The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM   #31
TomWambsgans
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsking View Post
You can get one on 47th street for 12k , same condition
There's no 47th street near me!
TomWambsgans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM   #32
springer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
My advice would be to forget the 18238. I was hung up on the double quick set model at one time and then, one day it hit me. I sure as hell don't need a model with a quick-set day feature. Why? Because I rarely, if ever, wake up in the morning and not know what day it is.

While it is nice to have the quick-set date feature, I realized the quick-set day feature was unnecessary and not a requirement when looking to purchase my next Day-Date.

I also realized that an 18038 model is significantly less expensive than the 18238 model which is an added bonus.

So, I set out to find a nice 18038 which I eventually found. It was a super nice, a one owner model and was recently service by Rolex. Additionally it had the very rare black pyramid dial that really had a nice nice. This would be my second pyramid dialed Day-Date, the first one having the creme dial which is much more common.

So, that's my advice, take it or leave it. Good luck with the hunt and enjoy whatever you decide. jP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modifiedsm..jpg (111.1 KB, 22 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM   #33
springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWambsgans View Post
Thanks all for the feedback. I don't know whether the watch is unpolished but I assume it is and the bracelet looks pretty good to my admittedly untrained eye.

Comparison shopping for similar-ish watches, I found similarly high prices for unpolished watches being sold without box/papers, which made me view this one as priced on the high end of the band, but not absurdly.

1. 18038, tapestry dial. Unpolished. No box, no papers. $22k.

2. 18238, black dial. Unpolished. No box, no papers. $25k.

3. 18238, champagne dial. Presumably polished, no word on bracelet, no box, no papers. Three on this site (Bob's) at this price in this configuration. $18k.

Etc.

I'll propose a small discount to the dealer tomorrow and see what that gets me.
Wind Vintage is out-of-touch with market prices. Way over-priced.

Pricing - Nice 18038 sets, $14,000-$16,000, nice 18238 sets $16,000-$18,000. Of course prices are based on condition, dial color, bracelet condition, type of dial and the link count. Watches with shorted links should have at least $300 per link deducted from the asking price and watches with excessively stretched bracelets should be avoided.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #34
TomWambsgans
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Wind Vintage is out-of-touch with market prices. Way over-priced.

Pricing - Nice 18038 sets, $14,000-$16,000, nice 18238 sets $16,000-$18,000. Of course prices are based on condition, dial color, bracelet condition, type of dial and the link count. Watches with shorted links should have at least $300 per link deducted from the asking price and watches with excessively stretched bracelets should be avoided.

Appreciate your advice. What about Bob's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
TomWambsgans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM   #35
springer

Quote:
Appreciate your advice. What about Bob's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
There are plenty of reviews for Bob's on the forum. Try the Who's Who section and the Watchout section.

Below is a starter thread for you.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=bobs

Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM   #36
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

I certainly haven’t been following the markets lately, and I don’t know what data this is relying on, but the 57% number for one month seems … extreme.

That would be roughly $11K to $17K, so … maybe?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2845.jpeg (140.2 KB, 11 views)
miamiclay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM   #37
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I like the first one, it will clean up very nice.
Gladly pay more for a nice example like that one.
Deciding on price and accepting lesser quality is a sure way to get buyers remorse
Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM   #38
EverCloserUnion
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DateJust 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclay View Post
I certainly haven’t been following the markets lately, and I don’t know what data this is relying on, but the 57% number for one month seems … extreme.

That would be roughly $11K to $17K, so … maybe?
To me, volatility like that would suggest a small sample size: a small number of sales and a few very high value variants (or models with some incredible provenance) shifting the MoM figures wildly.
EverCloserUnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #39
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks all for the feedback. I don't know whether the watch is unpolished but I assume it is and the bracelet looks pretty good to my admittedly untrained eye.

Comparison shopping for similar-ish watches, I found similarly high prices for unpolished watches being sold without box/papers, which made me view this one as priced on the high end of the band, but not absurdly.

1. 18038, tapestry dial. Unpolished. No box, no papers. $22k.

2. 18238, black dial. Unpolished. No box, no papers. $25k.

3. 18238, champagne dial. Presumably polished, no word on bracelet, no box, no papers. Three on this site (Bob's) at this price in this configuration. $18k.

Etc.

I'll propose a small discount to the dealer tomorrow and see what that gets me.
those prices are ridiculous and all 3 are in poor condition, i wouldn't even entertain pursuing any of them personally. also, as for bobs, i would never buy a vintage watch off them without seeing it in person. they always overpolish everything

like i mentioned before, reach out to Jacek at https://tropicalwatch.com/. for these kinds of watches it's much better to deal with dealers that specialize in them, you might have to wait a bit but he'll get you a mint example for 15-17k. patience is everything with vintage watches because that market is a minefield and you don't know what to look out for because you can't just compare listings to the rolex website. it's a very easy market to screw up a purchase in and have regrets (speaking from experience)

just scroll through the 18238s that were recently sold and you'll see the ones he deals with are in amazing condition and night and day compared to the ones above, and at fair prices - https://tropicalwatch.com/watches/search?q=18238
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:00 AM   #40
Phrank

Watch: ♕
Good luck on your hunt OP, here's my Rolex Day-Date 18238, A-Serial, 1999, silver dial. Took me a long time to find a "safe Queen".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex_DayDate_427019-2.jpg (142.7 KB, 0 views)
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote