The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old Today, 02:05 AM   #1
watchman124
"TRF" Member

5740 AD Path

I've recently started thinking more about acquiring a 5740. I don't have a Patek AD relationship at the moment. But debating the merits of creating a relationship and working towards one or just going gray. What's the path towards a piece like a 5740 at retail? Is that 1/2 more expensive dressier pieces or is it more like 5/6 other pieces? I'm sure there will be other pieces I'd like to get in future but I hated dealing with AP at retail so much that I'm not sure I have the stomach to do it again with a different brand.

Any insights or purchase history journeys from others would be helpful.
watchman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:41 AM   #2
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Just 1 data point from a nobody, but I would go grey for that

I don't think the premium over MSRP on the secondary market is that bad compared to what you'd likely need to do starting fresh with an AD to get that allocation, and how many other bundles and pieces you'd need to absorb to get there likely outweighing that current market premium

The only outlier is if you truly desire to build and establish a connection with an AD over time to be one of those clients, likely a big spender, and open up opportunities for other desirable pieces, that may mean more to you than the delta between MSRP and grey market pricing on 5740

Just for me, I've never ever wanted an AD or SA's temperament to dictate whether I get the timepiece I want or not, and put that in someone else's hands, some AD's are even losing Patek status to factors outside of their control.. the price is dictated by supply and demand and either I can get it or I can't. The time convenience and "certainty" appeal to me, but I respect the other side of the equation fostering that relationship and being rewarded with that special piece you really want down the road
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:50 AM   #3
APhound
"TRF" Member

Grey is the way to go for that. It’s not that bad. Plus you can get it when the timing is right for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:05 AM   #4
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

My opinion:
If someone is genuinely engaged with the brand, go AD route and you’ll be happy whenever it leads
If someone is only looking for one particular watch, especially hard to get, go grey. By the time you reach the point where you are eligible for said watch, what if it is discontinued?
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:20 AM   #5
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
The road to a 5740 from AD is a long and expensive one with the ever looming possibility of that AD losing Patek IMO. If the 5740 is the only PP you really want, then going grey seems to be the direction.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:45 AM   #6
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

An AD will only receive a couple of these per year, if you’re lucky. It may also be discontinued whilst you’re waiting.

Go grey IMO.
Ubiquitous1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:51 AM   #7
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Another vote for grey.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:03 AM   #8
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek