The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 September 2024, 04:23 AM   #1
SN2354
"TRF" Member

Daytona 116515 (Leather) vs Daytona 116515 (OF)

Hi All

I am looking to pick up a 116515, black dial. As we know, the 116515 was updated after about 5 years of production from leather to rubber (OF) straps. We also know for the most part that you can't put OF on a leather watch.

The pricing between the 2 are pretty far apart, so leather would be the more obvious choice for those looking for value. You have leather, plus the option of Rubber B or similar strap.

To me it looks like the clasp/buckle was changed removed holes in order to accommodate the OF strap and its micro adjustment, and perhaps a dial or two were updated.

The question is was anything else changed on this model? In theory the bezel, movement, case should all be the same. I have reviewed many photos and to me it looks like perhaps the OF 116515 have a sharper look to the lugs and the Leather 116515's lugs might be a bit rounded off, and maybe on the side profile a tad longer?

Or am I crazy and the cases are exactly the same since the 116515 first came out all those years ago?

Thanks for any help!
SN2354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2024, 04:33 AM   #2
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
the OF is very comfortable
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2024, 04:34 AM   #3
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

I believe OF will fit on a leather watch. Ask your AD. I've seen pictures here of people putting on OF bracelets on other daytonas.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2024, 05:45 AM   #4
SN2354
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
I believe OF will fit on a leather watch. Ask your AD. I've seen pictures here of people putting on OF bracelets on other daytonas.
So looking into it, the clasp design does not allow the OF strap on a leather model. Basically the clasp on 6 oclock side has a little notch that pops out and the OF has a metal sleeve which would render it useless. on the 12 oclock side, it might work but the pin is wider on the leather models as they go directly into the sides of the buckle as opposed to a screw that goes into the quick release.

Many leather owners put them on Rubber B straps for that reason, and I am trying to weigh the options as I kind of like the more elegant look of leather, but at the same time curious if the case itself has changed as the leather models seem to have softer edges on the case while the OF cases seem a bit more sharper.

Also here are the images on the case itself. See how the OF model looks a bit sharper in the lugs?

SN2354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2024, 05:49 AM   #5
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

I'll be honest it looks the same to me. Maybe someone has more direct experience with this. I don't think there is a difference in case shape.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2024, 04:29 PM   #6
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN2354 View Post
So looking into it, the clasp design does not allow the OF strap on a leather model. Basically the clasp on 6 oclock side has a little notch that pops out and the OF has a metal sleeve which would render it useless. on the 12 oclock side, it might work but the pin is wider on the leather models as they go directly into the sides of the buckle as opposed to a screw that goes into the quick release.

Many leather owners put them on Rubber B straps for that reason, and I am trying to weigh the options as I kind of like the more elegant look of leather, but at the same time curious if the case itself has changed as the leather models seem to have softer edges on the case while the OF cases seem a bit more sharper.

Also here are the images on the case itself. See how the OF model looks a bit sharper in the lugs?

OF fits the case but the clasp is completely different.

You are comparing a render with an actual photograph here, so its impossible to say. You need to find actual pictures of both in an untouched state to compare cases

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote