The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Today, 12:24 PM   #1
Purspl
"TRF" Member

Best rolex companion to an explorer for a two watch pair

Hello everyone

I'm looking for a second and final watch to join my explorer 40mm. I would like it to be a bit sportier and with some colour. The explorer is formal enough for me to wear with suits for work and it also does very well on weekends. But I am going to buy a second watch anyway.

I've looked at the Batman gmt, the Rootbeer gmt, the polar explorer 2, the starbucks sub, the green seamaster and a couple of planet oceans.

Anyone had similar decisions to make or have any thoughts on which model may best fit my bill? Thanks.
Purspl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:37 PM   #2
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Are you prepared to wear something that isn’t as low key as the Explorer? I ask because once you get used to an Explorer I as a daily, it’s pretty hard to like anything else. It’s light, comfortable and you can wear it without a care in the world.

The only other watch in my collection that comes close is the Explorer II 5-Digit.

Out of the ones you mentioned, I’d go with the green sub.
Old Today, 12:39 PM   #3
S54Mickey
"TRF" Member

I’m on the same boat as you. Purchased an Explorer 40mm earlier this year and I am now looking for my second watch. I’ve added my self to the list at my local AD for 126710GRNR. Let’s see what the future holds.
S54Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:44 PM   #4
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

A sub would compliment your explorer well.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:04 PM   #5
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Have you considered the Tudor Black Bay with the burgundy bezel? I bring this up only because my favorite Rolex is the Explorer 36 and I recently added a Black Bay 54 (at 37mm), which gets just as much wrist time.

Other option - though not sure it meets the "sporty" criteria - would be an OP41 in green.
Poodlopogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:04 PM   #6
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I have Explorers and Sea-Dwellers and I’ve never been happier with my watch array.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:10 PM   #7
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
One thing to consider is that if you get a watch with a date, then you might start relying on that and miss not having a date on the Explorer. I think a basic Speedy Pro and Explorer would make a great two-watch collection.
Old Today, 01:48 PM   #8
Purspl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
One thing to consider is that if you get a watch with a date, then you might start relying on that and miss not having a date on the Explorer. I think a basic Speedy Pro and Explorer would make a great two-watch collection.
That's a good point about the date, I can see that happening. I like the speedmaster but have decided against it as I think it is too similar to the explorer - black, white and silver colour scheme. Every other watch I'm interested in has a date and I think it will be ok - helping to make it sufficient different to the explorer.
Old Today, 01:52 PM   #9
Purspl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlopogus View Post
Have you considered the Tudor Black Bay with the burgundy bezel? I bring this up only because my favorite Rolex is the Explorer 36 and I recently added a Black Bay 54 (at 37mm), which gets just as much wrist time.

Other option - though not sure it meets the "sporty" criteria - would be an OP41 in green.
Hi, thanks for the ideas. I don't think I will go for an OP in any colour as I view it as overall too similar to the explorer.

The tudor watches do look nice, and I'm probably wrong, but my feeling is they are too similar to rolex designs, but without actually being Rolex. My current feeling is I'd rather just wait and get the rolex. I might go and check them out in a store though.
Old Today, 01:53 PM   #10
Purspl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S54Mickey View Post
I’m on the same boat as you. Purchased an Explorer 40mm earlier this year and I am now looking for my second watch. I’ve added my self to the list at my local AD for 126710GRNR. Let’s see what the future holds.
Hi, I think that is a very handsome watch but lacking a bit of colour for me. It does have a green hand though doesn't it. Hope you get it soon!
Old Today, 01:57 PM   #11
Purspl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
Are you prepared to wear something that isn’t as low key as the Explorer? I ask because once you get used to an Explorer I as a daily, it’s pretty hard to like anything else. It’s light, comfortable and you can wear it without a care in the world.

The only other watch in my collection that comes close is the Explorer II 5-Digit.

Out of the ones you mentioned, I’d go with the green sub.
Good points, the explorer is comfortable and under the radar. It's pure class really. I am quite keen on the green bezel sub and can imagine wearing it in lots of situations. Wonder how possible it is to get it.
Old Today, 02:06 PM   #12
Purspl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Good point about the date. But I think I would just have to deal with that as every other watch I like has a date. I think the speedmaster is great but basically too similar to the explorer - black white and silver colour scheme.
Old Today, 03:10 PM   #13
Jprocs24
"TRF" Member

I got my Explorer II with the polar dial first and added the 40mm Explorer a year later. I find they compliment eachother very well in the collection, opposites in just about everything other than name.
Jprocs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:33 PM   #14
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
It all depends on your budget. I’d go for a yellow gold sub with blue dial but like I said it’s dependent on how much you want to spend
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote