The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 02:26 AM   #1
parxuk
"TRF" Member

Swap Rolex 15210 for Omega Moonwatch

Hi. I'm a very long time lurker here and check the forum most days, but I think this is only my 2nd post.

I'm currently considering selling my Rolex 15210 and swapping it for a 2nd hand Omega Moonwatch (311.30.42.30.01.005).

The 15210 was my first Rolex purchased in 1996. I bought it because I wanted a Rolex, but couldn't afford anything else at the time and the wait for a Sub was quite a while even back then. 18 months later and I got my first real pay check and I was lucky enough to get the sub (16610) that I really wanted. The 15210 went back in the box and I haven't worn it for 26 years.

In the meantime as well as the sub, i've picked up an SD43 and 50th anniversary Polar Explorer, and I know the 15210 will never get any wrist time. Even for my skinny wrists the 34mm size just doesn't look right these days!

I've always fancied a chrono and like the simple look of the moonwatch. I know they are a manual wind which will take a bit of getting used, and also it has no date (which I will miss) but im sure I can do without.

I am based in the UK and know that Watchfinder have a couple in their Boutiques. I have seen a full set one for £4500 which seems a reasonable price. They are offering me £3150 on mine, so £1350 to change. Are Watchfinder good to deal with?

Does this seem like a sensible idea? I've had the watch so long part of me feels like it's a shame to let it go, but I genuinely haven't worn it for years, so what's the point in keeping it? I would be buying the Omega to use as a daily watch/beater.

This is maybe a silly post, but just wondering what others would do or have done. Will i regret it? Or is the Omega a great watch and worth the swap?

Thx for your thoughts
parxuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM   #2
Deep18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
If you don’t ever wear it, absolutely move on.
Deep18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM   #3
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I'd move on as well. I traded my 1st Rolex as well. No regrets
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM   #4
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

I would do the swap. Make sure you try on the Omega first, though.
gamingdoctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:32 AM   #5
Driver8
"TRF" Member

As others have said, if you aren't wearing your 15210 (and if it holds no sentimental value to you) then absolutely move it along. I've moved along countless watches over the years, including every "first" watch by every manufacturer I've ever owned. I never keep stuff I don't use.

The Moonwatch is a superb iconic piece, but as you say it's a no-date manual-wind, so it's very different to you 15210. Plus it's 42mm compared to 34mm.

Watchfinder are fine to deal with. Very professional and decent pieces.
Old Today, 12:44 AM   #6
Rocky Hockey
"TRF" Member

It makes sense to me. I’ve done this, indirectly. I have 6.70” wrist and sold my 15203 about 8 years ago. It was very nice but no longer had the wrist presence I was looking for.

I purchased the Omega ‘Moon Watch’ Speedy (the ‘Sapphire Sandwich’ version) about two years ago. 42mm. I love it! It’s just an altogether satisfying watch.

Note also, the 42mm Speedy somehow looks good on any size wrist IMHO. Oh, and it’s a strap monster.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rocky Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:36 AM   #7
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

Thinking about trading my 126900 AK for the new TT RG Speedy.
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:35 AM   #8
rohada
"TRF" Member

I'd make that swap all day every day, even if I were wearing the 15210 on a regular basis. For me, not much of a decision. I wish you well.