The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Today, 03:06 AM   #1
MilesKita-2023
"TRF" Member

Deep Sea

My AD called me to tell me he has a Deep Sea on his "incoming list" for me. This would be my second Rolex (first is a Bluesy Sub). It was definitely on my list along with a GMT, Yacht Master and Daytona (of course). I'm curious to know what current (and previous) owners think of the watch and if it is worth adding to the growing collection.

Thanks all!
MilesKita-2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:13 AM   #2
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Deep Sea

Yes if it’s the blue James Cameron dial. Not so much if it’s the black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:17 AM   #3
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Make sure it’s got the new dial sans ‘Sea-Dweller’ text.
dmash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:57 AM   #4
Sublovin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Lots
Well, I am the opposite of the above two posts. I have had a black dial for several years and it is my most worn of all of my Rolex. I love it. I had a blue dial and did not keep it long, just didn’t do it for me as an everyday piece.
Additionally, I prefer the Sea Dweller reference on the dial, as that is what it was created to be. The beefiest of the Sea Dweller range.
I like that it’s a less loved piece. Easy to obtain, fun watch!
Old Today, 06:11 AM   #5
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Well, I am the opposite of the above two posts. I have had a black dial for several years and it is my most worn of all of my Rolex. I love it. I had a blue dial and did not keep it long, just didn’t do it for me as an everyday piece.
Additionally, I prefer the Sea Dweller reference on the dial, as that is what it was created to be. The beefiest of the Sea Dweller range.
I like that it’s a less loved piece. Easy to obtain, fun watch!
I'm saying that because his AD is telling him he 'has one coming in', but if it has the Sea-Dweller text, that's old stock, the AD is shady/liars, and I wouldn't want to do biz with them anyways.

This is aside from how I think the Deepsea looks cleaner with one less line of text myself though :p It's precisely what finally put me over the edge to buy it.
Old Today, 06:14 AM   #6
Sublovin
2024 Pledge Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I'm saying that because his AD is telling him he 'has one coming in', but if it has the Sea-Dweller text, that's old stock, the AD is shady/liars, and I wouldn't want to do biz with them anyways.

This is aside from how I think the Deepsea looks cleaner with one less line of text myself though :p It's precisely what finally put me over the edge to buy it.
Gotcha. I like all of the wording on the Deepsea. If you are a “less is more” kind of watch guy, the Deepsea is probably the wrong watch ��
Old Today, 06:17 AM   #7
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Gotcha. I like all of the wording on the Deepsea. If you are a “less is more” kind of watch guy, the Deepsea is probably the wrong watch ��
Haha yeah, Deepsea is an 'all or nothing' type timepiece. You gotta commit to it being a tank (especially for Rolex) and appreciate its capabilities. It's not a Sub replacement like a lot of guys try to force it to be, and then get let down and say it's way too big. I don't think it's too big at all, I think it's perfectly proportioned for what it is and the perfect diver DUO to go with a Sub or SD40, etc.
Old Today, 06:17 AM   #8
Actor07
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 126519
I had the DSSD JC as well. It is a great watch. However, it was getting less wrist time than my Daytona WG on Oysterflex (black dial). The Sea Dweller with the lack dial without the cyclops is a classic and is the beefier Sub. I just can't get used to a diving watch with the date complication; it's unnecessary in my opinion. I'll probably pick up a Sub no date next or the Titanium Deep Sea Challenge (also has no date).
Actor07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:19 AM   #9
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor07 View Post
I had the DSSD JC as well. It is a great watch. However, it was getting less wrist time than my Daytona WG on Oysterflex (black dial). The Sea Dweller with the lack dial without the cyclops is a classic and is the beefier Sub. I just can't get used to a diving watch with the date complication; it's unnecessary in my opinion. I'll probably pick up a Sub no date next or the Titanium Deep Sea Challenge (also has no date).
Serious question, would you truly wear that 50mm Deepsea or have it just for a collection piece? I just can't see anybody wearing that around casually, it's so extreme
Old Today, 06:24 AM   #10
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesKita-2023 View Post
My AD called me to tell me he has a Deep Sea on his "incoming list" for me. This would be my second Rolex (first is a Bluesy Sub). It was definitely on my list along with a GMT, Yacht Master and Daytona (of course). I'm curious to know what current (and previous) owners think of the watch and if it is worth adding to the growing collection.

Thanks all!
Well, you sound like you have doubts already.

If you’ve bonded with the Sub then I reckon there’s a fair chance you won’t be reaching much for the DeepSea. The two wear very differently.
drrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:34 AM   #11
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
In my view the Deepsea is preferable with the black dial over the JC, especially if you already have a Bluesy. While lovely the JC dial is too in your face while the black is a beefy sleeper. And I also prefer the previous additional line of text as it balances out the dial. I forgot who here said that he preferred the first Deepsea because it was the original vision of the design and I wholeheartedly agree so you could do worse than new old stock.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:42 AM   #12
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

I can't believe you guys don't think this is killer!

Old Today, 07:07 AM   #13
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No doubt your square-on picture looks great. It’s by no means the full story of this watch though.

And if it looks off balance from the side, it wears more so.
drrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:50 AM   #14
Sublovin
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

It’s a nice watch. The dial and green writing just aren’t my thing on a steel diver. I like my dive watches like my coffee
Old Today, 08:15 AM   #15
daysky1
"TRF" Member

I agree with the above post if it's a James Cameron dial then yes if not then that's for you to decide I just let you know what my choice would be. Oh in case you didn't catch i'm a James Cameron dial kind of person otherwise i would ask for a just a Sea-Dweller instead of a deep sea because the sea-Dweller is just a larger Submariner with a helium Escape valve in my humble opinion. I seem to remember the possibility of a two-tone deep sea Sea-Dweller that might be worth looking into or maybe that was just a two-tone Sea-Dweller I'm not positive but either case I am a fan of the two-tone watches.https://imgur.com/9nOA05m
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:50 AM   #16
rohada
"TRF" Member

Did you try one on before letting the AD know you wanted it? I love mine, but it's not for everyone. Though a heavy watch, it has a real presence. The JC is a pretty watch, but I like the tool watch look of the black dial in this application. Nothing wrong with either. The glidelock enables a secure fit, which helps manage the heft. If you like to wear watches a bit loose, then this may prove to be an uncomfortable watch. Others can weigh in on that if they wear it loose. I do not wear it loose. Good luck to you.
Old Today, 10:56 AM   #17
aehaas
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS Challenge
I like this one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2516.1200.jpg (184.2 KB, 71 views)
aehaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:04 AM   #18
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

The JC is the nicest combo in my opinion, I like the older reference 12 series because of the bracelet. Very heavy and large watch not for everyone as mentioned.
Try it first and see how it feels on your wrist before you pull the trigger.

Great choice and you don’t see many out there.

Cheers ,
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:09 AM   #19
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Now that’s a watch! 50mm never seen one in the wild, like those Foster’s beer commercials…
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:19 AM   #20
MilesKita-2023
"TRF" Member

Deep Sea

Thanks, drd - Not really doubt but it’s on of 3 others on my list and my only concern is should I hold off and wait/try for the GMT or Daytona or should that be seen as a more longer term play?

Thanks again.

If you’ve bonded with the Sub then I reckon there’s a fair chance you won’t be reaching much for the DeepSea. The two wear very differently.[/QUOTE]
MilesKita-2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:32 AM   #21
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
I think it’s worth adding. Super cool watch!
Old Today, 05:31 PM   #22
Toivonen
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller Deepsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesKita-2023 View Post

Thanks all!
Absolutely yes, and Black is very Special too, here in Europe still have not seen the new dial one. Ps
‘Deepsea’, not ‘Deep Sea’
https://www.facebook.com/bandadellavalvola/
http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=75294392
Toivonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:52 PM   #23
can-am
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes
Absolutely love mine.

can-am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:23 PM   #24
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogdanS View Post
Yes if it’s the blue James Cameron dial. Not so much if it’s the black.

]
Outstanding photos and exactly why the dial makes this reference
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:35 PM   #25
CaptT

Have owned both black and D-blue dials (126660), no doubt the D-blue is stunning and unique, though in hindsight the black felt a little more utilitarian, the D-blue more like art. Capabilities obviously the same, though, comes down to personal preference, and like many I find this model quite comfortable despite its size. A great compliment to your current Sub, always a special occasion when the DSSD is on wrist!
CaptT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:58 PM   #26
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Opinions will vary but it's a huge yes for me.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote