The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Today, 02:33 AM   #1
sigma089
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, GS, PP
126500ln grey vs. OYsterflex Daytona at AD

Hi,

I would like to get your perspective.

I have been collecting watches for around 15 years and would like to get my hands on a Daytona. I am based in Europe and apart from that model, I have owned practically everything I have ever been interested in within my price range (max <35k EUR; norm. 10-15k EUR).

TLDR:
Should I start looking for a 126500ln (white) despite its absurd premium over an Oysterflex Daytona at retail which I'll probably get allocated in 1-2 years?

LR:
My current Rolex collection consists of a matte 5513 and a 126234 (blue fluted dial). I have other watches (mainly GS), but they are out of the equation for this question. I owned a 5164a for some time, but decided to sell it because I felt it wore too large (6.5 inch wrist), loved it otherwise.

I have a 126610LV on the way (have been waiting for two years and will get it within the next 12 months according to my AD) and I am on the list for a 126710GRNR which shouldn't be too hard to get as far as I can tell from discussion in the forums. I have a reasonably good relationship with two Rolex ADs, nothing special though.

My question:
I would like to get a 1265XXln Daytona. I put my name down for the rose oysterflex (126515ln black) at one AD and for the yellow gold (126518ln Pikachu) at the other. I felt it was "a better deal" at retail than going grey for a 126500ln which I have zero chances getting allocated. But is it really?

I figure with a little haggling in today's market I will be able to get a mint/new 126500ln (white) for 27.500 EUR / 30.000 USD. While that's an enormous premium over retail, it's still cheaper than a RG/WG/YG Oysterflex at around 35.000 EUR / 38.000 USD. If I decide I don't want to keep it, resale should be easier as well. I am afraid that either PM (even Pikachu) will be a harder sale.

I do have the money, but if I buy the Oysterflex, I will have to get rid of or decline at least the LV or GRNR (LV probably, because I like GMTs). Due to it being PM, I expect a wait of around 1-2 years for the Oysterflex and have been told as much. I don't believe Oysterflex Daytonas will be trading over retail in long run, with exception of maybe the Pikachu, though I don't think that'll stabilize more than 5-10 percent over retail.

What do you think? Am I crazy for even considering going grey for the SS Daytona over the Oysterflex at such a high premium?

I figure retail (and grey with it) will be rising like it always has in the long run. So isn't buying it in today's market a more sensible choice, than maybe getting the Oysterflex and potentially eating a 5.000-10.000ish loss on it when the PM market normalizes?

Really appreciate your thoughts.
sigma089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:43 AM   #2
Osmin
"TRF" Member

Simple question:

What do you want? A steel or a PM Daytona?
Osmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:45 AM   #3
BriansRolex
"TRF" Member

Totally different watches it really boils down to which you prefer and will get the most wear and enjoyment out of rather than which will be an easier sell down the road if/when you decide to liquidate it
BriansRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:49 AM   #4
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a Daytona
Right now on Chrono24, Certified and from professional dealer in Europe:

Cheapest 126500: $31,112
Cheapest OF Daytona: $39,408
Cheapest full-gold Daytona: $35,876

Full-gold blows the other two out of the water for value.
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:46 AM   #5
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
AD is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:57 AM   #6
Dave O
"TRF" Member

It's really is a personal decision that you will ultimately have to decide on. That being said, I too was smitten over a SS white dial Daytona. It was THE watch I was after. That is, until my AD suggested going PM. I had never really thought about going PM until he put the bug in my head. The next day I told him let's put me down for a RG Daytona on a Sundust dial in OF. 4 months later the watch arrived and it's just gorgeous. So much so that I no longer have any interest in the SS Daytona. In fact, I now have the PM bug and will be looking towards more PM watches in the future.

Note: I had never even considered going grey for the SS Daytona. Way too much of a markup for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6140.1.jpg (247.6 KB, 0 views)
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:08 AM   #7
Daytona king
"TRF" Member

126500ln grey vs. OYsterflex Daytona at AD

The pikachu is better than a SS panda. Especially if you are paying about the same price. Who knows what the prices will be in 2 years. I would say this though. The OF pikachu imo is harder to get than a SS panda. I know a lot of collectors who want the pikachu and got the panda and are still waiting for the OF pikachu.

On wearability and comfort on the wrist nothing beats the OF Daytona.

This is just a 126xxx panda vs pikachu discussion on my side. The other OF are not as strong in the market if you value that aspect. For me I don’t care about that because I wear my watches. Is it nice to know my money is safe? Yes. If I wear for a few years and If im hard up lose a few grand, I’m ok with that. I doubt that will happen but if it did it would be ok. Who knows the SS panda might go down to 20k in 2 years. Watches are meant to be worn. Not investments unless you have a meteorite Daytona or a Lemans/ vintage.

You also state you think you are getting other watches in the next few years. Nothing is given. If you have a strong relationship those watches should be wait listed in months not years. Don’t count on a watch promised to you in 2 years to fund a Daytona in 2 years. That’s not really how the watch market works. 1 in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daytona king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:01 AM   #8
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

Once you go gold you don’t look back to steel. If you can go full yellow gold instead of OF.
Mrngrz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:09 AM   #9
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
SS Daytona is an ICON, not and oysterflex
Daytona, that’s a Rolex. I was lucky to get it at retail after spending 12k in jewelry only.
I would have paid the premium to have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:53 AM   #10
MarioB83
"TRF" Member

AD way for me
MarioB83 is offline   Reply With Quote