The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old Today, 07:30 PM   #1
tv.classical
"TRF" Member

Omega Seamaster Ploprof 1200m Review

1. Brand, Model Name
Omega, Seamaster Professional Ploprof 1200m

2. Specifications (some key features)
Case Diameter: 55 x 48 mm
Lug to lug: 48 mm
Water Resistance: 1200m / 4000ft
Case Thickness: 18.3 mm
Width Between Horns: 23 mm
Case: Titanium
Power Reserve: 60 hours
Movement: cal. 8912

3. Purchase Motivation and Process
I was debating between this and the Ultra Deep, but I felt it wouldn’t be right to buy this dive watch without seeing the Ultra Deep in person first, so I held off. After seeing the Ultra Deep in person, I realized it overlapped with the Planet Ocean model I already owned, which led me to purchase the Ploprof. The case design is different from other Omega dive watches.

I was drawn to the three-hand layout and the playful color harmony between the dial and bezel, which ultimately made me buy it.

4. Personal Evaluation
■ Titanium Material
The original Ploprof was released in steel, making it quite heavy, but this one is made of Grade 2 titanium. It feels solid but lighter than expected. The entire watch is made of titanium—the bracelet and the buckle too.

The buckle is heavy and bulky. It opens by pressing two buttons on each side. Like the Omega Planet Ocean or the Sea-Dweller, it has an extension option, allowing for bracelet adjustment. It’s easy to adjust but won’t loosen—it feels secure, almost like handcuffs that you can tighten but must press the pushers to release. This makes it ideal for wearing over a diving suit without easily coming undone.

If you’re considering buying the Ploprof, I’d recommend the titanium version over the steel one.

■ Shark-Proof Bracelet
The strap setup includes both rubber and a two-piece bracelet. The rubber strap was cut and fitted, while the bracelet is adjustable depending on wrist size. I suspect this feature is why the watch is called “PLOPROF.”

-The name Ploprof is derived from the French word “Plongeur Professionnel”, which means “professional diver”.-

The bracelet has a chainmail-like design, which is “Shark Proof.” This material was used in diving suits designed to withstand shark bites. I’m not sure if it’s still used today, but think of it as chainmail armor.

It’s very flexible and surprisingly comfortable to wear.

■ Movement
The movement is the Co-Axial 8912, certified as a Master Chronometer. The Co-Axial movement is one of Omega’s greatest strengths.

If you register your watch on the Omega website, you can check the results of the Master Chronometer tests. iPhone users can use a dedicated app to verify the chronometer status through NFC.

On the left side is the crown. When you turn it, the crown guard fully detaches, and it’s a screw-down crown. Since there’s no date, it’s more convenient to wear. Pulling it out one notch allows for 1-hour increments for adjusting the time, and pulling it out further lets you adjust the minutes and hours. The first stage’s 1-hour jump feature is useful for quickly adjusting to different time zones when traveling.

Turning it down in the fully pressed position winds the watch. I find it a bit awkward to screw down the crown, possibly because I’m not left-handed, but switching to my right hand, I can push the guard slightly and twist the crown to lock it.

5. Conclusion
Unlike other dive watches, the bezel doesn’t turn freely. Many people think the orange button is for the helium escape valve, but pressing it allows the bezel to rotate in both directions. Once you release the button, the bezel locks into place, ensuring safety during dives by preventing accidental movement.

Although the size is 55mm, the dial feels smaller because of the thick bezel. The titanium model weighs 175g, making it lighter than expected and wearable. The buckle was a bit bulky for me, but once I switched to a pin buckle on the rubber strap, the comfort improved significantly.

If the large size is daunting, switchingto a setup like mine could make it easier and more enjoyable to wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ploprof-2-1536x1153.jpg (246.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ploprof_5-1-1536x864.jpg (196.5 KB, 0 views)
tv.classical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:02 PM   #2
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Terrific diver and one which stands out proudly.
I always like them, excellent review and photos!
Congratulations!
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:31 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Cool watch and great review. Thank you
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote