The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 January 2021, 03:20 AM   #31
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If you go with a TT, I would get one with an Arabic dial which are really cool and not available on the SS models. This would set the watch apart and make it special and not a compromise.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 03:23 AM   #32
logo
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on a TT Daytona as a daily wearer?

Not a Daytona, but I wear a TT DJ as my daily. To work with patients, in the research lab, in the office, to business meetings, at the beach, on vacation, in the mountains, at black tie events, doing home projects etc. It’s an all time classic and goes with anything. It will never, ever be displaced as my #1 watch. I would expect the Daytona to perform similarly for you. Don’t let the watch wear you, you wear the watch!

logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 04:13 AM   #33
HippoPAPAmus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Not a Daytona, but I wear a TT DJ as my daily. To work with patients, in the research lab, in the office, to business meetings, at the beach, on vacation, in the mountains, at black tie events, doing home projects etc. It’s an all time classic and goes with anything. It will never, ever be displaced as my #1 watch. I would expect the Daytona to perform similarly for you. Don’t let the watch wear you, you wear the watch!

This. Rolex watches are tough and 95% of what you might due to it can be taken care of with a light polish or at their first service. Insurance covers the other 5%. I had a daily rotation of a TT DJ and TT Sub for the better part of a decade. After service you wouldn’t know they weren’t brand new.

TT watches aren’t as popular as they once were, but they are coming back. Frankly with grey prices where they are I think it’s a little nuts to buy SS grey when you can get TT at MSRP relatively easily.

My suggestion: Buy the TT Daytona from a nice AD to start the relationship, get your name on the list for the SS, and enjoy the hell out of the TT until you get the call for the SS. When you get the call you can either a) expand your collection or b) sell the TT or at or near what you paid to fund the SS. I strongly suspect you’ll just add or pass though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HippoPAPAmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 04:24 AM   #34
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
TT Daytona, no thanks. Some TT's I like but for some reason the TT Daytona isn't one of them. For me the Daytona has to be either St. St. or full PM
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 04:33 AM   #35
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
every mile you put on a gt3 rs drops the value of it. there's also the comfort factor where it's actually impractical to drive it every day (in most places). a daytonas value will not go down the more you wear it, at least not from what history suggests, and i think it's safe to say almost every rolex is a comfortable daily wear. if it comes down to it being too flashy like a supercar is then it's a different story
Whether we're talking GT3's, or Two-Tone watches, then it's not about the depreciating value (to me at least), it's simply about keeping them in a good condition.
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 04:41 AM   #36
Combine man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leicaman View Post
I don’t understand why someone would buy a watch that they were scared to wear daily. If I had the money for a TT Daytona, I would definitely wear it everyday.
My sentiments,I wear a TT SD 24/7,yes it gets scratched, but I wore SS Subs for 30 years and they got scratched,but I enjoyed every time I looked at them,as I do the SD.
Have also worn G shocks for work and they don,t last as well or wash up as clean.
Built for more abuse than we will ever give them.
Combine man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 07:27 AM   #37
goodolejr
2024 Pledge Member

I'm generally against settling. Shoot for the moon.

However, you if absolutely cannot make an SS happen, get a TT with a unique dial configuration (i.e., one not available on the 520 or 500). The slate dial would be my first choice. Something about the color scheme comes together really well.

The panda dial looks great as well. Best of luck to you.
goodolejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 09:42 AM   #38
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't really consider the 116503 as a settling or compromise watch. For me personally getting something like a Speedmaster or BB Chrono when I really want a Daytona and hoping I'm just happy with that would be a placeholder watch. I've been in the hobby long enough that I agree with everyone that this never works out and I flip for a loss.

But the Daytona I consider a unique situation. Definitely if someone offered me a free brand newDaytona that I could never sell and asked me which one I'd want, I'd go Ceramic SS. But for me the overall enjoyment of a watch is not just the specific watch model itself, but also involves the circumstances behind the purchase, the purchase experience, and the "perceived" value I think I got. In a vacuum I'd prefer the SS, but in the real world where I'd be wearing a watch that I paid more than twice the MSRP for vs a watch I paid MSRP and still cost a decent amount less, this would definitely factor into my overall enjoyment. Hence why I'm confident I'd be just as happy with the TT as the SS for the Daytona.

My reservation is not with the idea that I may be settling but rather I guess if TT itself is too flashy/eye catching for casual wear. I'm not a person that really wants strangers noticing my watch.

Also, I asked this in another thread as well. But would the 116503 with the white dial be something that would enhance my chances of getting a Submariner Date from an AD as a "bundle" deal? That would also make it more likely I might get the 116503.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 04:42 PM   #39
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't really consider the 116503 as a settling or compromise watch. For me personally getting something like a Speedmaster or BB Chrono when I really want a Daytona and hoping I'm just happy with that would be a placeholder watch. I've been in the hobby long enough that I agree with everyone that this never works out and I flip for a loss.

But the Daytona I consider a unique situation. Definitely if someone offered me a free brand newDaytona that I could never sell and asked me which one I'd want, I'd go Ceramic SS. But for me the overall enjoyment of a watch is not just the specific watch model itself, but also involves the circumstances behind the purchase, the purchase experience, and the "perceived" value I think I got. In a vacuum I'd prefer the SS, but in the real world where I'd be wearing a watch that I paid more than twice the MSRP for vs a watch I paid MSRP and still cost a decent amount less, this would definitely factor into my overall enjoyment. Hence why I'm confident I'd be just as happy with the TT as the SS for the Daytona.

My reservation is not with the idea that I may be settling but rather I guess if TT itself is too flashy/eye catching for casual wear. I'm not a person that really wants strangers noticing my watch.

Also, I asked this in another thread as well. But would the 116503 with the white dial be something that would enhance my chances of getting a Submariner Date from an AD as a "bundle" deal? That would also make it more likely I might get the 116503.
You can probably get the Sub without a bundle, just a little waiting time.

If you find a dealer with a 116503 you can just say you want to buy this as a dressy piece and because XXX and have also been looking to add a Submariner for more robust use. If he would be so kind to add your interest to the list.

Should be no big deal, don't expect to walk out with both same day tho
Old 17 January 2021, 08:55 PM   #40
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
No one will notice.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 09:26 PM   #41
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Fortunately nobody looks and even less cares. Just think of all the people that run around with those gold plated fashion watches. Trust me/us, nobody pays attention. You could walk around with a YG Day-Date and nobody would even glance down
Old 17 January 2021, 09:33 PM   #42
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
I finally sold my Daytona 116523 TT. After five years of ownership it was not getting used at all. Too flashy for work and too much attention getting. It is also small. I tried to tone it down but TT watches are hard to match with a strap and believe me I tried everything in the market - rubber b, Everest, custom, ABP you name it.

I got a Sky dweller WG on strap to replace the Daytona and I could not be happier.
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 11:38 PM   #43
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Here’s a tip: You’ll Worry Less About What People Think of You When You Realize How Seldom They Do
Old 17 January 2021, 11:44 PM   #44
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS SkyD
Quote:
SS Daytona has always been my grail, but obviously I'm not getting one through an AD. Grey market prices have gotten uncomfortably too high. These factors are conspiring to make me consider the TT Daytona with white dial, which is the only TT configuration I like.

If I were to acquire any Daytona, it would not be to keep in the safe or even to wear in rotation. I would want to wear it as a daily in all situations. That's why I'm concerned about TT. I probably would have less reservations if I was planning on wearing it for specific situations, but I do wonder how it works as a daily.

I've attached a pic of me trying old an older one a while ago.
Don't do it. Like others have said you're compromising a lot. You'll end up selling it and losing money.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
cuibono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 06:36 AM   #45
talkingbollox
"TRF" Member

I know someone who has a late '90s TT Zenith Daytona owned from new. The watch is not keeping time at all, randomly stops, but he steadfastly refuses to send it in for a service, claiming that he's wearing it not for himself, but on show for other people! What mentality!?! In all other aspects he's not at all a flashy or attention seeking guy.
talkingbollox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 06:38 AM   #46
Crazy Canuck
"TRF" Member

Buy and wear what you like.
Crazy Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 07:11 AM   #47
bobby81
"TRF" Member

Quote:
SS Daytona has always been my grail, but obviously I'm not getting one through an AD. Grey market prices have gotten uncomfortably too high. These factors are conspiring to make me consider the TT Daytona with white dial, which is the only TT configuration I like.

If I were to acquire any Daytona, it would not be to keep in the safe or even to wear in rotation. I would want to wear it as a daily in all situations. That's why I'm concerned about TT. I probably would have less reservations if I was planning on wearing it for specific situations, but I do wonder how it works as a daily.

I've attached a pic of me trying old an older one a while ago.

I had the T/T Daytona with the White Dial & Gold Sub Dials reference 116503. But passing a Rolex AD in 2018 I just wanted to see what was on display, it was there I saw the T/T Daytona reference 116503 with the White MOP 8 Diamonds Dial & I knee I wanted this Watch. So I purchased it new in 2018 & I have worn it on a daily basis & it is still pristine. If you look after it, it will wear well. This is a photo of my Daytona which will be three years old on the 2/3/2018

bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 10:26 AM   #48
Big J
"TRF" Member

I have the two tone Daytona with the white dial. I’m not sure it’s a daily wearer. However it depends on what you do while wearing it.
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 10:54 AM   #49
Setarip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
My dad used to tell me, ‘son, if you go through life worrying what others think of what you wear or how you look, you’re gonna be miserable’.

I’ve found very people notice or care about what watch I wear. My DD 228235 gets less noticeable attention than my 116500LN.

But guess what, either way I don’t really care what others think if it’s too flashy or eye catching.

I don’t judge the guy who lives on the outskirts of town in a shotgun shack and drives a newer Cadillac. That’s his business.

Wear what you want when you want. Enjoy life.

Setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 11:51 AM   #50
Mike993
"TRF" Member

That is a beautiful timepiece.
Mike993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 09:00 AM   #51
mcjreston
Banned

I have a 116523 TT Daytona slate dial that I wear daily. I too was worried it would be too flashy but I've come to see that it really isn't. I've tried it with both the original Oyster band and a Rubber B. It looks great with both. Yeah, it gets a few scratches but so does my daily driver E46 M3. Can't enjoy things without a little risk. Prior to this I wore a 1987 16013 TT Datejust for 33 years so I am a bit biased for TT. Now my son has the 16013.
mcjreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 09:42 AM   #52
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
I'm not a fan of TT. In my collection, I only have the TT Rootbeer. I think TT would make it difficult to be a daily wear. The gold would make it too flashy. Hope this helps and good luck!
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 10:54 AM   #53
Milibrk@
"TRF" Member

any watch could be a daily wear
Milibrk@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:08 AM   #54
frank gama
"TRF" Member

My daily wearer for the last 15 years.
I rotate (TT datejust, TT SeaDweller, vintage Oyster, Vintage Omega, Seamaster300, Blacnpain villeret, MLC, Bell & Ross), but the daytona is my favourite and most comfortable watch, probably getting about 50% of wrist time.
These pics were taken just before it went for servicing (and polish) a few months ago. Its come back from servicing looking brand new again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg _D851571.jpeg (71.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg _D851577.jpeg (61.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg _D851585.jpeg (58.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg _D851586.jpeg (62.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg _D851593.jpeg (48.7 KB, 0 views)
Old Today, 09:45 AM   #55
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

The TT Daytona is a fine piece and there is no harm in daily use. All Daytona’s are special and should be enjoyed. Even if they are full gold , TT or SS….

Try it and see how it looks and feel's to you, later you can always move up or down.

There are a few in my rotation.

Cheers,
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:58 AM   #56
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSomething View Post
During Covid and being in lockdown mine hardly gets any wear. I wore it Christmas and NYE that's pretty much it.

With PCL and being TT I try only to wear it on 'occasions'. One reason is to avoid putting those daily marks on it, secondly to retain that novelty feeling of putting it on.

So many times I've worn a watch too often and it just becomes another watch. Didn't want to do that with this one.

I think the modern Daytona, with the completely polished case and PCL, is more a piece of jewelry than it is a watch. The earlier reference you showed there is much more applicable to be worn daily, specially if it already has a few buffs.

Here's mine:

spectacular looking watch!!