The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old Yesterday, 01:59 AM   #1
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Networking with grey dealers

Recently I've been buying/selling some watches and I've found it to be quite enjoyable since I'm an enthusiast at heart and I love helping people get into pieces they've been yearning for. I want to try and grow this little side business but the biggest challenge I'm having is sourcing watches. For someone looking to dive deeper into the world of watch dealing how would you suggest going about establishing connections with grey dealers and gaining access to wholesale watch deals? I've tried MODA and other FB groups but since there's no barrier to entry and anyone can join I've noticed everything on there is priced somewhere in between wholesale and retail. I saw they have a paid group which I believe is called real watch buyers does anyone know if that one is worth the cost? I heard that's where the "true" wholesale deals take place between dealers. How do people new in the industry get into these coveted wholesale dealer chats on WhatsApp, telegram, etc? Appreciate any insight!
BriansRolex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:10 AM   #2
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
If we knew how to gain access to wholesale watch deals we’d all be getting our Rolexes at wholesale.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:12 AM   #3
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
If we knew how to gain access to wholesale watch deals we’d all be getting our Rolexes at wholesale.
Not everyone wants to be a watch dealer
Old Yesterday, 02:14 AM   #4
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
People that want to get into any sort of business must invest in resources. If you have already found a place that could potentially give you what you're looking for, pay the money to get in and see for yourself.

Additionally, depending on where you are located, you could find a job with a dealer where I am sure you will get insight into the ins and outs. Unless you get really lucky and a well established dealer wants to take you under their wing and mentor you, I doubt you'll get anyone to give up their suppliers or resources.

Best of luck!
Old Yesterday, 02:16 AM   #5
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
People that want to get into any sort of business must invest in resources. If you have already found a place that could potentially give you what you're looking for, pay the money to get in and see for yourself.

Additionally, depending on where you are located, you could find a job with a dealer where I am sure you will get insight into the ins and outs. Unless you get really lucky and a well established dealer wants to take you under their wing and mentor you, I doubt you'll get anyone to give up their suppliers or resources.

Best of luck!
It's pretty common business protocol to ask for opinions from those who have already gone down a path before you just blindly go in. That being said I don't want to pay for every paid group when 99% of them are known to be junk hence why I'm asking if this particular one is worth it. I'm sure there are members here on TRF who are in that group and give me honest feedback. Thanks nonetheless for your response!
Old Yesterday, 02:18 AM   #6
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansRolex View Post
Not everyone wants to be a watch dealer
But everybody wants wholesale.
Old Yesterday, 02:19 AM   #7
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
But everybody wants wholesale.
That's why my post is directed towards dealers who are in this as a business and not to consumers who are just looking to buy a single wholesale watch for their personal gain
Old Yesterday, 02:34 AM   #8
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Wholesale means buying in bulk. You can negotiate with any dealer, whether on Moda or elsewhere, to reach the wholesale price, but you’ll need to purchase more than one piece. The key is negotiating and finding an incentive that benefits both sides. For the dealer, the incentive will most likely be purchasing a large quantity in one transaction from him or buying pieces that have been difficult for him to sell
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:36 AM   #9
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Moda is maybe a place to start. Just be careful to vet the sellers and the buyers
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:37 AM   #10
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

I would join 1 paid group and see how that works out. The connections you can make might be worth it. With that said, there are so many watch sellers that you might have a tough go but you will never know unless you try. Don't quit the day job...
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:39 AM   #11
ZOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansRolex View Post
That's why my post is directed towards dealers who are in this as a business and not to consumers who are just looking to buy a single wholesale watch for their personal gain

Maybe PMs to the used watch dealers that sell on TRF regularly would be more effective rather than an open post where the retail watch buyers normally interact.
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:43 AM   #12
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Any wholesale arrangement needs to be reciprocal, either you reciprocate through buying volume as stated above or you reciprocate through the exchange of desirable inventory. I see your conundrum on how to start this cycle.