The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #241
Toivonen
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller Deepsea
Can someone shoot the page where are the latest? (Gold Deepsea, Deepsea Challenge…)?
Thank you!
https://www.facebook.com/bandadellavalvola/
http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=75294392
Toivonen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM   #242
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Ordered on the 17th.
Recieved yesterday morning.

The silk binding is quite luxurious especially in combination with the depressed and precise nature of the printing
Very classy and well executed i might add
Have to agree.

If you’re going to buy it, why not go all in for a few dollars more
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM   #243
David16610LV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
So the only discussion of this book's contents so far seems to be listed production numbers. Anything else of interest between the covers?
Yes, it is a very interesting book, or what I have read so far is (I'm about quarter of the way through). It doesn't go into technical details, (and this is pointed out), rather it focuses on why the Submariner and Sea Dweller were developed, the testing and some the shrewd marketing that went on to get people and organisations like the UK Admiralty to test it and then use their testimonials to promote it, and then ongoing development of various iterations of the Sub. Good information, drawn directly from the Rolex archive, including correspondence between Rolex and those involved outside the company.

Some very good photos to compliment the text, and of course right at the back the estimated production numbers for each reference and its variants - it is pointed out that the production numbers are estimates based on the Rolex archives, so perhaps not 100% accurate, but probably, given the source data, the most accurate around.
David16610LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #244
Xenophon

I had never heard about the Royal Navy involvement in testing prototypes in Loch Fyne. Having dived there enabled me to appreciate the conditions too. Testimonials from Sylvia Earle, David Doubilet, James Cameron and others. I think it's a good book but the nature is a bit of a puff piece and I could do without the James Bond and Hollywood stuff in it. The Blancpain Fifty Fathoms book is more dive oriented and I prefer it, to be honest
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #245
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
Quote:
Originally Posted by David16610LV View Post
Yes, it is a very interesting book, or what I have read so far is (I'm about quarter of the way through). It doesn't go into technical details, (and this is pointed out), rather it focuses on why the Submariner and Sea Dweller were developed, the testing and some the shrewd marketing that went on to get people and organisations like the UK Admiralty to test it and then use their testimonials to promote it, and then ongoing development of various iterations of the Sub. Good information, drawn directly from the Rolex archive, including correspondence between Rolex and those involved outside the company.

Some very good photos to compliment the text, and of course right at the back the estimated production numbers for each reference and its variants - it is pointed out that the production numbers are estimates based on the Rolex archives, so perhaps not 100% accurate, but probably, given the source data, the most accurate around.
Thanks

Still claiming the first waterproof watch with the 1920s Oyster and no mention of the Depollier waterproof watches of World War I, I suppose?
Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM   #246
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toivonen View Post
Can someone shoot the page where are the latest? (Gold Deepsea, Deepsea Challenge…)?
Thank you!
DeepSea Challange 126067 - 1298 watches

Gold DeapSea not available at the time of publication.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM   #247
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Just ordered. Looking forward to reading this.
White Collar Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM   #248
Tritto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks

Still claiming the first waterproof watch with the 1920s Oyster and no mention of the Depollier waterproof watches of World War I, I suppose?

Like the Explorer was the first watch to summit Everest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tritto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM   #249
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritto View Post
Like the Explorer was the first watch to summit Everest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...and Mercedes Gleitze swam the English Channel wearing a Rolex Oyster. The myths endure.
Old Yesterday, 11:25 PM   #250
Funkle
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
I had never heard about the Royal Navy involvement in testing prototypes in Loch Fyne. Having dived there enabled me to appreciate the conditions too. Testimonials from Sylvia Earle, David Doubilet, James Cameron and others. I think it's a good book but the nature is a bit of a puff piece and I could do without the James Bond and Hollywood stuff in it. The Blancpain Fifty Fathoms book is more dive oriented and I prefer it, to be honest
I'm concerned that it may read this way as well, but I'm going to give them my money anyway. Kind of like my feelings about the 'Ford vs Ferrari' movie. I would rather have sat through a 4 hour documentary that involved all of the things that would uninterest most movie viewers. I don't really care that 'James Bond' wore a Rolex! and to me, Steve McQueen wasn't an actor, he was a racer
Funkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM   #251
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Being an "authorised history" with the Rolex imprint, I suppose it was bound to be a glorified brochure, but it looks nicely put together anyway.
Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM   #252
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Being an "authorised history" with the Rolex imprint, I suppose it was bound to be a glorified brochure, but it looks nicely put together anyway.
Yes I get it

The silk bound version is beautifully crafted and a nice addition to anyone’s library IMHO.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote