The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old Today, 11:51 AM   #1
iten
"TRF" Member

5230P vs 5236P

Which watch would you get at retail from an AD.

I know they are very different watches, but I like them both.

I have seen the 5230P in person and I liked it a lot. However, people said I should go for the more complicated and newer 5330, which is not available to me.

For the 5236P, I don't have a perpetual in my collection yet. I always prefer more legible watches, so this is probably the perpetual that work best for me. However, I was also told the 5236 has a less polished movement? While I personally like simple elegance, the 5236 dial does look a bit too simple for a watch priced this high.
I haven't seen the new salmon dial yet, but I was told it's a lot more dull then then blue because it does not have the brush effect on it. But I also have many blue watches but zero salmon dial. Which brings the 5935A in to the discussion. People say the thickness compare to the 5230 makes it less elegant.

Pricing and timing is also a concern. Obviously the 5230 is discontinued, so it's now or never(from an AD) I like it, but I don't love it. For the perpetual, the longer I wait, the more expensive it will get (excluding opportunity cost). There is also a possibility of a G version in the future...

Would love to learn more of what people here thinks.
iten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:33 PM   #2
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iten View Post
Which watch would you get at retail from an AD.

I know they are very different watches, but I like them both.

I have seen the 5230P in person and I liked it a lot. However, people said I should go for the more complicated and newer 5330, which is not available to me.

For the 5236P, I don't have a perpetual in my collection yet. I always prefer more legible watches, so this is probably the perpetual that work best for me. However, I was also told the 5236 has a less polished movement? While I personally like simple elegance, the 5236 dial does look a bit too simple for a watch priced this high.
I haven't seen the new salmon dial yet, but I was told it's a lot more dull then then blue because it does not have the brush effect on it. But I also have many blue watches but zero salmon dial. Which brings the 5935A in to the discussion. People say the thickness compare to the 5230 makes it less elegant.

Pricing and timing is also a concern. Obviously the 5230 is discontinued, so it's now or never(from an AD) I like it, but I don't love it. For the perpetual, the longer I wait, the more expensive it will get (excluding opportunity cost). There is also a possibility of a G version in the future...

Would love to learn more of what people here thinks.

If money matters I’d get the 5230 but can’t go wrong with either - both are lovely watches. May I ask why would you spend 30-40% at an AD?5230 can be had for less than 60k and 5236p probably slightly over a 100k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:16 PM   #3
iten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
If money matters I’d get the 5230 but can’t go wrong with either - both are lovely watches. May I ask why would you spend 30-40% at an AD?5230 can be had for less than 60k and 5236p probably slightly over a 100k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My old AD is useless, and I am trying to start a relationship with a new one.

I don't have unlimited resources, but I can afford any one of the watches I mentioned.

I am looking at a world-timer because it's just very distinctively Patek.

I am looking at the 5236 simply because I don't have a perpetual yet.

The only other watch that I like from the existing catalogue is the 5224R, but I don't think this watch would be in fashion after a while. I also have a couple rosegold x blue dial watches already.

So my options are really 5230P/5395A/5236P(blue or salmon).
iten is offline   Reply With Quote