The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM   #1
andreas0411
"TRF" Member

5711 vs 5712 better investment

Currently own a RO 15300st and a panda 116500LN and looking to complete the steel holy trinity.

Absolutely torn choosing between the 5711/1A-010 and 5712/1A-001.

Love the simplicity and stunning blue dial of the 5711 but also adore the elegance of the 5712 and respect the extra complications add-on.

Since 5711 has already been discontinued a few years back could we sy that prices are more settled, while the 5712 has the prospect of a price boost as soon as it is out of production? At a similar price point and having in mind that i am somehow indifferent between the two in terms of prefernce, which one do you believe is a better call in terms of long term investment? Not really interested in a scalp trade, talking about perception in terms of a 15-20 year timeframe.

Many thanks!
andreas0411 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM   #2
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
The better question is which do you enjoy more? No one knows the answer to what will happen down the line
Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM   #3
APhound
"TRF" Member

Just pick whichever you prefer, they won’t be that different. I like the 11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM   #4
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

With what you have I would go 5712. A time only AP, Chronograph Rolex and a Moonphase Patek. You are set for life.
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM   #5
andreas0411
"TRF" Member

waking up one day ready to pull the trigger on 12, waking the next sure that i prefer the 11. Guess you could call that some sort of bipolarity :|
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM   #6
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas0411 View Post
waking up one day ready to pull the trigger on 12, waking the next sure that i prefer the 11. Guess you could call that some sort of bipolarity :|
We all have it. lol
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
The 12 would more interest (for me) long term
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM   #8
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I'm one of those people who doesn't gel with the strong asymmetry of the 12. 5711 / 5740, marvellous.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM   #9
ts3
"TRF" Member

5711 vs 5712 better investment

Nobody can reasonably answer your question and it shouldn't be a factor. What you should do is wake up a few more times until you know which you like better.

In my case it was 5711 as I was confident I'd always like the look whereas I was less sure how well 5712 would stand the test of time for me personally.

As to future value you may want to assume these watches will be worth next to nothing in 20 years. If that thought gives you trouble I recommend staying clear altogether. After all there is not a small chance nobody will want a Nautilus two decades down the road no matter how hot they had been recently.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM   #10
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
Impossible to say future value of any watch. Therefore go with the one you like best and/ir fits best with you current collection. To me, the 5712 is uniquely Patek so that’s why I chose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM   #11
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
The 5712 for the complications and look. Not as simple as the 5711 but more interesting to me.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM   #12
Vasco
"TRF" Member

You won't get a reliable answer.

For quite some time in the 2010's the 5711/1A was priced on the secondary market as much or even higher than the 5712/1A. The latter seemed to have a discount that has reversed since. Why? Who knows.

The Aquanaut was neglected and Nautilus was already a strong asset in the collections in the 2010's. Since 2020, the Aquanaut is successful (the introduction of more complications, colors, etc... helped). That's new.

Gold > steal before 2010. Since, people have preferred steal over gold, especially for Nautilus and Aquanauts. Now gold is coming back even for sporty models as it's more a question of lifestyle than real sporty use.

Fads come and go, so do prices.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:04 AM   #13
GB-man

Watch: addiction issues
Both constitute a horrific long term investment.
Old Today, 12:11 AM   #14
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Both constitute a horrific long term investment.
This lol. If you’re making your decision based on investment viability: (a) it’s a bad decision given the opportunity cost of “real” investments like public equities, and (b) it’s an improper frame of reference for choosing between watches as a result.
Old Today, 12:51 AM   #15
Gelateria
"TRF" Member

In 15-20 years watches are seen as waste steel and will be worth next to nothing because of world wide economic collapse rendering luxury market in rubble. The days when patek SA beg you to buy their worthless aquanaut and nautilus will be back, hell with vengeance.
The end is nigh!
Gelateria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:56 AM   #16
andreas0411
"TRF" Member

Just to clarify that I am not making the purchase as an investment. And i am ofcourse fully aware that noone can guarantee future prices. What i said is that i like both references essentially equally and thus the perception of the community about the value of the two pieces that are currently priced very similarly might help me come to a decsion.

Value going to zero in a higher timeframe, although not probable imo, is something i am willing to risk. I will buy one nevertheless.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Tbh i am leaning towards 5712. Hopefully my next reply will be with a wristshot
Old Today, 01:06 AM   #17
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelateria View Post
In 15-20 years watches are seen as waste steel and will be worth next to nothing because of world wide economic collapse rendering luxury market in rubble. The days when patek SA beg you to buy their worthless aquanaut and nautilus will be back, hell with vengeance.
The end is nigh!
Watches may be described as jewellery, bought because they are beautiful in the eyes if the beholder, some buy to flex wealth, some because of the complex mechanism attractive of itself, others because they love watches. Only a few are deluded that they are investments or that the next generation will necessarily want or drool over them. Vintage watches are like antiques and mostly fade in favour along with fashion.

Watches may be objectively of little eternal value but who cares? Subjectively they are enjoyed for personal pleasure as markers of special times or occasions. Sadly, by your lights, everything in life must seem pointless.
Partekular is online now   Reply With Quote