The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old Yesterday, 12:59 AM   #31
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Carvings from Catalan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 460937482_18456412918031606_8636400885800495291_n.jpg (243.7 KB, 54 views)
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:04 AM   #32
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Heavy metal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240926_230348_(800_x_650_pixel).jpg (283.7 KB, 54 views)
Old Yesterday, 01:31 AM   #33
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Okay, it's time to trot out my very silly critique of being a fan of internal angles (keep in mind, I am also a fan). This is meant to stir thinking, but in a lighthearted way.

Ready?

Here goes: People who get obsessed with internal angles are like guys who get obsessed with women's underwear!

Why?

Internal angles are primarily a signifier, a stand-in for what we really want, which is genuine hand finishing and craftsmanship. Women's underwear is a stand-in for the women themselves. In either case, the signifier may be beautiful on its own. But it's better to be reminded of what it is that is the antecedent, primary value, be it the work of a craftswoman, or the affection of the craftswoman herself.

Today's silly post brought to you by my memory of reading an obituary of an English philosopher of ethics who also had a ladies' underwear fetish.

Keep in mind, with situations like Patek's abandonment of hand finishing (and the Geneva Seal, which requires it) in its lower and mid-tier models, a lack of internal angles is a very useful sign compared to, say, an entry level Breguet 5177, which keeps two internal angles as a sign for those who know. In other cases, it's not so useful! Consider the whole finishing and then consider finishing in the context of the whole watch!
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:38 AM   #34
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Root cause vs symptoms

Yes what you said make sense, but just can't help it.
Old Yesterday, 02:18 AM   #35
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Here goes: People who get obsessed with internal angles are like guys who get obsessed with women's underwear!
Hmmmm, yes there is a difference between Haines cotton 'daily beaters' and, dare i say, something special for the ladies made from handcrafted lace and fine silk. Sure the daily beater works, but may not be as alluring or feel special. Furthermore, and i asked my wife, that something special also brings more happiness.

Nothing wrong with my $300 Timex that looks a lot like a Patek Philippe (dial and style). Very accurate movement too, plus the Timex has a higher waterproof rating than ALL Patek timepieces. Why pay more?

But when you step up something like a RR, MB&F, etc, we know the reality of what is possible versus what is just passable back in the 1960s when the Marketing Campaign of Trinity somehow became folklure.

Quote:
Keep in mind, with situations like Patek's abandonment of hand finishing (and the Geneva Seal, which requires it) in its lower and mid-tier models, a lack of internal angles is a very useful sign compared to, say, an entry level Breguet 5177, which keeps two internal angles as a sign for those who know. In other cases, it's not so useful! Consider the whole finishing and then consider finishing in the context of the whole watch!
Agree, it is relative to the overall design and if higher-level true handcrafting is chosen over more machines. Obvious to anyone, let us not call certain brands as the best (Trinity or Horsemen). The 1960s is long gone, long live higher possibilities we have available today

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote