The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM   #31
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
I hear these comments more and more, not a coincidence that Rolex is setting up his preowned market up and running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM   #32
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by milgauss2232 View Post
How does RSC know if a watch has been opened to check? Is there a seal?
Rolex has a special tool to open the back. The back can be taken off using other tools. I think there is a gasket which is normally replaced when the watch is opened by Rolex and a third party may have to re-use the same gasket and these can get crimped. This is why some watchmakers only service the brands they can get factory gaskets/seals for through some type of parts account.

I suspect most of the time a competent watchmaker can open the watch without issues, but why bother if it is not needed to simply authenticate the watch.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM   #33
milgauss2232
"TRF" Member

Watch: the watchmen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Rolex has a special tool to open the back. The back can be taken off using other tools. I think there is a gasket which is normally replaced when the watch is opened by Rolex and a third party may have to re-use the same gasket and these can get crimped. This is why some watchmakers only service the brands they can get factory gaskets/seals for through some type of parts account.

I suspect most of the time a competent watchmaker can open the watch without issues, but why bother if it is not needed to simply authenticate the watch.
That is great information, thank you very much!
milgauss2232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:55 AM   #34
Dave O
"TRF" Member

During the pandemic and just for the hell of it I ordered and purchased a Rolex Sub superclone just to see how good they really are (no plans to wear it, just out of curiosity). I compared it to my Sub and as others have said, there are some easy tell tale signs that it is a fake. First and foremost, the laser etching on the Rehaut. The superclones as much as they try, just can't match the perfection of a Rolex. The second thing that gives it away to me anyway is the clasp. The parts used on the glidelock are different, and a dead giveaway when using a loop.

There are many articles out there with pictures using a macro lens of all of the main superclone manufacturers and an authentic Rolex pointing out the differences. I'm confident all of the trusted sellers know this as well and what to look for. It's really an easy see using a loop.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:13 AM   #35
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Some probably don’t.

But there’s no way it’s more cost and time effective. The margin on Rolexes is so low. Sell 1 fake, sets them back 10 sales and they have to deal with fall out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
My guess is (and it’s purely a guess)..

Other than their naked eye and experience…..

They don’t.

It’s probably more cost and time effective to replace one watch in a thousand under an authenticity guarantee than it is to thoroughly authenticate each piece.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:01 AM   #36
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Only way to be 100% sure is to buy from an AD. If you cannot get the Rolex you want from the AD, or you are unwilling to wait, go to another brand. Lots of great watches out there.
GST15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:49 AM   #37
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post
. If you cannot get the Rolex you want from the AD, or you are unwilling to wait, go to another brand. .
Unnecessary fear mongering
136660 Deepsea
336934 Sky-Dweller
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:11 AM   #38
Kenny G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
The good ones open them up. And the best ones do it carefully to not leave marks. But some just do a visual inspection. The thing with these dealers is that the good ones see so many watches come in on a daily basis they really can tell rather quickly. There really isn’t such a thing as a “super clone” if you’re paying attention and know what to look for. While fakes can often get certain things right, they never get everything right.

While you need to look at the movement to be 100% sure it hasn’t been swapped out into a real case, often putting the watch on a timer can be a first clue as to whether you need to inspect further. Things like the screws on the bracelet are an easy tell that the Fakes haven’t mastered ever.
This 100%.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:15 AM   #39
jeffgo888
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me disappear into
Dont think this would be an issue, specially if it does come with papers, as the serial can be matched.
Plus, send the piece to RSC for maintenance and that 1000% seguro that its the real deal.

Which reminds me, my Pepsi 2023 is running annoyingly behind, sometimes 5 mins off base.
have to send it for sync.

jeffgo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:23 AM   #40
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgo888 View Post
Dont think this would be an issue, specially if it does come with papers, as the serial can be matched.
Plus, send the piece to RSC for maintenance and that 1000% seguro that its the real deal.

Which reminds me, my Pepsi 2023 is running annoyingly behind, sometimes 5 mins off base.
have to send it for sync.
Uh oh, is the movement real??!

Haha jk
136660 Deepsea
336934 Sky-Dweller
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:53 AM   #41
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Unnecessary fear mongering
Not fear mongering. No other way to be 100% sure. That’s my opinion, and the way I purchase watches. You are free to buy from who you would like. I don’t trust the grey market.
GST15 is online now   Reply With Quote