The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM   #151
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
If I were Omega, I’d have chosen the FOIS in Sedna gold and tropical brown dial, aged lume on leather with a 321, and for the steel would have had white lume and the modern omega logo to better align with the existing 3861 line. Give people the option of case shape, and the choice of modern or vintage inspired, with vintage styling like logos, dials, lume “age” being limited to 321 movement speedmasters (currently the new FOIS is the only piece that doesn’t conform to that).

logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM   #152
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Hey Brian - yep, I had a few expenses that needed to be prioritised. At the end of the day they are luxuries that we are lucky to be able to buy. But when I saw this, it was an opportunity to plug the gap a bit.
Hi Steve, have you still got your Snoopy 3?
ratty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM   #153
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Hi Steve, have you still got your Snoopy 3?

Nope- moved that on long ago as the bloody thing was unreadable when the hands went over the sub dials. So this is my only speedy currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevec14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM   #154
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks really nice. One does have to wonder a bit what the long term 321 strategy is for Omega given this new FOIS release is so similar.
I would still like to see a 321 in a professional case, the same as the model which Buzz was wearing on the moon.

I’m guessing that there would only be a very limited market for it, possibly similar to that for the current stainless 321, but I would be interested if one was made. I’m sure that this would ‘just’ involve re casing the current 321 into the Snoopy 3 case so shouldn’t be too difficult or costly, but I doubt Omega will ever do this.
Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM   #155
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Nope- moved that on long ago as the bloody thing was unreadable when the hands went over the sub dials. So this is my only speedy currently.

Ahh, OK.

I hope you get on with this new one better.
Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM   #156
ap1
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
I would still like to see a 321 in a professional case, the same as the model which Buzz was wearing on the moon.

I’m guessing that there would only be a very limited market for it, possibly similar to that for the current stainless 321, but I would be interested if one was made. I’m sure that this would ‘just’ involve re casing the current 321 into the Snoopy 3 case so shouldn’t be too difficult or costly, but I doubt Omega will ever do this.
You could always get the platinum 321……
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM   #157
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

You never know. Maybe they’ll might discontinue the EW and bring the professional case 321 on a significant anniversary.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM   #158
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You never know. Maybe they’ll might discontinue the EW and bring the professional case 321 on a significant anniversary.
That’s a possibility, but I doubt that there would be much of a market for such a model. After all, the only visible differences between it and a current moonwatch would be a different bracelet.
Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM   #159
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s a possibility, but I doubt that there would be much of a market for such a model. After all, the only visible differences between it and a current moonwatch would be a different bracelet.

I think there would be as much of a market as there is for the E/W - in fact maybe more as the professional case is usually more popular than the straight lugged ones.

I think it’s a natural next step for a steel 321 in the pro case

Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM   #160
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

This photo catches the blue dial.

DoricSpiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM   #161
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachopc View Post

Judge yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So looks like faux patina, just a lighter color. I'm not the one saying I don't like faux patina (I could take it or leave it)... your comment on your dislike was interesting is all since you like the EW.
gnuyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:12 AM   #162
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
So looks like faux patina, just a lighter color. I'm not the one saying I don't like faux patina (I could take it or leave it)... your comment on your dislike was interesting is all since you like the EW.
EW is not actually fauxtina - the original 105.003 from factory already had lume markers that were more yellow, which the modern EW has recreated.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:56 AM   #163
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post

The Ed White lume is more off white, which is isn’t far off the original. The new FOIS lume is practically brown. I still love the watch, but mostly the dial.

L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:18 AM   #164
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
EW is not actually fauxtina - the original 105.003 from factory already had lume markers that were more yellow, which the modern EW has recreated.
You said it "recreated." Whatever you want to call it, tinted lume, fauxtina... it's as aesthetic made to look like an older original that used Tritium. I'm not knocking it. Just pointing out that one can say they don't like faux patina, giving examples even, but with exceptions. It's a logical fallacy.

The same way the new FOIS is made to look like an older example with tinted lume, it's just much darker and one could argue works better with the sunburst blue/gray dial. I get that it's not for everyone.

Why can't we just enjoy these for what they are instead of bashing the aesthetic. And that includes the BB58 (as a given example), or the JLC Geophysic, or the Hamilton Khaki, or yes, even the Ed White. Everybody has their preference and it's all just watches and a choice. I think the Ed White is fantastic, but the straight lug case doesn't work for me. But I appreciate it for what it is, the same for the FOIS.
gnuyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:27 AM   #165
GolfJunkie

Watch: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post

This photo catches the blue dial.

Beautiful watch

This one is quickly growing on me. Haven't seen much talk of the thickness. It appears to be similar to a sub.

Can you post some pics looking down the wrist to show the height? I assume, like most Speedys, that the majority of the thickness is above the mid case.
Old Today, 01:29 AM   #166
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfJunkie View Post
Beautiful watch

This one is quickly growing on me. Haven't seen much talk of the thickness. It appears to be similar to a sub.

Can you post some pics looking down the wrist to show the height? I assume, like most Speedys, that the majority of the thickness is above the mid case.

Here you go - maybe these help. For the record it’s 13.4mm

Old Today, 02:38 AM   #167
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I don't like fauxtina but could make an exception here, might not be as much of a deal breaker I thought it'd be. I like this FOIS in pictures, very curious to see it IRL at the OB.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:59 AM   #168
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfJunkie View Post
Beautiful watch

Another one for good measure. It’s not thick. The domed crystal has height to it though.

Old Today, 03:07 AM   #169
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
I don't like fauxtina but could make an exception here, might not be as much of a deal breaker I thought it'd be. I like this FOIS in pictures, very curious to see it IRL at the OB.

The difference for me is the burnt orange actually looks nice against the blue dial. It’s not a watch that has faux ageing that then makes it look crap.
I think the watch looks more vintage on the strap. On the bracelet it will look like a modern watch to 99% of the population.
I would encourage everyone with a faux whatever complex to just try the watch out.