The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Today, 03:33 AM   #1
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Got "the call" today but could not pick it up on time..

I split my time between two countries... 6 months ago I registered interest for a 226570 Polar with WOS at American Dream.

Original SA left the company and I was assigned a new one and we have been exchanging e-mails. I got a call today and I was told my allocation was ready and they asked if I could come in to pick up the watch. I said I was away from home but would be coming back on Monday and I could pick it up as soon as I landed.

SA called back and told me that it is company policy to give customers a maximum of a 48 hour grace period to pick up an allocated watch. I told the SA that I couldn't make it and left it at that.

I'm not upset as I just picked up a Panda from another AD that I have a relationship with and I think I have a pretty good chance of picking up a Polar should I ask for one. I wanted to buy the Polar in the US cause sales tax is significantly less than what it is at this other AD.

What's really appalling to me is that Authorized Dealers continue to play these games... Not only do people have to wait for a watch, they must stay put while that call comes in.

Imagine being away on your dream family vacation while waiting for your dream watch only to be told you have to come back otherwise the chances are gone? Interesting way to sell products!

This isn't a rant at all... just a friendly PSA for anyone waiting for a watch from WOS that you should stay put indefinitely until your watch arrives, or else.

Have a good day everyone!
Old Today, 03:37 AM   #2
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Just enjoy the Panda.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:40 AM   #3
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

I feel you OP! But enjoy your Panda. Wear in good health. Let your other AD knows that it was unreasonable to ask you to come when you're out of the country and to allocate you the next available watch. It sucks to form a relationship with an SA and have them leave. but it is what it is. (oh man I hate saying that. That phase is so millennial, but it's so apt sometimes)
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:45 AM   #4
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Any chance you know someone who can pick it up on your behalf?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:52 AM   #5
KevNev
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LN
I waited a week before I could pick up my Daytona and the AD didn't have an issue with it. Probably one of those things that varies from AD to AD.
KevNev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:52 AM   #6
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I will never understand why a dealer will not just take a card over the phone to buy your watch until you can retrieve it. Within reason of course, even after paying they shouldn’t have to store it for weeks when they have other clients waiting but it seems like OP’s hold for a few days is reasonable.
For my first three watches from my current AD I was able to go get it the day they called. I have gotten two more since I moved out of state and they were shipped to me after paying over the phone.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:03 AM   #7
cdmorenot

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Any chance you know someone who can pick it up on your behalf?
Plenty of people that could pick it up on my behalf! Unfortunately "company policy" also states I must pick up the watch in person. LOL!
Old Today, 04:05 AM   #8
cdmorenot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I will never understand why a dealer will not just take a card over the phone to buy your watch until you can retrieve it. Within reason of course, even after paying they shouldn’t have to store it for weeks when they have other clients waiting but it seems like OP’s hold for a few days is reasonable.
For my first three watches from my current AD I was able to go get it the day they called. I have gotten two more since I moved out of state and they were shipped to me after paying over the phone.
Agreed! Even from a card security standpoint they could make it work if they really wanted to until the card present transaction could take place.
Old Today, 04:07 AM   #9
cdmorenot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevNev View Post
I waited a week before I could pick up my Daytona and the AD didn't have an issue with it. Probably one of those things that varies from AD to AD.
I agree! I believe this is just the nature of dealing with a larger retailer like Watches of Switzerland and/or Mayors.
Old Today, 04:08 AM   #10
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
A ridiculous policy and a good way to lose a customer in the long term You can for sure dig up a polar somewhere else with a little patience

Congrats on the panda
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:08 AM   #11
doctoryellow
"TRF" Member

Happened to me, too. Oh well
doctoryellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:09 AM   #12
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Oh well. Give them a call on Monday. You never know. It might still be there.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:10 AM   #13
cdmorenot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
Just enjoy the Panda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphr1 View Post
I feel you OP! But enjoy your Panda. Wear in good health. Let your other AD knows that it was unreasonable to ask you to come when you're out of the country and to allocate you the next available watch. It sucks to form a relationship with an SA and have them leave. but it is what it is. (oh man I hate saying that. That phase is so millennial, but it's so apt sometimes)
Absolutely! I'm certainly enjoying the Panda but the Panda happened quick. I've always wanted one but I was already convinced that I would never get one so getting one has always felt different.

I don't need a Polar at the moment, but it is a watch that I planned for! I'm likely not going to put a request for another one anytime soon but imagine if that was actually my grail?

Anyhow, great feedback!
Old Today, 04:15 AM   #14
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
That's just silly that they can't wait a few more days to let you pick it up. Had a similar experience this summer with Hermes. Not a good way to build customer loyalty IMO.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:30 AM   #15
Sephiroth
"TRF" Member

The BS from ADs is just relentless. Screw them
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:46 AM   #16
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
That really is crazy they wouldn't take payment over the phone and let you collect the watch within the reasonable timeframe that you asked for. They would've gotten their money then, and if you didn't show up within a week or two--they could simply refund you and move on to the next.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:49 AM   #17
sgt10p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Surely if you pay for the watch it's your property? Pick it up whenever is convenient?
sgt10p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:15 AM   #18
macluven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
I split my time between two countries... 6 months ago I registered interest for a 226570 Polar with WOS at American Dream.

Original SA left the company and I was assigned a new one and we have been exchanging e-mails. I got a call today and I was told my allocation was ready and they asked if I could come in to pick up the watch. I said I was away from home but would be coming back on Monday and I could pick it up as soon as I landed.

SA called back and told me that it is company policy to give customers a maximum of a 48 hour grace period to pick up an allocated watch. I told the SA that I couldn't make it and left it at that.

I'm not upset as I just picked up a Panda from another AD that I have a relationship with and I think I have a pretty good chance of picking up a Polar should I ask for one. I wanted to buy the Polar in the US cause sales tax is significantly less than what it is at this other AD.

What's really appalling to me is that Authorized Dealers continue to play these games... Not only do people have to wait for a watch, they must stay put while that call comes in.

Imagine being away on your dream family vacation while waiting for your dream watch only to be told you have to come back otherwise the chances are gone? Interesting way to sell products!

This isn't a rant at all... just a friendly PSA for anyone waiting for a watch from WOS that you should stay put indefinitely until your watch arrives, or else.

Have a good day everyone!
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. My SA called me on a Saturday, while I was out of town, letting me know that they had a Sprite on jubilee available if I wanted it. Of course, I said yes, but I was out of town. My SA told me to give them my credit card number. Then he confirmed my address and other stuff. I told him I would be back in town on Sunday afternoon and will try to pick it up then. Well, I wasn't able to pick it up on Sunday and the next time he was working was on Wednesday, so I picked it up on Wednesday.

It's ridiculous how ADs won't let you pay over the phone, especially if you've already established a relationship with them. I'm sure no one plans to spend over $10k on a watch and not pick it up. Like someone else said in this thread, they already have your payment, what's the difference when you pick it up??

The only thing I can think of is, someone might change their mind and call the credit card company and cancel the payment??? But how realistic would that be?? Even if that did happen, they still have the watch and could always sell it to someone else.
Philippians 4:11–13
macluven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:21 AM   #19
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

It’s an insane policy to not wait for a few days. He should have taken your card and let you come in within the week or two.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:43 AM   #20
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds like an AD who doesn't care if they keep or lose your custom. My AD doesn't treat people like that and I'm sure they are by no means the only one.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:14 AM   #21
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I'd chalk it up to not meant to be. Congratulations on your Panda.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:14 AM   #22
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
My thought on this BS.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:57 AM   #23
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
There is no rational reason for an in-person 48-hour pick-up of the watch. It is a poor policy and should haunt ADs who do such stuff if the market ever softens, and customers start to only go where they were treated well with reasonable policies. A card over the phone and pick it up whenever.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:15 AM   #24
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Poor boutique management.
2loaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:21 AM   #25
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
It does seem ridiculous that Ad’s make you wait a long time for a particular watch and when it does come in they can’t hold it for you
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote