The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM   #91
kritameth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228238
I personally would not, but that’s me, you have to do what makes sense for you. Hypothetically, if the Meteorite Pepsi really is my ‘grail’, you’d have a near impossible time talking me off the ledge, especially with little/no cash outlay and to finally become a one-watch guy (you’ve likely already put a lot of thoughts into whether or not the Meteorite Pepsi fits into your lifestyle as an only watch). For me it would come down to the latter, one watch vs. collection, and the financial implications that comes along with each.

FWIW, I’m actually in a similar bind. Lots of sentimental value in my DD, Daytona, GMT, but I’m really tempted to “trade up” to a Patek 5270. Has to be one of the most impractical dailys I can think of – manual wind (but many people daily the Speedy so I’m sure it’d be fine) and 30m WR – but boy it sure is romantic dreaming about having my [semi-]grail and being done.
kritameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:34 AM   #92
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritameth View Post
I personally would not, but that’s me, you have to do what makes sense for you. Hypothetically, if the Meteorite Pepsi really is my ‘grail’, you’d have a near impossible time talking me off the ledge, especially with little/no cash outlay and to finally become a one-watch guy (you’ve likely already put a lot of thoughts into whether or not the Meteorite Pepsi fits into your lifestyle as an only watch). For me it would come down to the latter, one watch vs. collection, and the financial implications that comes along with each.

FWIW, I’m actually in a similar bind. Lots of sentimental value in my DD, Daytona, GMT, but I’m really tempted to “trade up” to a Patek 5270. Has to be one of the most impractical dailys I can think of – manual wind (but many people daily the Speedy so I’m sure it’d be fine) and 30m WR – but boy it sure is romantic dreaming about having my [semi-]grail and being done.
Hmm your DD, Daytona and GMT are very different to the 5270. I have a DD, GMT and Daytona and for a while considered an upgrade like this. Recently added a 5205G, my first Patek. I think it’s better to have variety.
Old Today, 12:44 AM   #93
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritameth View Post

A 5270 and a diver is a PERFECT two watch collection my friend. Could run that zero issue
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:47 AM   #94
Rolexforthewin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
It’s not different enough in my opinion, would not do that.
Exactly!
Rolexforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:49 AM   #95
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I'm in a similar boat.

I feel birth year 2499 and 6263 could be a perfect two watch collection. I could "accept" a minute repeater instead of 2499.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
A 5270 and a diver is a PERFECT two watch collection my friend. Could run that zero issue
SLWoodster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:56 AM   #96
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWoodster View Post
I'm in a similar boat.

I feel birth year 2499 and 6263 could be a perfect two watch collection. I could "accept" a minute repeater instead of 2499.
lol other guy is being realistic though. He’d be under $125k easy, including a Sub to wear in rougher situations. That’s an entirely probable scenario on TRF….and again, an actual super legit 2 watch collection. Bracelet black dial beater and a leather strap white dial perpetual chrono, doesn’t get better than that. It’s funny because I at one point wanted that EXACT two watch combo myself. But I’ve got to the point I feel weird having any timepiece worth more than $50k on my wrist. Hard pass in 2024 and the future with that.

Your pipe dream is closer to a cool 2mil
Old Today, 12:58 AM   #97
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
You need 2-3 watches, how you spread comes down to preference and lifestyle.

If you have 50k, maybe 40k on one and two 5k or maybe 4 12k watches.

More is not always practical, you have one wrist….
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:04 AM   #98
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
You need 2-3 watches, how you spread comes down to preference and lifestyle.

If you have 50k, maybe 40k on one and two 5k or maybe 4 12k watches.

More is not always practical, you have one wrist….
After a lot of years of bouncing back and forth, I’ve found this to be the best combo:

Diver
GMT
Chrono
Dress
Wildcard

5 watches is the perfect amount that covers all bases and keeps enough variety that you feel fresh. You could further minimize it down from 5 by taking away your wildcard or combining some things such as a 5170/5270 which covers dress/chrono, etc. Just my 2c. Some guys will shun me for this but I’m strongly of the opinion that anything more than 5 now is excess, and anything more than 10 is hoarding
Old Today, 04:59 AM   #99
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Just sell them all and get a Patek or a Lange. Rolex makes a great sports watch, but I think anytime you get over $30,000 you should just go to the next level and get a Patek, Lange or VC.
Wingman244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:03 AM   #100
sambb
"TRF" Member

do it if you can stick to one watch for the decades ahead... some can, many cant
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:05 AM   #101
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Go for it. If you are lusting after a grail and you dont have the money to add it. Sell what you got and buy it. Honestly you only NEED one watch.

The WG Meteorite GMT is a fantastic complication for every day wear and its WG so it will be easily worn daily too.

Im 100% for selling your collection and getting the 1 and done!
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:11 AM   #102
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

I admire one watch guys and I think the meteorite BLRO is incredible. Not being a Daytona fan how about swapping that and the BLRO for the meteorite?! Than you have a Submariner and meteorite GMT. To me, a perfect two watch como.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote