The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 September 2024, 03:19 PM   #1
DL19
"TRF" Member

Enamel Dial World Time - Application Process

Hi All,

I’ve recently built a decent collection with my local AD (3 Calatravas, 1 Nautilus and 1 Aquanaut).

Is a 5231 (Enamel World Time) a reasonable ask? Only one way to find out, but curious to know from others as to what the usual threshold is to qualify and apply with a decent chance of getting approved!

Thanks!
DL19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 11:09 PM   #2
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Yeah that’s enough. You’ll probably get one if you go on the factory tour.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 09:42 AM   #3
dauster
"TRF" Member

pretty sure you can get one - seems realistic
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 12:25 PM   #4
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I finally got it after 19 Pateks between my wife and I. I was called names for this.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 02:25 PM   #5
unotaz
"TRF" Member

Not likely in my opinion.
unotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 02:50 PM   #6
Steele
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I finally got it after 19 Pateks between my wife and I. I was called names for this.
Sir can you please elaborate on what names you were called?

I’m gonna through out a few options

1- Richie Rich
2- Mr Good Taste
3- Flex Gordon
4- Peter piper picks a pack of pickled Patek’s
5- Daddy or Zaddy (by your wife of course)
6- All of the above
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 03:21 PM   #7
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Ouch!

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 09:43 PM   #8
_Gatsby_
"TRF" Member

Typically this is a tough ask with what you have. This is an allocation piece. Do not have any complications?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
_Gatsby_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2024, 12:42 PM   #9
MACRON.WATCHES
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
Sir can you please elaborate on what names you were called?

I’m gonna through out a few options

1- Richie Rich
2- Mr Good Taste
3- Flex Gordon
4- Peter piper picks a pack of pickled Patek’s
5- Daddy or Zaddy (by your wife of course)
6- All of the above
You just made my day ����������������. I’d say everything except 2 ������
MACRON.WATCHES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2024, 01:41 PM   #10
byow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL19 View Post
Hi All,

I’ve recently built a decent collection with my local AD (3 Calatravas, 1 Nautilus and 1 Aquanaut).

Is a 5231 (Enamel World Time) a reasonable ask? Only one way to find out, but curious to know from others as to what the usual threshold is to qualify and apply with a decent chance of getting approved!

Thanks!
The AD lets you know when you are ready for an allocation piece. It they have not offered you one, this means that you are not there yet.

The conditions you have to meet in order to be in a position to get offered an allocation piece depend on the market you are in.

Based on the information you provided, your chances seem very limited.
byow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2024, 02:17 PM   #11
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yeah but you are in Singapore, right ? Probably one of the most competitive markets in the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2024, 04:58 PM   #12
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Yeah but you are in Singapore, right ? Probably one of the most competitive markets in the world
Yes, and it's competitive. However, my objective was not going to my AD with zero history and asking him how to get the enamel WT, and then bundling 19 pieces I don't want. I have a lot of fun with the 19 pieces and the enamel WT was just +1 to 19 other enjoyable pieces.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2024, 05:57 PM   #13
southlight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, and it's competitive. However, my objective was not going to my AD with zero history and asking him how to get the enamel WT, and then bundling 19 pieces I don't want. I have a lot of fun with the 19 pieces and the enamel WT was just +1 to 19 other enjoyable pieces.
That‘s the way to do this anyway. In this market, you need 10+ pieces to apply for a MR. Just doesn‘t make sense to go that route if you don‘t like to journey nor the pieces to get there.
southlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2024, 06:40 PM   #14
DL19
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the feedback… mixed responses so I’ll just have to ask! 😆

Pretty surprised though since the pieces are trading at retail on the secondary market, would have thought that an application piece that requires a long history of purchases would be the opposite! Guess the demand just isn’t there…
DL19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2024, 09:12 PM   #15
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks all for the feedback… mixed responses so I’ll just have to ask! 😆

Pretty surprised though since the pieces are trading at retail on the secondary market, would have thought that an application piece that requires a long history of purchases would be the opposite! Guess the demand just isn’t there…
Its not just about beign able to buy the watch at list on the grey market.
Its the experience and experiences you get with being in that club of owners able to acquire such pieces and future important pieces
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 12:00 AM   #16
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The "application process" varies depending on where the AD is located. If the AD is located in the UK, the process goes through the Patek UK managing director. If you know him (e.g. via an AD introduction at a Patek event) and he knows you, this will greatly help with the application. In the US, the process is different as it is in the EU and Asia.

In many parts of the world, the AD gets an allocation of these enamel WT watches and the AD can decide to which collector they allocate the watch.

In general if Patek does the allocation for the application pieces, they like to see the length of your collection journey and the depth of your collection, meaning if you have complicated watches.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 01:03 AM   #17
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byow View Post
The AD lets you know when you are ready for an allocation piece. It they have not offered you one, this means that you are not there yet.

The conditions you have to meet in order to be in a position to get offered an allocation piece depend on the market you are in.

Based on the information you provided, your chances seem very limited.
Not for me. I asked for it and the AD agreed to submit my application. Same thing with my second one.
Old 14 September 2024, 02:42 AM   #18
bogdoc
"TRF" Member

My AD never a Said anything if I deserve it or not. I asked after few pieces and they told me that I should get the next one they will receive. They did claim that they had to apply on my behalf for the allocation. It’s cool to see that warranty papers have your name printed, not handwritten!
bogdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 03:22 AM   #19
JMac6
"TRF" Member

If you have a strong relationship with your AD, I would say you have a shot. Particularly, if you have driven home how much you want that particular piece. That said, to your 3 Calatravas, you have 2 "hotter" pieces - so your AD might want you to get a grand complication, or something close to it, since your AD might perceive that it has already thrown you a bone.

Perhaps this is not the place for such an interlude, but I have been thinking more and more about whether I want to continue the journey. I do want to maintain a relationship with my AD, of course, but I am not sure I want 10 watches period, let alone 10 from a single brand. If I had endless amounts of money, I think the journey is a no-brainer - some of the super high end grand complications, one offs, etc., are truly amazing. But for a normie like myself, I am starting to think that if I cannot get exactly what I want from my AD, just go gray. Almost better to have a relationship with a strong second-hand dealer. We know what Patek was. We know what Patek is. We do not know what Patek will be. And, at least for this guy, I have not particularly loved the direction the brand has been going.
JMac6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2024, 02:02 PM   #20
codecow
"TRF" Member

I think part of it is meeting the people if you want to jump the queue. There was one guy and his wife on the trip I was on and all he had purchased was an annual calendar and some jewelry (nothing crazy). That guy had he talked to Larry and Michael could have gotten something most likely.
Old 15 September 2024, 06:54 AM   #21
byow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Not for me. I asked for it and the AD agreed to submit my application. Same thing with my second one.
This differs from the experience I had with the Salons and the experience of the collectors I know: nobody got an MR by asking for it.

Which timepieces did you ask for?
byow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2024, 11:11 AM   #22
tng11
"TRF" Member

Interesting to me that they are so difficult to get, yet basically trade for MSRP on the secondary market! I've had my eyes on the 5231G and it seems like they can be had basically for MSRP on the secondary. Been seriously considering springing for the G - tough choice between the J.

I would have loved to start my AD "journey" with a 5212A but all the dealers here in Canada have told me no way that'd be my first piece and it would be a multiple year wait (never mind I can get one tomorrow for below MSRP or there's even an AD in Germany with one available immediately for purchase). As much value as I've seen people get from building a relationship, seems to be too high of a hurdle to climb and too much lost time.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 06:21 PM   #23
jhua94
"TRF" Member

I think it depends on the AD and their allocation for the watches. I've bought 11 Pateks from my AD and have expressed my interest for this watch. Haven't heard anything from them.

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks!
jhua94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2024, 09:18 PM   #24
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
The "application process" varies depending on where the AD is located. If the AD is located in the UK, the process goes through the Patek UK managing director. If you know him (e.g. via an AD introduction at a Patek event) and he knows you, this will greatly help with the application. In the US, the process is different as it is in the EU and Asia.

In many parts of the world, the AD gets an allocation of these enamel WT watches and the AD can decide to which collector they allocate the watch.

In general if Patek does the allocation for the application pieces, they like to see the length of your collection journey and the depth of your collection, meaning if you have complicated watches.
I can see the OP based in the UK, this is how the allocation/application process works in the UK
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote