The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 05:43 AM   #1
Phil8352
"TRF" Member

Is it normal for ADs to blatantly admit to prioritizing buyers of other merch?

I realize this is how the AD game is played, but was surprised when an SA (not my usual SA) told be the wait time on the 126613LB would be cut in half if I purchased some Roberto Coin earrings for my wife. It kind of made me want to punch him in the throat.

Is it normal for them to be so upfront about this?
Phil8352 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM   #2
swexlin
"TRF" Member

In a word - yes.
swexlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM   #3
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I don’t know if it’s normal to admit, but its certainly honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM   #4
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

I don’t think it’s normal to kind of want to punch anyone in the throat over such a minor matter. Sorry but life’s too short to get even remotely stressed over a watch purchase like this.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

What does your wife like? Maybe Mikimoto pearls or a nice Cartier timepiece for her? Let's hear what she desires.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM   #6
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Play View Post
I don’t think it’s normal to kind of want to punch anyone in the throat over such a minor matter. Sorry but life’s too short to get even remotely stressed over a watch purchase like this.
Yep, I’m going to go with this.
But yes money spent is important to any AD. I like to believe I’m a VIP with a little v at my AD. I have gotten almost everything I’ve asked for but I also know my status is based more on friendship and longevity than on spend. I know my place and accept that some other clients who spend lots more will be served ahead of me.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM   #7
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
You must be living under a rock or very new to the AD experience over the last 5-6 years. I would just be glad that they were honest about it and not leading you on.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM   #8
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Any company prioritizes their better customers. If they don't, they won't be around long.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM   #9
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Have you been in a coma for the last few years?
While the demand persists, some AD’s attempt to bundle.
Not all do that.
Old Yesterday, 06:33 AM   #10
Phil8352
"TRF" Member

Reading comprehension, guys.

My question was not whether an AD will hold Rolex watches back unless you buy other inventory.

The question was whether they’re normally so blatant about it. I always assumed it was more of an unspoken thing.
Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM   #11
Pboned

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil8352 View Post
I realize this is how the AD game is played, but was surprised when an SA (not my usual SA) told be the wait time on the 126613LB would be cut in half if I purchased some Roberto Coin earrings for my wife. It kind of made me want to punch him in the throat.

lol
Pboned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM   #12
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Play View Post
Couldn't have put it better.

I doubt it's an unspoken thing, since the SA was speaking when they disclosed it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM   #13
train-time

Quote:

You are right, generally they are not so blatant about it. Consider yourself lucky, they clued you into how they play the game and saved you some frustration. Your option is to try another AD and see if you can figure out how they want to leverage their sales to maximize the return on the asset while you wait.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM   #14
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
I have only heard of that for the SS Daytona. I could walk in pretty much anytime and get a bluesy with a short wait. Sounds like they are using the perception of non-availability in this case. Unless by cut in half they mean 1 month to 2 weeks.
Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM   #15
Phil8352
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
You are right, generally they are not so blatant about it. Consider yourself lucky, they clued you into how they play the game and saved you some frustration. Your option is to try another AD and see if you can figure out how they want to leverage their sales to maximize the return on the asset while you wait.
Thank you, that’s what I thought. I was seriously taken aback and put off by it (clearly).
Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM   #16
whatisarolexym
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40 Blue (126622)
It is disgusting and not all ADs are like that, mine for example did not expect me to buy anything else.

I believe there is some sort of legal case against Rolex/ADs for this behaviour.

It is terrible and hopefully these ADs will learn a lesson once the Rolex hype dies down a lot more
whatisarolexym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM   #17
aboutime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you, that’s what I thought. I was seriously taken aback and put off by it (clearly).
At least you know what you need to do. Not all ADs will be so open, but many will reward those who diversify their spend.
aboutime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM   #18
daysky1
"TRF" Member

The one ad that I use has my loyalty. They have sold a few Rolex watches to me without me having to buy anything other than the Rolex watch they offer when they offered it. They got to know me before offering me the first Rolex watch they found out that I'm not a flipper I'm just an older gentleman that likes Rolex watches and I am collecting Rolex watches and it's part of what I like to do in my retirement years. I enjoy having them on the Shelf looking at them picking out any one that I want to wear at any day more than one a day sometimes and they are fully aware of this. They like customers like me. I guess I'm most fortunate to have an ad that doesn't play the you buy this and I'll sell you that game. And they are greatly appreciated i let them know that every time I buy a new Rolex from them. And anytime I make contact with them for anything else because I have interests that are similar hobbies that are similar and sometimes i call just to say hi. Over the years I have made some very good friends and I count this authorized dealer and all of the sales staff amongst them.
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM   #19
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I always assumed it was more of an unspoken thing.
You're the one who brought it up here on TRF. Can we get back to unspoken, like who gets the next Ferrari limited edition or one of next-gen Pagani cars. You surely know the very famous saying... Ask not what your AD can do for you, but what you can or your AD.

What do you bring to the table?

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM   #20
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Money talks and BS walks when it comes to ADs

As much as people love to share stories here about dropping in to show their SA cute pics of their kids eating mud to build the relationship…stacks of bills spent on the shiny stuff sitting in the cases are what the SA really wants to see
Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM   #21
rolph
"TRF" Member

They know that people are eager for those hot models, so they might think it’s a good strategy.
rolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM   #22
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

They were playing good cop, bad cop and you want to throat punch?

What is your problem, man.

Take that $15k you'd spend on the watch and get some anger management therapy. It's going to take a while to come back down to earth.
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM   #23
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

lol for a BLUESY? Go grey today and skip the bs
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM   #24
ocb
"TRF" Member

Violent thoughts over a watch is not normal, I hope.
ocb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM   #25
hellofromthebay
"TRF" Member

You’re lucky, that’s all you have to purchase? We should all be so lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hellofromthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM   #26
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
It's not an unspoken thing. Most watch dealers especially, the high-end brands, explain to customers that they will need to build a relationship over time which means buying other watches to finally get an allocation of the watch they really want. To even be considered for a Patek allocation piece, the first thing that company does is review your purchase history with your AD and the current state of your collection. For Rolex, it is important to be a good customer of the store to get the coveted pieces. Since a Rolex dealer can sell all the Rolex they can get, the best way to stand out to an AD is to buy other stuff in the store on a special occasion basis. Be glad they told you.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM   #27
Easy E

I have had an SA at the AD I used to buy from tell me point blank “Rolexes go to customers that buy other stuff.” I had another SA at a different AD that I just walked into tell me with the straightest face they would not sell me a Rolex until I had been a customer of theirs for several years. So, it may not be normal, but them saying such does happen.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM   #28
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
So many people here have told stories of waiting for years with no promise or clue about how many more years they’ll have to wait and you get told clearly and directly how to cut your wait time in half and you consider violence? Many people would take that deal. It sounds refreshingly honest considering many stories shared here over the years.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM   #29
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

May be time to bring your wife to your AD and continue to establish yourself as a good customer. A Rolex only customer is a dime a dozen.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM   #30
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Ask if they bundle the Roberto Coin earrings along with the Rolex 126613LB watch purchase. I saw online a pair of earrings starting price is $650 and upwards.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote