The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 24 September 2024, 11:51 AM   #1
iten
"TRF" Member

5230P vs 5236P

Which watch would you get at retail from an AD.

I know they are very different watches, but I like them both.

I have seen the 5230P in person and I liked it a lot. However, people said I should go for the more complicated and newer 5330, which is not available to me.

For the 5236P, I don't have a perpetual in my collection yet. I always prefer more legible watches, so this is probably the perpetual that work best for me. However, I was also told the 5236 has a less polished movement? While I personally like simple elegance, the 5236 dial does look a bit too simple for a watch priced this high.
I haven't seen the new salmon dial yet, but I was told it's a lot more dull then then blue because it does not have the brush effect on it. But I also have many blue watches but zero salmon dial. Which brings the 5935A in to the discussion. People say the thickness compare to the 5230 makes it less elegant.

Pricing and timing is also a concern. Obviously the 5230 is discontinued, so it's now or never(from an AD) I like it, but I don't love it. For the perpetual, the longer I wait, the more expensive it will get (excluding opportunity cost). There is also a possibility of a G version in the future...

Would love to learn more of what people here thinks.
iten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2024, 01:33 PM   #2
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iten View Post
Which watch would you get at retail from an AD.

I know they are very different watches, but I like them both.

I have seen the 5230P in person and I liked it a lot. However, people said I should go for the more complicated and newer 5330, which is not available to me.

For the 5236P, I don't have a perpetual in my collection yet. I always prefer more legible watches, so this is probably the perpetual that work best for me. However, I was also told the 5236 has a less polished movement? While I personally like simple elegance, the 5236 dial does look a bit too simple for a watch priced this high.
I haven't seen the new salmon dial yet, but I was told it's a lot more dull then then blue because it does not have the brush effect on it. But I also have many blue watches but zero salmon dial. Which brings the 5935A in to the discussion. People say the thickness compare to the 5230 makes it less elegant.

Pricing and timing is also a concern. Obviously the 5230 is discontinued, so it's now or never(from an AD) I like it, but I don't love it. For the perpetual, the longer I wait, the more expensive it will get (excluding opportunity cost). There is also a possibility of a G version in the future...

Would love to learn more of what people here thinks.

If money matters I’d get the 5230 but can’t go wrong with either - both are lovely watches. May I ask why would you spend 30-40% at an AD?5230 can be had for less than 60k and 5236p probably slightly over a 100k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2024, 02:16 PM   #3
iten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
If money matters I’d get the 5230 but can’t go wrong with either - both are lovely watches. May I ask why would you spend 30-40% at an AD?5230 can be had for less than 60k and 5236p probably slightly over a 100k.

My old AD is useless, and I am trying to start a relationship with a new one.

I don't have unlimited resources, but I can afford any one of the watches I mentioned.

I am looking at a world-timer because it's just very distinctively Patek.

I am looking at the 5236 simply because I don't have a perpetual yet.

The only other watch that I like from the existing catalogue is the 5224R, but I don't think this watch would be in fashion after a while. I also have a couple rosegold x blue dial watches already.

So my options are really 5230P/5395A/5236P(blue or salmon).
Old 24 September 2024, 08:12 PM   #4
ts3
"TRF" Member

5230P for me by a mile.

Not a fan of the 5236 with its large empty dial which is also too large a dress watch for many wrists including mine. I appreciate the effort they put into making this simple PC dial happen from a movement perspective. But I prefer the look of both the 3448/50 and the 3940 style PC dial layouts.

If you like simple elegance you should stay clear of 5935 IMO. That dial is busy and the printed "carbon" pattern looks cheap / off vs the guilloche of 5230P. Combining the "romantic" WT and sporty chrono complications is a weird choice IMO and I also prefer the smaller size and thinness of 5230P.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2024, 08:24 PM   #5
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
This beauty for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240924_182120_(700_x_900_pixel).jpg (284.3 KB, 118 views)
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2024, 10:09 AM   #6
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
5230P for me by a mile.

Not a fan of the 5236 with its large empty dial which is also too large a dress watch for many wrists including mine. I appreciate the effort they put into making this simple PC dial happen from a movement perspective. But I prefer the look of both the 3448/50 and the 3940 style PC dial layouts.

If you like simple elegance you should stay clear of 5935 IMO. That dial is busy and the printed "carbon" pattern looks cheap / off vs the guilloche of 5230P. Combining the "romantic" WT and sporty chrono complications is a weird choice IMO and I also prefer the smaller size and thinness of 5230P.

Agree 100%. The 5230p wins hands down for me. I own the 5230p, and I’ve tried on the 5236p several times. The 5236p dial is big and stark (albeit very pretty with the brushed blue dial). And its case is large and the lugs are long. Even on my decent sized 7 3/8” wrist, the watch wears too big. YMMV.

Adding a few pics, because it’s TRF.

Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM   #7
iten
"TRF" Member

Quote:

In this case, would the 5395A make sense?

I have not tried it yet, but its market value is much closer to retail then other models.

I also don't have a salmon dial watch yet.

I know we should never buy a watch based on its market value, but it's definitely a easier pill to swallow!

I want a steel sport watch eventually (I don't love them, but would like to have one in my collection), but I don't think getting a 5395 will move my profile at all. On the other hand, the 5230 will probably help, but not enough to get one of the hotter nautilus or aquanaut.

so let's say after seeing the watches in person, and I love them both, which one is a better buy?
Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM   #8
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I have not tried it yet, but its market value is much closer to retail then other models.

I know we should never buy a watch based on its market value, but it's definitely a easier pill to swallow!

I want a steel sport watch eventually (I don't love them, but would like to have one in my collection), but I don't think getting a 5395 will move my profile at all. On the other hand, the 5230 will probably help, but not enough to get one of the hotter nautilus or aquanaut.

so let's say after seeing the watches in person, and I love them both, which one is a better buy?
Get the watch you like better w/o trying to over-optimise things as there is no general answer / each AD is different.

Current market values should be irrelevant as you can't sell while trying to build a profile with a new AD. Several years down the road the market values could be very different. I for one think 5230P will receive more love long term but I may be wrong. Don't buy either 5230P or 5935A if you don't really love them. I'd have a frank conversation with the AD on how to get the Nautilus or Aquanaut you want. You could propose a bundle but in the end it may be better to go grey unless you have to have your name in the papers.

I'll leave it at that as there are too many variables.
Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM   #9
iten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Get the watch you like better w/o trying to over-optimise things as there is no general answer / each AD is different.

Current market values should be irrelevant as you can't sell while trying to build a profile with a new AD. Several years down the road the market values could be very different. I for one think 5230P will receive more love long term but I may be wrong. Don't buy either 5230P or 5935A if you don't really love them. I'd have a frank conversation with the AD on how to get the Nautilus or Aquanaut you want. You could propose a bundle but in the end it may be better to go grey unless you have to have your name in the papers.

I'll leave it at that as there are too many variables.
I am not planning to sell. I only meant the price difference between the current market price and the MSRP, as someone actually asked me why I am not going grey.

I have seen the platinum in person and was impressed by its look. However, it was never a watch that I felt like I must have. Just like the nautilus, i don't feel like it's something I must have (I had that feeling for the 5212A, which I have acquired). However, they are both watches that I would like to have in my collection due to their significance.

My question is, if I am going to get a worldtimer regardless, and I end up liking both as much, what other factors should I consider? I just want a more comprehensive list of pros and cons.

5230P vs 5935A:
-hand guilloched dial vs pressed?
-Own multiple blue watches vs zero salmon watch in collection
-Platinum vs steel
-huge premium over market price vs. small premium over market price at AD
-Higher Price vs. Lower Price
-Discontinued vs in production
-simple vs more complicated movement
Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM   #10
ts3
"TRF" Member

Your list of pros and cons seems pretty comprehensive. On the movement side the 5935A is more complicated but IMO less pretty than the micro rotor movement of 5230P. Size and thickness are two more criteria I would have high on my list.
Old Today, 12:27 AM   #11
APhound
"TRF" Member

5236p is my vote. This is clearly very personal choice. I like the size of the 5236 and the legibility.
I was offered a 5231 a couple days ago and I planned to buy it but wound up passing and I’m totally over it- I couldn’t read the time and twice when I put it on my wrist i did it upside down lol even when I took a picture of it it was upside down.
My dad recently got the 5236 and I think it’s amazing.

APhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:37 AM   #12
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

agreed the 5395 is probably an easier pill to swallow in terms of value retention. But let's be honest - why do you want to work with an AD so bad? Do you want a trip to Geneva, MR and rarehandcrafts if the answer is yes you will need deep pockets and a buy a lot of watches. If you just want a nautilus or an aquanaut just buy it grey.
Old Today, 01:54 AM   #13
iten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
agreed the 5395 is probably an easier pill to swallow in terms of value retention. But let's be honest - why do you want to work with an AD so bad? Do you want a trip to Geneva, MR and rarehandcrafts if the answer is yes you will need deep pockets and a buy a lot of watches. If you just want a nautilus or an aquanaut just buy it grey.
It's for some personal reason that I best buy this one watch with the AD, so I want to buy a piece that will less likely make me regret it.
Old Today, 01:59 AM   #14
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's for some personal reason that I best buy this one watch with the AD, so I want to buy a piece that will less likely make me regret it.
got it - well then go with what you really want - can't go wrong with any of the choices. It's only a loss once you sell it :)
Old Today, 02:16 AM   #15
Vasco
"TRF" Member

From what I read, you may not have a deep experience with handling those watches (I may be wrong). My piece of advice to you is that you "must" go and see any watch you plan to purchase in the metal. The "real" experience may show very differently from pictures. Hence, your opinion may differ very significantly from what you read or what someone told you.

This is also a way to "discover" what we really like (believe me tastes evolve significantly in terms of watches, sometimes about aesthetics, sometimes about technical aspects).

No, the 5236's movement (31-260 base) doesn't have a less polished movement: have a look here for more details, it's just better on many levels than the still very nice 240: https://www.hightime-reviews.com/pat...-and-pictures/). It has a great movement and, as often with Patek, rebuilt to match the new destination (new QP display, energy optimisation, securities...).

Size is a personal matter. The 5230P is much smaller, thus perhaps be too small for a big wrist or perfect for a smaller one. The opposite being true for the 5236.

If you feel the 5236's dial looks too empty, it's a hint about what you may not like.

I would say the 5230P is a perfectly designed watch (color, proportions, etc...). The 5236 with its contrast between the blue dial (more interestingly decorated) and the shiny indices+hands looks more "dressy" maybe (because of the shine+contrast).

Both are fantastic watches and it will depend on the size limit you can enjoy before being annoyed and your attachment to complications vs aesthetics. Don't buy just because it's a QP, or more "complicated" like people told you.

This being said, I love the 5230P but I would personally choose the 5236P (price put aside). However, the price asked for the 5236P, is hard to justify, even more so if your consider value retention.

I haven't seen the 5236P salmon yet though I saw the 5320/5172 or 5270 salmon. It might be very interesting to see it before deciding.

The 5935(/5930) is sportier (5935 being bigger) for sure, very optimized movement (even more so in the 5930), based on the excellent 29-535. Very different type from the 5230. I would tend to feel the 5230 is more exceptional as there is no mistake to me, no flaw, it's a perfect version. But if you get bored by a smaller watch and the color doesn't suit your taste or you don't care about the function, then the 5935 may be the right choice.

Take your time and try to see them several times if you can.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:09 AM   #16
JMac6
"TRF" Member

Tough call, and I would try them on the wrist to see which one suits you better. The 5236P is a significantly larger watch - but horologically speaking it is far more interesting.

That said, I cannot imagine buying the 5236P at retail. Retail is $141,400, and you can factor in close to $10,000 in SALT. On the secondary market, I have seen new with box and papers as low as $88,500. A $60,000+ haircut on a $141,400 watch (i.e., 40%) is a tough pill to swallow. (This is why significant price increases are a bad idea).
JMac6 is offline   Reply With Quote