The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Today, 05:01 AM   #1
Djoker48
"TRF" Member

How did the Pepsi suddenly become a Rolex “Halo” Piece?

The king of the crown was always the Daytona. White or Black, until the middle of last year, the steel Daytona was always the quintessential end game for collectors and was always the hardest to get.

Cue the discontinuation rumors in the middle of last year and suddenly the Pepsi became almost as hard to get as the Daytona. As predicted, it didn’t get discontinued and Rolex issued a subtle “f you” to the ecosystem by designing their entire Watches and Wonders booth around the iconic red and blue Pepsi bezel.

But since then, I’ve seen the Pepsi achieve jumpsteps
In how it’s perceived. It’s no longer just the best of all GMTs but has achieved a halo status similar to the Daytona. People now talk about it being as hard to get as the Daytonas. ADs show a similar level of disdain to folks asking for the Pepsi as the Daytona (but claiming that the Sprite and Batman are still within the realm of possibility).

Was this always the end game for Rolex? Stir the pot a bit so that the average buyer, in his lifetime journey as a Rolex collector, has not one but *two* grails (the Daytona and Pepsi). And do we think that Rolex will do something for another piece.

It’a clear that the Pepsi is not going anywhere (the number of 2024 Pepsis on Chrono 24 are higher than the last 3-4 years and the year isn’t even done yet). But it’s also clear that the Pepsi is now perceived differently. Perhaps the Daytona should worry in getting usurped as the “king of the crown.”
Djoker48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:12 AM   #2
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN
Who knows for sure, but i would suspect Rolex wanted to create another grail that buyers could spend their way upto.
GrailTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:21 AM   #3
OTX
"TRF" Member

It hasn’t suddenly become a Halo piece. It always was!. It would make perfect sense for the Pepsi to have that kind of stature. It’s the original GMT and pre dates the Daytona. It’s where it belongs!. This has been a VIP piece since its launch but in the last couple of years, I would say it’s become a VVVIP watch due to dealers only receiving 3 or so a year according to the dealers I spoke to. At this point in time, I would say a steel Daytona is easier to get than a Pepsi.

The Daytona used to be alone at the top of the mountain of most wanted and hardest to get watches. Now it has company with the Pepsi. Given its heritage and DNA, it will stay that way. Rolex imo will keep production low on this piece to make sure of it. It’s a stunning piece in person and the demand and market price prove it.
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:21 AM   #4
HMHM
"TRF" Member

First of all, the BLRO is a great watch on its own without the additional hype. Its history is special, and it has actual usability for average people, especially if one travels a lot for work / leisure purposes. While the Daytona movement is arguably more complicated being a chronograph, it is really hard to find actual use of the function of a daily basis. So from function POV, I can understand why the BLRO is gaining popularity.

That being said, a lot of the present situation is due to the constant speculation of it being discontinued. If the roles were reversed and the BLNR was the chosen one to be "gossiped" as being discontinued, the same situation would have happened, irrespective of the colour of the bezel. Hence why people keep harping about watches being discontinued, especially if they "happened" to own one.....
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:25 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
This thread needs pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:26 AM   #6
Sublovin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Lots
I think you are mistaken (at least in my experience in the U.S.) regarding this new level of difficulty in obtaining a Pepsi. It has been that way for years. The reason it became so adored, IMO, was the absence. The period of time that it wasn’t available really created a greater desire and romanticism around the piece. When the ceramic was released it was an immediate hit and on everyone’s list.
This has been the case for years now. The lists have been years long here in the states, for the past several years.
Old Today, 05:28 AM   #7
THE_FOOT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tiffany OP 41mm
I don't really get the hype around the current iteration of the pepsi, i have a BLNR and have to say that i'm not a huge fan of the ceramic bezels, getting the BLNR pushed me into buying a 16700 instead of a current pepsi and i have to say the older aluminium bezel models are just better in every way, anyone hankering after a pepsi and can't get one from an AD just buy an older one, you won't be disappointed!

Last edited by THE_FOOT; Today at 05:29 AM.. Reason: spelling error
THE_FOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:29 AM   #8
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

The Pepsi has always been popular when in production and it has gone over the top with the rumors that continue about it being discontinued. The GMT models have increased quite significantly and they keep coming, they add a new bezel or bracelet every year now because it is so popular and will continue to be. The demand will continue.

The Daytona is in another class by itself, especially the SS models. All Daytona’s

Cheers,
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:38 AM   #9
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
I think you are mistaken (at least in my experience in the U.S.) regarding this new level of difficulty in obtaining a Pepsi. It has been that way for years. The reason it became so adored, IMO, was the absence. The period of time that it wasn’t available really created a greater desire and romanticism around the piece. When the ceramic was released it was an immediate hit and on everyone’s list.
This has been the case for years now. The lists have been years long here in the states, for the past several years.
This. Each year Rolex tends to highlight one of their new releases and in March 2018 it was bringing back the SS BLRO after several years of absence from the previous model. It now had a ceramic bezel and was on Jubilee and lots of people wanted one.
At my AD each SA got to pick two clients to get one of the first dozen and I got mine in December of that year. They’ve been in high demand ever since, I don’t think there’s any particular treatment from RolexSA to make it “special.”
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:47 AM   #10
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FOOT View Post
I don't really get the hype around the current iteration of the pepsi, i have a BLNR and have to say that i'm not a huge fan of the ceramic bezels, getting the BLNR pushed me into buying a 16700 instead of a current pepsi and i have to say the older aluminium bezel models are just better in every way, anyone hankering after a pepsi and can't get one from an AD just buy an older one, you won't be disappointed!

Agree.

The red ceramic is poorly executed.

L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:50 AM   #11
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FOOT View Post
I love the 6 digit GMT and the ceramic bezel.

The 5 and 4 digits are equally good, just in a different way.

The aluminum bezel is definitely a cleaner red/blue than the ceramics.
GrailTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:07 AM   #12
Bro Watch
"TRF" Member

Indeed, it is an excellent timepiece.

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk
Bro Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:09 AM   #13
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

The Rolex GMT II (regardless of bezel color) is the best/most functional/most recognizable GMT on the market. While the Daytona is certainly the most hyped chronograph, there are many whose legibility/functionality are better.

I think most busy people, it they are being honest, find a GMT function more useful than a chrono.

That being said, I am sure the Daytona is more of a flex….which is why I won’t own one…

Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune/Lava
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:28 AM   #14
consumerignorance
"TRF" Member

Here’s your answer:

Tom Selleck
consumerignorance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:29 AM   #15
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
People simply discovered the superiority of GMT over Chrono.

My sources tell me BLRO is now above Daytona in terms of “you won’t get it”.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:30 AM   #16
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

Every thread needs pics.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:07 AM   #17
Mystro

It’s the most popular of the GMT line but the entire SS GMT line up has been on fire for a while now. That said after owning a BLRO, I left it go and find the BLNR the better looker in my eyes. The odd and more interesting factor if you like the BLRO color scheme is the PM BLRO as they don’t sell and can be purchased at a good price in comparison.

As far a “halo” status?……The BLRO is harder to get in the GMT line up but not even close to a white SS Daytona or how dealers award them to high spending customers. There is at least a $10k spread between the two models in their street selling price.

The red/blue just came off too raspberry/periwinkle for my taste. If Rolex could get the red stronger and match the blue to the BLNR then I may revisit buying one again.
Old Today, 08:10 AM   #18
PandaLover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Watch View Post

PandaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:29 AM   #19
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I've never liked the Daytona. I've always liked the Pepsi. I don't relate to the two halo proposition but I can understand why the BLRO is popular.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:32 AM   #20
daysky1
"TRF" Member

My AD has been very good to me.
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:35 AM   #21
Deep18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

That second picture is art.
Deep18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:04 AM   #22
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep18 View Post
That second picture is art.

brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:20 AM   #23
4 Aussies

Watch: Blue Sky
What's not to love?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pepsi 1..jpg (191.2 KB, 0 views)
4 Aussies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:28 AM   #24
NAUI1982

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Watch View Post

Wow, three of the hardest Rolex watches to find from an AD. That’s an impressive trio right there.
NAUI1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:32 AM   #25
4 Aussies

Watch: Blue Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAUI1982 View Post
Wow, three of the hardest Rolex watches to find from an AD. That’s an impressive trio right there.
Well said, Doug!!
4 Aussies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:33 AM   #26
fl370
"TRF" Member

SA at a local AD showed my the list of “expected deliveries” for the year 2024. SS BLRO was “4” allocations for the year. Two have come in PCL, one just came in Jubilee. One remaining for the year, unless unexpected ones show up. I’m assuming it’s split 2 PCL 2 Jubilee. But at four pieces for the year on a watch that everyone wants, that adds up to a lonng wait! SA mentioned he’s stopped taking “requests” for it, since they receive so few.
fl370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:51 AM   #27
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
The BLRO has a mystic because of its lengthy history in the Rolex catalogue. The alliance with Pan Am during arguably the dawn of commercial flight allied to the unmistakable beauty of the blue and red colors have always made it a huge hit amongst many generations of Rolex owners. There isn’t a reason why it be more or less successful or ‘halo’ than the Daytona. In fact, many overlook that the Daytona was a terrible selling Rolex up until the introduction of the automatic movement Zenith in 1988. The BLRO has been a hit since day one and it’s appeal has never waned.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:56 AM   #28
Mystro

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
The BLRO has a mystic because of its lengthy history in the Rolex catalogue. The alliance with Pan Am during arguably the dawn of commercial flight allied to the unmistakable beauty of the blue and red colors have always made it a huge hit amongst many generations of Rolex owners. There isn’t a reason why it be more or less successful or ‘halo’ than the Daytona. In fact, many overlook that the Daytona was a terrible selling Rolex up until the introduction of the automatic movement Zenith in 1988. The BLRO has been a hit since day one and it’s appeal has never waned.

yea…but Paul Newman wore the unpopular SS Daytona at the track while racing and well…….after a $17.7 million record sale kinda put the Rolex Daytona in another universe of status above any other wrist watch.