The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM   #1
swully
"TRF" Member

Is this a good deal

I was offered a 2022 no date submariner purchased from mayors of Tampa, papers/card but no box for 10.5K out the door from a local jeweler.

He told me that they sent it away to be polished by someone that worked for Tudor. I'm not familiar with what to look for regarding if it were over polished. I also do not know how much value will be lost for being polished.

I've been on a waitlist for 3 years for the Daytona with the white dial and the blnr on jubilee. I know those models are difficult to come by, especially for not having any purchase history. I decided today to get on the waitlist for the submariner as well, in hopes it's a bit more obtainable. It seems that inventory is increasing, today at mayors of Tampa there was an entire wall full of watches that were available, when usually there are none.

My current lineup is a YG DD40 and TT serti sub. I'd like to add a steel model within a reasonable time frame then continue my long wait for the Daytona and blnr.

My questions are:

1. Is this watch a good deal for being used and polished?

2. Should I wait for a new sub from the ad since inventory is increasing?

3. What's a typical wait time?

4. Will purchasing a steel sub from the ad hurt or help my chances for the Daytona and blnr?

Thanks for any advice

IMG_7334.jpeg

IMG_7335.jpeg

IMG_7330.jpeg

IMG_7333.jpeg
swully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM   #2
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

I'm surprised they even would put your name down for the Daytona because you are not getting it.

The GMT with no purchase history or special circumstances also you have no chance of buying from an AD.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM   #3
swully
"TRF" Member

Guess I’ll go take my name off the waitlists
swully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM   #4
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Put your name down for a Sub at a few ADs and wait it out. The wait shouldn’t be too long, and you’ve already got two Rolexes to enjoy in the meantime
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM   #5
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

16% premium over Sub MSRP. Actually less because there be taxes from your AD. This shouldn’t be difficult watch to get. This was offered to me after a few months with zero prior purchase. I’d pass.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM   #6
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by swully View Post
Guess I’ll go take my name off the waitlists
I don’t think this is correct. As others have said, go to an AD and tell them what you are interested in. I didn’t believe I would be able to get some watches including the BLNR on Jubilee but they eventually came my way after waiting. Just hang in there and good luck to you.
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM   #7
stevestil
"TRF" Member

I’d go put your name down for the sub and it’ll come eventually.

As far as the Daytona goes, that’s a different story…… my bet is that without a significant bump in your spend, you are nowhere near getting it from your AD as of now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevestil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #8
APhound
"TRF" Member

Nice dd! Where’d you get it? If you got it at an AD you’ll have no problem getting a sub within a few months I bet.
Otherwise, if you just want a watch, go for it- it looks good to me. It’s not always worth going into an AD and dealing with them- just get what you want when you want it. If a sub or gmt or Daytona comes in down the road you can sell your old ones off for a small loss. Worth it to enjoy what you want when you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM   #9
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
I would have thought you should be able to secure a sub via your AD. Maybe just wait and play the long game
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM   #10
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
A sub isn’t out of the question. You won’t get a daytona though, and BLNR jubilee will also be a struggle.

I’d focus on the sub or go for unworn sub on grey. Shouldn’t pay much more than 15 odd percent over, as someone said.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM   #11
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

As a potential alternative POV….

Some of you guys don’t value your time as much as me (and others). A 20% premium over MSRP to go grey, is in reality only about 12.5% for most states. I will HAPPILY pay around $1.25k for the convenience of zero wait, not having to play some cat and mouse with an authorized dealer, potentially follow up with a smile, and continue to do so multiple times until allocation. 6 visits in 6 months time, especially if an AD is say a 1 hour trek, you’re talking >10hours and still not even a guarantee you’ll get it. I value my time at more than $100/hr. You guys don’t?

Not trying to stir the pot or something, but everybody always defaults to ‘absolutely don’t go grey for that, just get from AD’. Ok but at what cost?

And a random sub purchase isn’t getting you any closer to a GMT or Daytona, so let’s not bring in that logic.
dmash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM   #12
Victor Cohen
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LV /16710
OP, I don't understand your logic.

You are on the list with an AD for a GMT BLRO and a Daytona.

Watches that you will certainly never have without a purchase history, sorry to be direct. You decide to buy a Sub (by the way it's gorgeous watch) that a Grey Dealer offers you without it really being a watch that you want.

You give me the impression of making a completely irrational panic buy. If you want a BLRO or a Daytona from your AD, go spend your money with him instead.

If you don't want to wait or spend your money on a watch that you don't want, ask the Grey dealer to source you a BLRO or a Daytona directly.
Victor Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM   #13
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I have gone grey for 15% or less. We all draw the line in a different place. If I believed I stood any chance of getting a new one from an AD I would have waited. Your chances of getting a new Sub from an AD are unknown, but for the Sub I don't think it would hurt to make a few enquiries and wait a few months - unless you can't wait.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM   #14
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I have gone grey for 15% or less. We all draw the line in a different place. If I believed I stood any chance of getting a new one from an AD I would have waited. Your chances of getting a new Sub from an AD are unknown, but for the Sub I don't think it would hurt to make a few enquiries and wait a few months - unless you can't wait.
My lines a similar place
yankeeromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
10.5 is a good price for that reference IMO
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM   #16
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
If you do not ask, you will not get. So I would wear my DD and go into as many convenient AD's as possible. Have a friendly conversation about the watches you are interested in and enquire as to your ability to purchase them. No such thing as a list at the AD's. You have names of individuals who are interested in watches but they are not going down a list and giving the next watch to the person in the queue. You never know, you may hit it off with a SA and be offered a Submariner on the spot or after a short wait. The Daytona or the GMT, probably not so much. I would also look at our Trusted Sellers web sites and see what the Submariners are going for. I would believe you could find one for a reasonable price after you back out the sales tax you would pay at the AD's. You can negotiate, usually 2-5% off asking, pay and have the watch the next day by lunch. As a more experienced collector/hobbyist I take my time very seriously and have done the AD thing years ago and typically do not do it now. Good luck and let us know how you proceed.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM   #17
cdmorenot

Watch: = Want them all.
I just saw another one on the FS section here for just $2K more. Unpolished, fully boxed up. I’d get that instead.

I don’t like the brushing on the back. Looks sloppy.
Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM   #18
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
That's a fair price.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote