The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 September 2024, 08:31 AM   #1
rockysw
"TRF" Member

rolex vs omega production volumes

I am bit intrigued looking at the price trend for omega speedmaster 321 as it could now be had for below retail. But I always assumed that the production volume for 321 are lower than that of rolex daytona or say OP 41s etc etc, yet daytona has around 100% premium over retail.

Is it simply because the demand for Rolex daytona is much higher or omega has started to produce too many of 321?
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 08:48 AM   #2
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The overall watch market is soft at the moment. Many folks may be taking a needed breather and there is broad saturation in the market from the hyper demand of the past few years.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 08:55 AM   #3
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

no one outside of watch enthusiasts is going for a 321 and that's a very small group

on the other hand it feels like everyone who wants a rolex wants the same 3 models and the demand for rolex is generally higher anyway, so that's probably why
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 09:04 AM   #4
Emery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
no one outside of watch enthusiasts is going for a 321 and that's a very small group

on the other hand it feels like everyone who wants a rolex wants the same 3 models and the demand for rolex is generally higher anyway, so that's probably why
Add to the fact you can get a 3861 for much less than a 321.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 11:10 AM   #5
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
rolex vs omega production volumes

321 is overrated (IMHO) and this comes from one of the biggest Omega fanboys on this forum. I personally prefer the standard moon watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 01:40 PM   #6
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
321 is overrated (IMHO) and this comes from one of the biggest Omega fanboys on this forum. I personally prefer the standard moon watch.

Agreed. A friend has the 321, yet my sapphire sandwich next to it feels and looks better to me, personally.
Mr. Superlative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 02:13 PM   #7
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Well said!

Quote:

rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 06:09 PM   #8
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Here is my take on the 321 noting that I was offered one in 2021 but I passed since I was hoping to get a snoopy (which I did not)

The 321 has a historical significance with a high end movement and excellent finishing all this for $15.400

But looking at the latest version of the speedmaster 3861 crystal version, the watch has the same historical significance (in my opinion), a high-end movement that is updated to the latest spec, an excellent bracelet, and all perks of original moonwatch for $8000.

So for almost 50% off you get a similar watch from the same manufacturer both of which are equally important.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 06:51 PM   #9
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Exactly this. A 321 isn't on the radar for the casual insta/hype-obsessed watch buyer. It's expensive (relatively), not hyped (compared to Rolex), and it looks very similar (at first glance) to the standard 3861. You have to really want a 321 to go after one, as it's very much a niche piece for a pretty tiny group of enthusiasts.

On the Rolex side.... well, we all know how that is.
Old 12 September 2024, 09:48 PM   #10
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
The production has caught up with he demand for the 321. Great watch but one for a serious Speedmaster fan.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 09:51 PM   #11
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Yep thats pretty much it.

Happy to own one and IMHO it’s worth every penny.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2024, 12:05 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockysw View Post
I am bit intrigued looking at the price trend for omega speedmaster 321 as it could now be had for below retail. But I always assumed that the production volume for 321 are lower than that of rolex daytona or say OP 41s etc etc, yet daytona has around 100% premium over retail.

Is it simply because the demand for Rolex daytona is much higher or omega has started to produce too many of 321?
Production quantity is only one part of pricing.

If you have 100 pieces of a product, but nobody wants one, you need to lower the price just to off load/sell anything.

If you have 100 pieces of a product that everybody wants you can mark the price up to whatever the market will bear, or you will be sold out in an hour.

Rolex is in high demand, Omega is not in that same demand bracket.
Old 13 September 2024, 12:43 AM   #13
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

I am waiting for a 321 at MSRP…who should I call?

Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune/Lava
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote