The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Today, 12:43 AM   #1
Yadi_Collector
"TRF" Member

Buying with service but not original card or papers

Thinking of going grey for the first time.

Wondering what you all think of a watch that has legit service papers but not the original paperwork? Thanks
Yadi_Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:53 AM   #2
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN
How long ago was the service?

If its is outside the 2 year warranty, then obviously that would decrease it's value.

But the service card is a valid way of proving authenticity. The new style NFC service cards, even more so.

Personal opinion, from someone that sells used watches. You can never replace that original card, so if you want the feeling of having that going forward, then look for a watch that has it. You can always service later and get your own service card, but at a cost of $1,000+.

But if a freshly serviced watch is a priority, then go for one with the service card.

I recently sold a freshly serviced 6 digit GMT, that had 18 months of its warranty left. It was in immaculate and running perfectly. It didn't have its original warranty card.

It sold for the same price as what i would expect to get for the same watch, polished, with original card, but not recently serviced.

Which tells me, from a value perspective, a fresh Rolex service with card, is worth the same as the original warranty card.

Though it all depends on what a buyer prioritises.
GrailTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:59 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well if it's recent service papers with some warranty left I would take that option and even if the service paperwork had no warranty would still take that option over any outdated Rolex card or paper.With the service papers at least you know it was serviced by Rolex and watch was genuine.Over the many years of being around Rolex watches seen many fake Rolex papers that would fool most today.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:06 AM   #4
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well if it's recent service papers with some warranty left I would take that option and even if the service paperwork had no warranty would still take that option over any outdated Rolex card or paper.With the service papers at least you know it was serviced by Rolex and watch was genuine.Over the many years of being around Rolex watches seen many fake Rolex papers that would fool most today.
Agree. I have seen fake warranty cards too. Easy to spot when you know what you are looking for

Personally, I have never seen or heard of a fake old style service card. The fakers tend to focus on the original cards that go with a new fake watch, as opposed to creating fake service cards for genuine watches.

I'm glad Rolex are now making the new style NFC Service Cards.
Old Today, 01:21 AM   #5
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a Daytona
For me it's less about papers and more about the seller.

I bought a watch with no box and papers, because I got it from a bricks-and-mortar jeweler which was part of a chain and that chain was a Rolex AD (even though the specific outlet I bought from was not an AD). That calmed my authenticity-nerves far more than papers.
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:08 AM   #6
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
It's better than an appraisal from any watch store, but not as good as the original warranty card.
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:14 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadi_Collector View Post
. . .

Wondering what you all think of a watch that has legit service papers but not the original paperwork? Thanks

Nothing wrong with buying a watch that doesn't have "original" paperwork.
That is how you find the majority of watches in the used market place.

Now, if you actually mean "grey", which is always new products, and not used, then you should expect your new watch to come with papers, even if they are not valid (properly activated).
Old Today, 03:51 AM   #8
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
I would only buy that if a watch older than 10 years or so. If a more recent model, it should have docs! Was the service done by RSC? Be careful.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:55 AM   #9
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

It's a pass and no for me, always

Personally wouldn't matter to me since I buy to wear and not collect, but I know every dealer and their mother will yell and pound the table on why the value needs to be far lower if ever re-selling or trading it down the road which is why I'd hold out for an example with original papers/card/warranty
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:07 AM   #10
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
A few variables here to affect decision but generally I’d be ok with this. Especially if an older model.

Assuming you mean service papers from RSC too, not some random servicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:10 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I only buy full sets VMMV
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:27 AM   #12
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Service papers are widely regarded as just as good as original papers. You know the watch is authentic and isn't stolen. Win-win. Obviously the more recent the service card the better.

That said, for me personally - I'm with T-Bone
Old Today, 04:50 AM   #13
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I would be fine with it, and honestly, would prefer a recent service to an old watch with original papers and no service history.

Don't buy it for the next guy, buy it for yourself.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:54 AM   #14
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I would only buy that if a watch older than 10 years or so. If a more recent model, it should have docs! Was the service done by RSC? Be careful.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You would be surprised. There are many well off people who don't care about their box and papers. They come to trade it in and they would rather take a small loss then go retrieve them from their third home in The Hamptons.
Old Today, 06:03 AM   #15
Sublovin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
It's a pass and no for me, always

Personally wouldn't matter to me since I buy to wear and not collect, but I know every dealer and their mother will yell and pound the table on why the value needs to be far lower if ever re-selling or trading it down the road which is why I'd hold out for an example with original papers/card/warranty
Not being argumentative, but this logic always confused me. Everyone can agree that a watch that is missing the accessories would sell for less, which is something that should be considered when purchasing.
For example, I own a handful of watches without the accessories. I am fine with it, as I was able to use that as a way to purchase them for less. So if I ever go to sell them, I’m not concerned that I will be offered less, because that was already factored in when I bought them.
The only way to lose in the box/papers vs no box papers scenario, is if you had them and YOU lost them.
I have to say that as someone who has two large Rubbermaid containers of stupid watch boxes, I much prefer saving a few bucks and buying “naked” watches. I never go back and look at them. They provide no enjoyment and they take up space. I collect watches, not boxes, tags, and warranty cards😆
Old Today, 06:48 AM   #16
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Not being argumentative, but this logic always confused me. Everyone can agree that a watch that is missing the accessories would sell for less, which is something that should be considered when purchasing.
For example, I own a handful of watches without the accessories. I am fine with it, as I was able to use that as a way to purchase them for less. So if I ever go to sell them, I’m not concerned that I will be offered less, because that was already factored in when I bought them.
The only way to lose in the box/papers vs no box papers scenario, is if you had them and YOU lost them.
I have to say that as someone who has two large Rubbermaid containers of stupid watch boxes, I much prefer saving a few bucks and buying “naked” watches. I never go back and look at them. They provide no enjoyment and they take up space. I collect watches, not boxes, tags, and warranty cards😆

I get it, and again I'm not a collector so all I care about is getting the watch I want on my wrist at the best price, and I too also just throw the box and papers in my closets. But I also go through pieces quite often trading in and out, upgrading, downgrading etc. Even if buying a Rolex at a lower price because of no original papers/warranty card, I can almost guarantee a greater degree of loss down the road when trading it in, upgrading, downgrading, or outright selling and/or you won't have as much interest from dealers in absorbing that piece

Dealers will use their leverage in my experience to get you the lowest offer possible, whether older model year, scuffs/wear & tear, no box, no papers, etc.. so I like to hedge as best as possible paying a bit more for newer year, better condition, full sets and in return think I do a bit better when I move on from that piece to the next one

If you are buying to keep for a lifetime, which I've told myself 20 times ha ha, then original papers don't matter other than to help add qualification to authenticity.. YMMV!
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:50 AM   #17
bradyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Pass
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote