The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM   #1
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Comparison pics 15550 vs Rolex watches?

Would love to see some wrist shots comparing the 37mm RO 15550 with other Rolex watches on the same wrist.

If you can post with wrist diameter, it’d be much appreciated!

Also I’ve been reading that the grey wears bigger. I’m very undecided between which color I’d like. The blue seems amazing but it being the darkest it seems it’ll wear the smallest. I like the grey and that it wears bigger, but also seems a bit monochrome. The ice blue is sweet, but seems a tad feminine.

Ps I’m a 7-7.25 wrist size.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM   #2
matthew P
"TRF" Member

Seven inch wrist

The grey does indeed wear larger than the blue IMO.

It’s also more influenced by the light and color of its surroundings
In direct light it lightens up light grey/ (almost light blue) , in indirect light it’s darker and has more contrast.

It’s very much a monochrome feel compared to the vibrant blue where the dial really stands out against the case.

With your wrist size you are going to have to want that smaller watch / vintage sizing feel.

I could wear the larger size but preferred the smaller feel like my 36mm explorer.

..Explorer, Spring Diver & APRO..
matthew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:48 AM   #3
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Much appreciated Matthew. I did a forum search and luckily saw the pictures you previously posted. I have a 36mm Explorer too which I like to wear, though I’d say it’s slightly on the small side.

Do you feel your RO wears just slightly bigger than your Explorer at 1mm larger? I’ve heard people say the 37mm RO wears like a 40mm GMT Master II. I’d love it if it wears closer to a GMT Master II than the Explorer 36
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:01 AM   #4
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
Much appreciated Matthew. I did a forum search and luckily saw the pictures you previously posted. I have a 36mm Explorer too which I like to wear, though I’d say it’s slightly on the small side.

Do you feel your RO wears just slightly bigger than your Explorer at 1mm larger? I’ve heard people say the 37mm RO wears like a 40mm GMT Master II. I’d love it if it wears closer to a GMT Master II than the Explorer 36
the 37mm RO wears much smaller than a GMT. it's somewhere in between a 36mm rolex and a daytona. if you want it to be closer to a 40mm sports rolex, a 38mm chrono is probably a better choice

i have a 15450 and here are some comparisons

huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:18 AM   #5
matthew P
"TRF" Member

Comparison pics 15550 vs Rolex watches?

It depends how you visualize size.

When i first try on a watch I’m looking at bracelet and case dimensions.
For my 7 inch wrist on a bracelet 48/40/20 are my sport watch “perfect dimensions”.

However once I own a watch I stop seeing the case and I start to gauge size based on dial opening.
For this reason my MKII explorer felt perfect in store but too large after extended ownership….. because of its all dial feel.
I ended up much preferring the 124270 explorer even though it’s a significantly smaller case and bracelet size…… the dial size just felt appropriate on wrist. Now that I’m used to the 36mm explorer I can’t wear the MKII explorer with out it feeling too large even through the case is perfect based on my “preferred numbers above”
A 5 digit submariner or GMT with a larger utility bezel is perfect ( same dial size as smaller explorer )

The 41mm APRO case size fits my wrist well and for a modern sport watch it’s a good look….. but to me it’s too much dial and not enough bracelet showing when on wrist.
To me it’s just looks out of proportion for my wrist and I’ve never wanted to buy one for that reason.
The 15450 always felt too small when I tried them on years ago ….. the smaller case and smaller dial made it an instant “no thanks”when on wrist .

The change in proportions for the 15550 peaked my interest and my preference change to the smaller explorer made it feel possible.
It is a smaller dial but the case does wear larger than the Explorer.
The dial however is still on the small size and a black or blue dial would likely look too small on wrist to me for my own wrist.
The grey dial however blends into the case visually with its monotone look and to me it’s the acceptable small watch V the too small sport watch that I felt with the blue dial 15550 and any of the 15450 models.

The grey 15550 feels feels more vintage / classically sized much like the smaller explorer , but to me it’s a good small watch for dressier / special occasion wear.
If you are looking for the daily wear modern sport watch feel the larger 41mm RO will likely feel better

Sadly the perfect size for me is the Jumbo….. the slightly larger case and broader bracelet balances out the visually smaller blue dial relative to the case size.

I’d highly recommend a couple of different extended seasons with the different sizes on wrist.
It takes a while to get used to either option when you are comparing them side by side.
I did that 4 times over the 9 months I waited to purchase and I will still nervous about the size when I pulled it out of its case for the first time at home after the purchase day.
In my mind I was expecting it to feel smaller so I was pleasantly happy when it felt larger than my explorer when I wore it out as an owner.

Wrist and mirror shot of the black dial 15500 ….. the watch is always loved but found “too much dial on wrist “
Old Today, 03:29 AM   #6
matthew P
"TRF" Member

Agree that the grey 38mm chronograph wears much closer to the GMT in real size, visual mass and style.

..Explorer, Spring Diver & APRO..