The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 October 2024, 03:53 AM   #91
chapmpe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverCloserUnion View Post
Agree. One of the great things about a Rolex is that you can ease yourself into the purchase by reminding yourself that your net worth isn't really shifting. As you say, that can't be said about GS or Omega in general.

Meanwhile, those who treat issues like net worth with disdain have the grey market to fall back on.
I agree with this too. If you can get some good stuff at retail you know your money is pretty safe even wearing them quite a bit down the road and you can find your next purchase. An omega or iwc you are at 40% off pretty easily if you hunt around a bit which makes a retail purchase tougher in my mind
chapmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:17 AM   #92
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I don't think asking prices tell the story. There are a staggering 958 116500's on Chrono24 right now, most are BNIB. If you want to know where the market really is, call 3 trusted sellers and try to sell your 116500. That will tell you everything you need to know about the market. My guess is dealers probably aren't paying much more than $20k for them. With that many for sale, if you're tying up cash in a watch with 958 comps for sale, you're not buying at what you think you can sell it for today and make money, you're buying at where you think the market will be in six months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari-F430 View Post
I'm still seeing $30K Panda's which is kind of surprising. It's a great watch, just wonder who's paying that right now..
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:17 AM   #93
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Is the return to normalcy imminent?

No.
Old Today, 09:35 AM   #94
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
I don't think asking prices tell the story. There are a staggering 958 116500's on Chrono24 right now, most are BNIB. If you want to know where the market really is, call 3 trusted sellers and try to sell your 116500. That will tell you everything you need to know about the market. My guess is dealers probably aren't paying much more than $20k for them. With that many for sale, if you're tying up cash in a watch with 958 comps for sale, you're not buying at what you think you can sell it for today and make money, you're buying at where you think the market will be in six months.
Panda buy rate is around $25k. Sell rate is around 26-27k
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:48 AM   #95
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
Unfortunately what is happening now is that the unsavory underbelly of society is now hip to Rolex and are targeting people for their watches. I am hearing more and more stories of muggings and home invasions for the purpose of stealing a Rolex. This issue alone will, in my opinion, kill the market. I have personally kind of lost interest in my small collection as I have to worry about it when leaving my house. More and more people are going to move on to something more stealth and that will kill the hype train for most if not all models. It is no fun to drive around in a nice car or wear a nice piece of jewelry if you are constantly watching your 6. Thief's now realize that there are actually people walking around with literally thousands of dollars worth of an easily sellable watch on their wrist, all they have to do is follow them and wait for the right opportunity to strike. No thanks.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:13 AM   #96
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgt3 View Post
Panda buy rate is around $25k. Sell rate is around 26-27k
This is correct. Add ~3k for 12 series white, or it’s the close to the same as above for 12 series black.

It is pretty accurate to get ‘real’ pricing by seeing legit buy offers. These people claiming it’s all a charade are being silly. People are still buying watches they don’t want if greys offer them $1k cash profit on top for a flip. The ‘normal’ will never return while this exists, and there’s a longggggg way to go before this would happen.
Old Today, 12:32 PM   #97
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
Unfortunately what is happening now is that the unsavory underbelly of society is now hip to Rolex and are targeting people for their watches. I am hearing more and more stories of muggings and home invasions for the purpose of stealing a Rolex. This issue alone will, in my opinion, kill the market. I have personally kind of lost interest in my small collection as I have to worry about it when leaving my house. More and more people are going to move on to something more stealth and that will kill the hype train for most if not all models. It is no fun to drive around in a nice car or wear a nice piece of jewelry if you are constantly watching your 6. Thief's now realize that there are actually people walking around with literally thousands of dollars worth of an easily sellable watch on their wrist, all they have to do is follow them and wait for the right opportunity to strike. No thanks.
In addition to the potential crime, it is so hard to get a Rolex these days, I am not liking the message it sends to have one...either a groveling brown noser at an AD or overpaying at a grey....it has driven me to consider other brands/types of watches. Anyone else feel this way?
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune/Lava
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:35 PM   #98
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Just done, holding what I’ve managed to buy and keep…
Old Today, 01:22 PM   #99
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
Yesterday, the news in LA showed a group of people swarming a 7-Eleven. They recorded themselves during the incident, and the footage aired on the news. I was shocked by what they took after a confrontation with the clerk, who tried to fend them off with a wooden stick. One person grabbed a display of lighters, probably totalling no more than $25, another took a bag of chips and two bottles of Sprite, and someone else took a tub of ice cream. My point is, this isn’t just about people targeting luxury watches anymore, but rather a sign that society has completely lost its mind. The absurdity of what was stolen highlights that this isn’t just about theft, but about deeper societal issues. These troubling incidents are reflections of social decline and irrational behaviour.
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:34 PM   #100
ColoradoTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss
Genuinely curious how you guys know what the current “buy” offers are for those Daytonas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ColoradoTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:47 PM   #101
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoTime View Post
Genuinely curious how you guys know what the current “buy” offers are for those Daytonas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
‘Hey xxxx, I have a 2024 126500ln full set, excellent condition, what would you offer’

………..
Old Today, 02:22 PM   #102
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
In addition to the potential crime, it is so hard to get a Rolex these days, I am not liking the message it sends to have one...either a groveling brown noser at an AD or overpaying at a grey....it has driven me to consider other brands/types of watches. Anyone else feel this way?
After collecting primarily rolex for 30+ years I'm moving on. Unlike AP that keeps data on your purchases with Rolex you're starting over if your AD loses their account.
4reRlxGuy is online now   Reply With Quote