The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 12:29 AM   #31
goldfixer21
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Don't get me wrong, I do love my stainless steel Rolex watches, but their stainless steel is no different from any other company using 904L. Rolex doesn't have a magic steel formula, neither do they have a unique gold alloy either. If they did, anyone could copy it easily anyway. An XRF tester can easily identify every alloy in any metal, and the % of each one.
goldfixer21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:36 AM   #32
goldfixer21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post
Curious if the folks who laser weld (solder) with 904L SS wire actually procure the product from Rolex.
I see it is available commercially after market. Guess it’s not that proprietary.
Seems to blend in perfectly.
Rolex doesn't produce wire products, and if they did they certainly wouldn't sell it. You can purchase stainless steel wire from a number of companies, in just about any alloy you want. I have spools of 316l and 904l that I use for laser welding, it's not a secret formula.
goldfixer21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:53 AM   #33
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Materials science background here. Nothing special about 904 unless you plan to have your wrist in hot strong corrosives as found in some industries. Slight appearance difference is all and a bit more prone to surface scratches.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM   #34
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: one I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Rolex S.Steel is supplied to them ready made in billet form, but they do proses all there own precious metals.
isn't it what I posted above
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #35
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDeac View Post
Hey guys, I have owned my sub-date for about 6 months now and the one thing that I am still impressed with is how the steel looks. The brushed parts of the case and and bracelet is unlike I've ever seen on another watch. It appears to have a sheen on it that stands out from afar (especially after it's been freshly cleaned w/ soap and warm water). Couple this with the polished parts, it looks amazing.

Anyway, thought I'd mention this as I don't hear about this much, but was wondering if any of you also noticed this as well

Yes, Rolex 904 has a lovely luster.

Downside is that its soft as butter, but it looks nice

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM   #36
Cru Jones

A freshly washed steel Rolex as a nice shine to it, even other brands like Ball and Girard-Perregaux also use 904L steel
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #37
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Rolex does a wonderful job on finishing the steel on its SS watches. The brushed and polished surfaces are amazing (and definitely worth staring at as a new owner), but as others mentioned all the top brands do this and some better than Rolex. But my 316l SS Sub is hard as a rock...
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:57 AM   #38
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
These are the threads that make this community great !
Agree, the SS luster is amazing.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:06 AM   #39
GBD
"TRF" Member

They do look nice, but 904L is not unique or proprietary. Other brands use it as well.
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:44 AM   #40
Majin Buu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust now
Great looking /useful watch!
I love mine !

@ PADI56 thanks for the information, very revealing to me !

Cheers !

J.
Majin Buu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:46 AM   #41
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Nice watch but there is nothing magical about 904L SS today it was mainly a brag factor and marketing by Rolex as several other companies use 904L SS in watches XOSKELETON for one. But in the real world 904L steel was developed to be used in high salt/acid factories like for instance vinegar pickling factories etc. Now the only difference between 904L and 316L is simply this, the main difference between 316L over 904L it has slightly more Molybdenum(Mo)approx 2% more, approx 1-2% more Crome (Cr), 1% copper(Cu), and approx 10% more nickel and that's it all quite cheap comodities. And far more 316L is sold than 904L, now if it was the other way round 904L would be cheaper than 316L.There are some disadvantages to 904L it will scratch and show scratches more easily than 316L.The only advantage is, its a bit more corrosion resistant, but in the real world with today's pampered watches its doubtful if any real advantage over the industry norm 316L. And the internet myth that 904L is harder than 316L its not,but its how the metal is tempered defines its over all hardness, so 316L can be harder than 904L.
I always was under the impression that the Rolex 904 was designed or specified to be a tad softer than 316 so as to be able to put the super high gloss shine on the polished areas.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote