The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #121
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander C. View Post
Why is colored lume bad just because it is similar to a color that some older lumes aged into? My understanding is that new lumes don't change color as they age, so if you want your lume to be blue or green or beige or orange or whatever, you have to apply color to the lume. I don't get why that is considered by some to be a bad thing; it's just a design choice. And here, I think the colored lume makes the watch look better than if the watch was only black and white, just like IMO the true FOIS watches looked better once their lume aged away from white.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM   #122
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post
Apologies guys, I am no mystro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the photos. You seem to be enjoying it!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM   #123
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG89 View Post
Picked mine up yesterday, from Regent St boutique also…

It’s a stunning watch. I went in a few days ago to try and make my mind up on the hesalite moonwatch and the white dial - neither were exactly what I wanted.

I love the look of hesalite but not a fan of the crystal scratching over the long term.
This watch has combined elements I love in from a lot of different speedy’s. I love alpha hands, I love a lot the EW does (although not a fan of the open caseback on it nor the ceramic bezel insert).
I would like an EW very much but struggle with the price, even more so now is almost half RRP - I think you’re getting so much value here.

This seems to tick pretty much every box for me, I think it could be the perfect watch. Understand how people feel about the fauxtina but I simply see this as a design element, much like the blue lume used on the summer blues.

Can’t wait to see what this looks like on different straps and when it starts to wear a few scratches.

The dial is stunning - in most lights it’s an ‘off black’ the blue/grey tone is really subtle.

In low light this watch is stunning, the alpha hands really shine and it’s the closest it comes to appearing like a vintage watch imo.

Will get some better photos over the coming days, for now I’m a happy happy

Congratulations!

I’m looking forward to seeing it on different straps. For sure buying it on the bracelet is the way to go.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM   #124
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Thank you sir - you won’t be disappointed. I’ve previously owned the Ed white for 2.5 years and loved it, but due to changes in family life etc needed to rationalise the collection so it went as the most expensive piece.

What they are offering here for half the price is pretty great. It’s not a 321 - that has a historical significance that this watch would never have, But to all intents and purposes it’s very similar - same case, same bracelet, same finish. Slight dial, hand, bezel differences and of course the movement.

The domed crystal is superb, the dial is very slightly sunburst but I like it due to the fact it’s more glossy than Matt. The alpha hands are great, but as anyone who has owned an Alfa or broad arrow piece will know the legibility in low light is not as great as the white batons - doesn’t bother me, a flick of the wrist sorts that out.

Lastly, the lume. I honestly get the fautina comments, but actually it works here. Yes, it’s quite dark and in a perfect world I’d like it in the same shade as the E/W but it works really well with the dial and is no issue to me. I’ve yet to see it in daylight as when I bought it, it was beginning to get dark, so am looking forward to that.

At the price of £7,400 I think this is pretty reasonable value all told. I know that it’s a lot of money and I’m not disputing that, but it’s a lot of watch too and I think will be a real good seller for Omega. When you compare what other brands are offering at the same price, it really does make a case for itself.

All in all, I love it and for anyone who has less emotional attachment with the 321 movement, you can get a very similar watch at a more palatable price point. Nothing not to like here.
Damn, I didn’t realize you sold the EW … I know how much you loved that reference.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM   #125
brandrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post

Congratulations :clap, it’s a great looking reference.
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM   #126
brandrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onequik135i View Post
If I didn’t own a EW 321 already, I would be at my OB purchasing this new release. Beautiful timepiece.
That’s sort of where I’m at with this one, although if I have a weak moment you never know
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM   #127
brandrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Boutique told me if I wanted one, I could have it in one or two weeks. I might take them up on their offer.
Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM   #128
brandrea

Quote:
On my way in to pick up. All being well have some photos later. Couldn’t resist this one.
Congratulations Steve

I’m glad to see you landed one and happy to see Omega getting these out so quickly to the watch community
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #129
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Congratulations Steve

I’m glad to see you landed one and happy to see Omega getting these out so quickly to the watch community
Thanks Brian - yep, omega did a good job getting these out. Great to have one, it’s got a lot going for it.
Stevec14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM   #130
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good reviews.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM   #131
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Thanks Brian - yep, omega did a good job getting these out. Great to have one, it’s got a lot going for it.

Congrats buddy Steveo!!

Going to the boutique today to take a look!
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM   #132
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post
Congrats buddy Steveo!!

Going to the boutique today to take a look!
Cheers Fred - good to get your thoughts on it.
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM   #133
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Damn, I didn’t realize you sold the EW … I know how much you loved that reference.
Hey Brian - yep, I had a few expenses that needed to be prioritised. At the end of the day they are luxuries that we are lucky to be able to buy. But when I saw this, it was an opportunity to plug the gap a bit.
Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM   #134
brandrea

Quote:
Hey Brian - yep, I had a few expenses that needed to be prioritised. At the end of the day they are luxuries that we are lucky to be able to buy. But when I saw this, it was an opportunity to plug the gap a bit.

Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM   #135
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Here is a video with pretty accurate colors.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/DAvOh...Jrb3NiajMzODVi

I do like it better in that video than other photos I've seen. Still can't get past the faux patina. But pretty watch overall.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:24 AM   #136
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I do like it better in that video than other photos I've seen. Still can't get past the faux patina. But pretty watch overall.

Same here with regard to the lume. Love everything about the watch but that, but it is growing on me…

L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:02 AM   #137
EL Diablo
"TRF" Member

Saw it person last night... Really liked everything about this piece. Wears nice at just under 40mm

The blue/grey dial looks great. 3 link bracelet is perfect. The Faux patina is just a cool
contrasting color to me that gives the watch a vintage vibe.

I put my deposit down and expect to have mine in the next couple of weeks.
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:45 AM   #138
HamishHorologie
"TRF" Member

Can't wait to see it in person!
HamishHorologie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:48 AM   #139
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
One mans Faux Patina is another mans burnt orange markers that go extremely well with a dark blue grey dial.

Have a look at it and you never know.
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:14 AM   #140
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Some pics taken this evening. Not taken any outside yet however. It’s not the easiest watch to photo!

Old Today, 06:30 AM   #141
logo
"TRF" Member

Looks really nice. One does have to wonder a bit what the long term 321 strategy is for Omega given this new FOIS release is so similar.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:38 AM   #142
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Looks really nice. One does have to wonder a bit what the long term 321 strategy is for Omega given this new FOIS release is so similar.

Given they probably produce maybe around 1000 or so steel 321’s a year, I suspect it won’t change much. I do wonder if they’ll do a steel 42mm 321 (non platinum) at some point too so have the 3861 references, top end steel references in both cases and then the precious metal versions.

Any drop in EW demand due to the FOIS would be mopped up by those who’d be happy for a top end steel 321 in the professional case.

Old Today, 06:48 AM   #143
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Am I the only one who thinks the lume on the hour hand does not match the lume on the minute hand? The differential makes the watch look really unbalanced.
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune/Lava
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:13 AM   #144
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
That’s a very good question.

It is quite clear that Omega didn’t want to put the 321 movement in the FOiS, which makes sense as (1) Omega made a huge noise around the uniqueness of the 321 (even though it used to be a workhorse movement) and (2) it is much cheaper and more efficient for Omega to crank out the 3861.

Notwithstanding all of that, the FOiS does look quite similar to the 321. Especially to the casual observer (comparing it to my 321 reveals a number of differences, but to the casual observer they are similar).

Both watches can easily co-exist, even in a collection, and I doubt Omega plans to discontinue the 321…

…unless, the equilibrium between demand for the 321 (which was never that high as it is more of an enthusiast’s watch that, to the casual observer again, ‘looks similar’ to the 3861 s.sandwich, and costs a pretty penny for most) has caught up with the limited supply of 321 movements made (allegedly between 1,000-2,000 pa).

That is possible …unlike the Silver Snoopy, which easily stands out and has significantly higher demand than the 321, the Ed White was also more of a niche product.

It has also become easier to get them from the OB in SOME markets, so maybe that equilibrium has been achieved/almost achieved.

That said, both the 321 EW and the FoIS are nice watches. I know which one I prefer (and that is not personal bias because I own the 321- the EW is simply a different level), but the FOiS is still a really nice watch that has most of the visual cues of the EW and (importantly) will be readily accessible at a price cheaper than the s.sandwich.

Really great move by Omega, and the Speedmaster line really have some amazing and accessible steel watches - the s.sandwich, the hesalite, the white dial, and now the FOiS.

All of them really beautiful and capable watches, and with the lineup including watches that can act as ‘sort of’ analogues to harder to acquire and/or expensive watches. What I mean by this is that the white dial has taken for the pressure for some to get the Silver Snoopy, and the FOiS has done the same for the 321 EW.

Omega has been doing great things lately.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:25 AM   #145
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

New FOIS released

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the lume on the hour hand does not match the lume on the minute hand? The differential makes the watch look really unbalanced.

Saw it in person yesterday. There’s almost no lume on the minute hand, just a very thin line, but what was there was the same color as what’s on the hour hand.

I did not look at it in the dark, but I can’t imagine that the very thin line of lume on the minute hand is visible in a meaningful way. Perhaps someone with the watch can take some pics of it in the dark.

The more a look at this watch, the more I really just like the dial. The dial is the real draw. Put that dial on the sapphire sandwich and I’m a buyer.

Old Today, 07:31 AM   #146
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Even though they talk about having limited capacity to produce the 321 movement, I suspect they make quite a bit of money on it.

It’s more expensive produce, but does it really cost $7k more to produce? I doubt it. Have a feeling the margin on the Ed White is substantial.

Old Today, 07:40 AM   #147
brandrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_S_SHOE View Post
Even though they talk about having limited capacity to produce the 321 movement, I suspect they make quite a bit of money on it.

It’s more expensive produce, but does it really cost $7k more to produce? I doubt it. Have a feeling the margin on the Ed White is substantial.

It’s impossible for any of us to say, but I’m guessing it does in fact cost considerably more to make the 321 movement.

If you use other lemania based chronographs in say Pateks to compare, it’s not hard to justify the price point
Old Today, 08:25 AM   #148
DTNSS
"TRF" Member

DTNSS is online now   Reply With Quote