The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old Today, 12:01 AM   #1
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
Certificate of Origin does not match watch. Off by 1 digit

Hi All, I wanted to get some opinions on this predicament I'm in. I purchased a Patek 3802 about a month ago and I was very happy with the purchase and the watch is in great condition. I have another post with detailed pictures if you're curious to see the watch which came as a full set.

It was running slow, which was expected and I sent the watch to the Patek service center in New York for a routine service. The movement number and case number on their service estimate does not match the certificate of origin and it is off by just one digit. The service estimate shows 3xxxx96/4xxxx32 while the certificate of origin shows 3xxxx97/4xxxx33. I asked Patek to confirm they wrote the numbers down properly on the estimate and they had their watchmaker open the watch again and double check. They confirmed the numbers on the watch do not match the certificate of origin and it is off by just that last digit.

Since it's only off by one digit I think there must have been a mix up at the time the watch was originally sold. I do like the watch and it's in great condition. However, the fact the certificate of origin does not match the watch significantly affects the value.

I contacted the seller and asked for a partial refund and I'm waiting to hear back. Honestly, I think I would prefer to have a partial refund and keep the watch. Patek confirmed the watch is genuine so there's no issues with the watch itself.

The Ebay authentication card does match the certificate but I'm assuming they just copied the number from the listing and didn't actually check it against the watch. I have to believe Patek over the Ebay authentication.

I'm trying to come to the best solution with the seller and I have not moved forward with the service yet until I hear back from them.

I'm curious how the seller will respond. I think the value is affected by about $1k. Any thoughts from the group?
pk552502 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:43 AM   #2
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

If Patek issues the wrong certificate of origin when selling the watch couldnt they exceptionally issue the correct certificate?
ChetBaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:16 AM   #3
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
If Patek issues the wrong certificate of origin when selling the watch couldnt they exceptionally issue the correct certificate?
The rep had asked me to send some pictures of the certificate when I first noticed the discrepancy. Then a couple days later they confirmed the numbers don't match. On the phone I asked if it was possible the wrong certificate was issued upon original purchase and could they investigate that possibility further. She basically said the distributor is responsible for issuing the certificate and they wouldn't investigate further since I wasn't the original purchaser. She never indicated anything looked off about the certificate.

I'll probably just keep the watch and hope to receive a partial refund for my troubles. It stinks though to have a full set with an asterisk.
pk552502 is online now   Reply With Quote