the watch enough and things get tight. Similar to how I feel in the morning when my stiff body cracks walking down the stairs and I have to stretch haha.
Old 9 September 2024, 01:24 AM   #15
5montres
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Correct, the inspection and quote were free. Because it’s a Sea Dweller, it was sent to the Dallas center versus remaining at the AD. I’m assuming they take good care of anything that goes there, whether a service is eventually completed or not, and therefore my watch will come back with full water resistance. One can hope!
Old 9 September 2024, 01:26 AM   #16
5montres
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Many ADs have got the equipment to test watches like the 16600 SD to max D/R, but a simple dry pressure check done by any high street watch shop to 200m if passed will be safe for all normal water activities.
Thanks. I’ll probably do that for peace of mind.
Old 9 September 2024, 05:59 AM   #17
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5montres View Post
Correct, the inspection and quote were free. Because it’s a Sea Dweller, it was sent to the Dallas center versus remaining at the AD. I’m assuming they take good care of anything that goes there, whether a service is eventually completed or not, and therefore my watch will come back with full water resistance. One can hope!
If your watch went to the Dallas RSC, then rest assured that the Service Center followed proper procedures if the back was removed.

Take anything that the AD sales rep says with a grain of salt. .
Old 9 September 2024, 07:04 AM   #18
5montres
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
If your watch went to the Dallas RSC, then rest assured that the Service Center followed proper procedures if the back was removed.

Take anything that the AD sales rep says with a grain of salt. .

Thanks! This is reassuring.